Bafang hub opener tool - anyone sell/hire/lend me ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Morning

I'm seeking to beg /borrow/buy/hire a hub opener tool for a bafang swxk hub

I know that greenbike kit sell them but I use my bike for commuting and am hoping for a faster solution that posting from China

Of anyone able to help I'd be most greatful !

Kirstin

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks trex - tried that to no avail. Also tried making a tool but used a type of epoxy resin putty to form the four teeth - under a heck lot of pressure they sheared off

Grub screw .....ahhh , didn't check that ! Could be my issue . Will check this eve when I'm home

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Bugger - I've trashed 2 grub screws - they are nearly sideways :(

Maybe I can drill them out but then it will be ruined for future use

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can drill them out for now. When you put the lid back on, you'll have to stop when the lid is tightly shut, the holes from the lid probably won't line up with the old holes on the motor shell, you will have to drill and thread new holes an put in a new grub screw anyway.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks trex - ok next stage , they are drilled out and cover is off

Looks like this on both sides. I have tried hitting the axle as hard as I can with a bit of wood

Not coming through - am
I missing something ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Incidentally the tool I made took 5 minutes and cost a few pence ( couple of hours to cure)
It worked just fine - it was the grub screws that were the issue

Epoxy putty, cling film and an old disc - viola

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it may help you to woble the spindle a bit on the opened side.
I'd put the wheel nut back on the rotor side for a bigger surface to hit, piece of wood over it, then one big hit - the core will drop.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
it may help you to woble the spindle a bit on the opened side.
I'd put the wheel nut back on the rotor side for a bigger surface to hit, piece of wood over it, then one big hit - the core will drop.
Thanks yet again - can I check something. With you ? On the rotor side there is a flat section at the base of the threaded axel. Does this need loosening with a spanner ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
as far as I remember (the last time I opened one of those was 3 years ago), the core is held between two ball bearings - the bearings are pressured into the aluminium housing. All it needed is a very sharp tap.

inside is something like this:

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Right , I'll start doing bicep curls then for this evenings axle bashing :)

Thanks for all help - much apprec

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Right I had to hit it really hard but eventually it popped open

Yes- mashed gears as suspected

Andy at woosh is saving the day by supplying replacement that looks like this - I think it's the right one . The price was excellent too

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need to remove the ball bearing which seems stuck to the spindle with a bit of rust.
after that, if I remember correctly, remove a small circlip that retains the gearbox then the gearbox will slide out.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
you need to remove the ball bearing which seems stuck to the spindle with a bit of rust.
after that, if I remember correctly, remove a small circlip that retains the gearbox then the gearbox will slide out.
Just rust holding that on ? Wow - I'll give it a bit more of a bash then

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've tried using a spanner behind it and hitting it

Tried loads of gt85 to loosen it

Tried using two hammers - one on the nail puller side between the bearing and the motor and hitting with the other

Not budging at all-I'm going to do damage if I hit harder

Any ideas?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
suggestion: take it to a garage to get some help with removing the ball bearing.
the motor spindle is made of steel, it bends fairly easily, also easy to straighten.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks again - I worked out a a way to it with three bits of curved steel

Gears are are changed - thanks woosh !

Next obstacles are

1) the bearing will not fit back Into the hub casing. I have hit it really hard but the hole seems a little elliptical . Should I loosen off all the spokes ?

2) one if the circlips on the axle next to gears broke on removal. How critical is this really ?

All your help massively appreciate as ever !

Kirstin

Advertisers