Bbs01 350w replacement controller shadow of the old

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Short story.Was great out of the box.A problem developed after rain drenchings.Eclipse bikes tested the controller.It was the culprit and they replaced it.They assure me its programmed as 350w 18amp. But its gutless.Its like my grans motobility scooter ,nothing like it used to be.

Obviously a different production as its got extra cables for a torque sensor and light . But why so different in power? Could it be eclipse themselves have changed the settings. The old one on PAS 3 (out of 5) was about the same as this on PAS 5. Sure the throttle knocks up the power.But before, i could get by on PAS 4 . On PAS 5 this is short of that ,an i find im having to use the throttle so much,its reduced the range considerably. Especially as the throttle seems more powerfull than before.It will reach 24mph on the flat compared to 22 previously.

Ive no idea what the old controller settings were,or what would likely have been altered compared to it. It will invalidate the warrenty to change stuff. I cant imagine the bafang factory would have programmed the PAS of a 350w 18amp version so weak.I can barely get to 15mph without the throttle. I asked Eclipse but got ignored,so guess im stuffed somewhat

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just program it to your liking with the programming cable. I reckon Eclipse have reprogrammed the controller to minimize returns on failures. Latest controllers are fairly bulletproof anyway. No point in riding around on a bike you're not happy with ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

It'll be the keep current programmed to low. Loads of people have had that. You need to reprogram it.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi

The new controller has different pas settings to the old one, some suppliers are now conservative with the basic settings [to many replacements under warranty]. if it runs better on the throttle it is just a case of forget the warranty and put a laptop on and adjust the pas settings and get your:) back

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks everyone for the input. So its keep current i need to look at. Will have borrow someones laptop ,i have a cable. Im annoyed, I think vendors should be prohibited by the manufacturer from altering their product. Now im going to have to throw away my warrenty.No wonder Eclipse didnt own up when i insisted its lost all its poke.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AFAICT they come out of Bafangs factory pre programmed at 20% KC, then resellers may sometimes reprogram them.
My one from Woosh 2014 came as KC 20% and don't believe Woosh reprogram so must have been factory set, low KC is good for battery range but makes hills a bit more of an effort.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
AFAICT they come out of Bafangs factory pre programmed at 20% KC, then resellers may sometimes reprogram them.
My one from Woosh 2014 came as KC 20% and don't believe Woosh reprogram so must have been factory set, low KC is good for battery range but makes hills a bit more of an effort.
My original must have been set well over 20 % and the new one just as it comes at this 20 % setting.

To be honest i prefer my simple chinese iron horse.Got a watt meter as a display, an only brake an throttle connected out of the dozens of features. With its cheap as chips controller tweaked to 19amps. Single gear 42t x 16t .It flies along at 20mph ,has powerful acceleration ,leaves the bbs eating dust.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Now im going to have to throw away my warrenty.
Why do you think your warranty will be void? Just save the original settings (.el file), program your own, then if anything goes wrong, load the original settings into the controller. Peeps will be none the wiser ;)

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Why do you think your warranty will be void? Just save the original settings (.el file), program your own, then if anything goes wrong, load the original settings into the controller. Peeps will be none the wiser ;)
Didnt think of that fordulike ,of course.Nice one. Just need my laptop.Left it with a mate in plymouth 6 months back.The other main reason ive not been tempted to tweak programming ha ha .

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
It'll be the keep current programmed to low. Loads of people have had that. You need to reprogram it.
Update for anyone interested.After several suggestions that the issue is a low keep current.Finally got around to connecting the watt meter from my other bike, to see what its pulling. Throttle 18 - 18.5 amps . Max PAS even while hill climbing, only a measly 7.5 - 8.5 amps.So blimey yes must have the ‘keep current‘ set as low as possible. Doesnt help economy tho, as i have to recourse to the throttle so much more.
I cant imagine bafang would sell a 18amp controller, that only gives half that via PAS. It would be false advertising for a start ,as some dont fit the throttle.This must def be Eclipse bikes doing. On the plus side ive got the newer 3077 fet controller...yay.

Last edited: