Changes to Regulations - Speed pedelecs / dongles / throttles

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
They seem to be seeking consultation. Is this a formality I wonder? I thought they were going to finally ratify the changes this year not consult on them.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Also is understood that independent throttles would be outlawed but grandfather rights granted

This seems to state they will be allowed as long as all other EPAC requirements are met ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, this is sensible, it is in essence everything we realistically asked for during consultations:

250 watts.

Permission for independent throttles.

No weight limits that impair trike possibilities.

Power for quad bicycles.

I think we should all contact in support of the proposals. It's as much as we could ever get and leaves us better off than the rest of Europe other than one respect, the 14 years lower age limit, something no other country feels necessary. That's contained in a Road Traffic Act which is not being altered.

Here are the contact details in brief, deadline 8th December 11.45pm:

e-mail:

eapc.consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Postal:

EAPC Consultation
Department for Transport
1/34 Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR

When responding, please state whether you are responding as an individual or representing the views of an organisation. If responding on behalf of a larger organisation, please make it clear who the organisation represents and, where applicable, how the views of members were assembled.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they'll adopt EN15194 to hamonize with Europe, make it dead easy to register s-pedelecs as L1e as long as they are given EC type approval certificates.
BTW, there is no reason to outlaw the throttle.

C

Cyclezee

Yes, this is sensible, it is in essence everything we realistically asked for during consultations:

250 watts.

Power for quad bicycles.

I think we should all contact in support of the proposals. It's as much as we could ever get and leaves us better off than the rest of Europe other than one respect, the 14 years lower age limit, something no other country feels necessary. That's contained in a Road Traffic Act which is not being altered.

Here are the contact details in brief, deadline 8th December 11.45pm:

e-mail:

eapc.consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Postal:

EAPC Consultation
Department for Transport
1/34 Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR

When responding, please state whether you are responding as an individual or representing the views of an organisation. If responding on behalf of a larger organisation, please make it clear who the organisation represents and, where applicable, how the views of members were assembled.
Hi Tony,
I think if a knowledgeable person like your good self were to create a suitably worded draft that members could copy not to say plagiarise, then a lot of people would make a submission in support of the proposals.

Does anyone second this motion?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hi Tony,
I think if a knowledgeable person like your good self were to create a suitably worded draft that members could copy not to say plagiarise, then a lot of people would make a submission in support of the proposals.

Does anyone second this motion?
I know from writing to ministers on other issues in the past that template letters are given less weight and seen as organised lobbying.

Letters and emails written in your own words are much more likely to be considered. Just a few lines in support is all that's needed.

Apr 19, 2011

250 watts.

Power for quad bicycles.

I think we should all contact in support of the proposals.
I think its good news for all, including the met police - they would certainly appreciate the benefits speed pedelecs offer.

Compliance with The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 should be a must not a might.

As I understand it the EU speed limit is 25kmh, but that manufacturers are allowed a 10% margin, taking max speed to 27.5kmh (17.3mph). Will the proposed UK increase to 15.5mph also accept the 10% margin i wonder? If so why not state it clearly in the regulations?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think its good news for all, including the met police - they would certainly appreciate the benefits speed pedelecs offer.

Compliance with The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 should be a must not a might.

As I understand it the EU speed limit is 25kmh, but that manufacturers are allowed a 10% margin, taking max speed to 27.5kmh (17.3mph). Will the proposed UK increase to 15.5mph also accept the 10% margin i wonder? If so why not state it clearly in the regulations?
I would imagine so. I certainly hope so. My bike cuts out at 17.3 mph and so do many other German bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At one of the DfT and interested parties meetings, the DfT stated that the usual 10% tolerance for all UK speed limits equally applied to e-bikes.

Clearly from their comment it's standard practice, no doubt recognised by the police and other authorities.

C

Cyclezee

I know from writing to ministers on other issues in the past that template letters are given less weight and seen as organised lobbying.

Letters and emails written in your own words are much more likely to be considered. Just a few lines in support is all that's needed.
Hi John,

I take your point entirely.

My thinking was that a suitable draft would encourage more people to make a submission and of course the individual would edit and modify so that they did not all look the same.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
All well and good and welcome that the throttle is staying but I wonder if the trade has done any research into how many more bikes they could sell if the speed limit was raised to 20mph in line with the USA and have any of them lobbied for it?

I would like to have seen a statement on S class bikes and a clarification on how they could become Road Legal.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
When you say like in the USA, did you mean

New York City has repeatedly drawn media attention for its enforcement of a ban on electric bicycles in certain neighborhoods,[92] with fines of up to $3,000.[93]
Or How about Montana, 30 miles an hour, but no crank drives.

The device must be equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.
Then there's
District of Columbia
Electric-assist and other "motorized bicycles"[64] must be registered and inspected, and must have insurance. The vehicle may not exceed 35 miles per hour. The driver must be licensed and at be least 18 years old.
no person shall operate a motorized bicycle on any sidewalk or any off-street bikepath or bicycle route within the District.
So, if cars are prohibited in a particular place, motor-assisted bikes are also prohibited
US federal law is one thing but each state has its own laws.
Pick the state you like the best and move there (only joking)

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they'll adopt EN15194 to hamonize with Europe, make it dead easy to register s-pedelecs as L1e as long as they are given EC type approval certificates.
Could be a hollow victory though, since we don't know conditions they'd set for such things as insurance etc., the setting of conditions being a matter for each country. With the DfT strongly opposed to more speed or power, the possibility of them requiring such things as CBT and motorcycle approved helmets could kill any practicality.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I looked up insurance and registration for L1e e-mopeds the other day when posting earlier about the folding e-moped. Apparently, they can register it for you, £70 including number plate, so road ready. I assume their bike has EC type approval as L1e.
Zippe mention £170 per annum for fully comp.
http://www.zippe.co.uk/

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

from REGULATION (EU) No 168/2013 it appears the police will be exempt from the new regulations and can use whatever vehicles they like:

Article 2

Scope

2. This Regulation does not apply to the following vehicles:

(e)vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services, forces responsible for maintaining public order and emergency medical services;

copy of REGULATION (EU) No 168/2013 available from the resources tab at the top of this page

Last edited:

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
I be happy to pay compulsory insurance and helmet if speed in increased to 20, I find 15mph is fine on residential roads but on main rds 20mph is better. S class going up to 30mph I assume you would have to have similar regulations that apply to a scooter.