Bosch battery endurance test

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
With my York trip in mind I decided to see how many miles I could wring out of one of my batteries.

The test bed was my Rose bike and its original 11ah battery.

I carried a spare battery, my large flask, water and the usual tools and spares, making my GVW probably close to 30kg.

The route was my usual long one of the C2C path from Sunderland up to Consett, down the Lanchester valley to Durham City and back to Sunderland - about 57 miles.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Sunderland,+Tyne+and+Wear/Consett,+County+Durham,+UK/Lanchester,+County+Durham,+UK/Durham+University,+Stockton+Rd,+Durham,+County+Durham+DH1,+United+Kingdom/Sunderland,+Tyne+and+Wear,+UK/@54.8420648,-1.7458787,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x487e612d8af0739f:0x749d6e7d017f03c3!2m2!1d-1.383801!2d54.906869!1m5!1m1!1s0x487dc96755fffb07:0xd6fc354d831d7bbe!2m2!1d-1.833026!2d54.851797!1m5!1m1!1s0x487dd4606e2da7df:0x52689012ad029106!2m2!1d-1.740305!2d54.82232!1m5!1m1!1s0x487e8766f63fce73:0x64e7c2aa7cbc8af!2m2!1d-1.578203!2d54.764986!1m5!1m1!1s0x487e612d8af0739f:0x749d6e7d017f03c3!2m2!1d-1.383801!2d54.906869!3e1?hl=en

I decided to do the test on tour setting from start until battery exhaustion.

And the scores on the doors?

Just over 46 miles.

The battery all but conked out a few miles outside Durham City.

It was harder work than I would have liked, it's a long, steady pull up to Consett and there's always a headwind, although it was more of a head breeze today.

Hard to interpret the result, but on the same route I've flattened the same battery at about 35 miles with liberal use of sport, so tour has given me an extra 11 miles.

One thing the exercise does show is the battery has yet to decline significantly in the 16 months I've had it.

Have to say it was a real treat when I put on the fresh, perky battery - I celebrated with a few miles on sport setting.

I'm not going to change my answer to the always-asked question.

'About 40 miles' is a fair reply.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Did you have your dongle fitted ? :D

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Went for a ride this week and stayed in turbo all the way, did about 34 miles with a couple more showing on the range display. We have 2 bikes and they are both the same. We got 55 last summer before they both gave up within 50 mts of each other. That was using tour a lot, but not all the time. It is very hilly here.

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
Like you I've also been pleasantly surprised at the mileage you can get leaving it in turbo mode. It really is fun riding it this way.
The bike must be about a year old and I haven't noticed any deterioration in battery performance.

An Observation.
I know fitting a dongle is popular with some but personally I can't see the point in this unless a new chain wheel is fitted.
The bike in its original state seems to be designed that a comfortable cadence rate equals 16 - 20 mph in the highest gear.
Fitting a dongle may give the potential for increased mph but yer legs must be fair flying round.
Phil

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Last summer I was more interested in range than speed, but this year I've been pushing the speed up and find that 20mph is quite comfortable. Of course, that is downhill and I soon drop back to 15. I'd like to try a dongle when the warranty runs out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've done another endurance test on the same battery.

This time I used the AVE on a very hilly route between Lake Windermere and Coniston in the Lake District.

Flattened the battery at just on 25 miles.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I did another experiment today - tried to see how far I could get on eco, which is the lowest of the Bosch settings.

On a moderately hilly ride of 35 miles, the second battery bar went out at just over 30 miles.

Three to go, the indicator is fairly linear, although you don't get quite so much from the last bar.

Being fair, this suggests a range of 60+ miles.

Lots of variables, of course, but even with my improved fitness I am no Contador, so it is still very definitely assisted cycling.

All of which confirms what I have thought for a long time, most modern motors will do a good job, it is the battery capacity which is critical.

So for anyone thinking of buying an ebike, the important question is:

"Will the battery be big enough for my use?", because it might not be.

The less important question is: "Will the motor have enough grunt?", because it probably will have.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I did another experiment today - tried to see how far I could get on eco, which is the lowest of the Bosch settings.

On a moderately hilly ride of 35 miles, the second battery bar went out at just over 30 miles.

Three to go, the indicator is fairly linear, although you don't get quite so much from the last bar.

Being fair, this suggests a range of 60+ miles.

Lots of variables, of course, but even with my improved fitness I am no Contador, so it is still very definitely assisted cycling.

All of which confirms what I have thought for a long time, most modern motors will do a good job, it is the battery capacity which is critical.

So for anyone thinking of buying an ebike, the important question is:

"Will the battery be big enough for my use?", because it might not be.

The less important question is: "Will the motor have enough grunt?", because it probably will have.
When I bought mine my cycling horizon was fairly close, probably about 30 to 35 miles so the battery capacity was sufficient for my needs, but now I am able to go much further the battery isn't really big enough!...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009

What would be interesting is if you could do the same ride on a light racing or touring bike, you could be very surprised by the results.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I used to think that, however bar the hilly routes I'm faster on a racing bike than on the Bosch in Eco.
As Stu says it's not a matter of intensive care or King of the Mountain, it's more a matter of how you can cycle on whatever machine you are riding.

I would like to think I could make a reasonable fist of it on a decent unassisted bike.

It's something I've been thinking about trying for a while.

I could borrow the Brompton demo from my local bike shop, but I would rather try a big wheel bike.

There might be something suitable secondhand in the shop one day.

I know the owner would let me take it for a few hours.

One part of me is reluctant to try unassisted in case I conk out after a mile and am left thinking nothing has been achieved in the last two years.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As Stu says it's not a matter of intensive care or King of the Mountain, it's more a matter of how you can cycle on whatever machine you are riding.

I would like to think I could make a reasonable fist of it on a decent unassisted bike.

It's something I've been thinking about trying for a while.

I could borrow the Brompton demo from my local bike shop, but I would rather try a big wheel bike.

There might be something suitable secondhand in the shop one day.

I know the owner would let me take it for a few hours.

One part of me is reluctant to try unassisted in case I conk out after a mile and am left thinking nothing has been achieved in the last two years.
I ride both.. Scott e-aspect 910 (bosch 29er) and a boardman Road comp, I am 65 years old and struggle to do any miles on the boardman. Recently I experimented with the gearing by changing the 50/34 chain rings for a 40/28 and the difference is astounding! I can now ride it up hills and range 30 to 40 miles with reasonable ease. In comparison with the e-bike it needs more effort overall as my average hr is generally about 10 beats higher. I tend to ride maintaining as high a speed as possible which I know isn't the best way to go, but it's my way so what the heck.

Reactions: jackhandy

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yes you need to try a big wheeled bike with preferably 25 mm tyres, or 28 at a pinch. I can cruise along at 20-25 mph at times. It's the hills where I loose huge amounts of time, I could do with shedding 10 kg's really. and as Phill says lower gears help massively, my racer is currently over-geared for my current fitness level and my cadence drops to 50 or so, I need to be spinning at 90 really.

I rode my Bosch yesterday for the first time in over two weeks, it makes for a nice car replacement vehicle, and one for the easy days.