Changing from hub to crank

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Hi All,

Not been on here for a while as my Giant Hybrid Lite (hub) has served me well so far. A forthcoming big birthday (no, you can't ask) prompts a change and an increase in budget. Am considering a Cube Touring hybrid with a Bosch crank motor. It's at the cheaper end of the range at £1700 so just within budget and offered in a 46cm frame for my short legs.

Having just begun my homework for this change, I've not ridden a crank motor bike, so what should I expect?
I'd be grateful for any comments from anyone who has experience of the Cube bikes, especially the non MTB models. At the moment I don't have a preferred dealer, although living in NW England thought All Terrain at Saltaire might be good. Any replies gratefully appreciated.

Rosie

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
people tend to change from crank to hub as they get older because hub bikes offer more relaxing ride.
You are lucky, get younger Rosie.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bosch system is very smooth and refined.

It has a torque sensor which means the motor responds to the effort you put in, giving a natural cycling feel which a lot of riders like.

I don't know what levels you use on your Giant or how often you change them, but on my Bosch bikes I tend to set it to Tour (level two of four) then forget it.

Hills are dealt with by changing down and pedalling a bit harder, again like an ordinary bike.

The retailer should be able to give you a decent test ride on a Bosch bike, all that matters is if you like it or not.

You know what hub ebikes are like from riding the Giant, so you should be able to make an informed decision.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My vote is for a Giant with a Yamaha motor.

• Useful

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is in the window at my LBS, I'll get a loto ticket tomorrow...

If I had a normal job I wouldn't hesitate a second and pay for it over 36 months = 75 € a month. The double chainring is the clincher, around here very handy.

• :D

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks to all for replying. The Giant Prime with the Yamaha motor is my alternative choice so far. Also, I know I'll have to ride a crank motor cycle to see if it suits me. Does anyone have an opinion on the Giant v the Cube.

The other factor I need to consider is weight as we're motorhomers and it'll go on a rear mounted rack. The Cube is quoted at 23.8 with battery so an acceptable 21.8 without the battery. Can't find anything on weight of Giant, does anyone know this?

OH rides normal cycle so won't be carrying 2 electric bikes.

Thanks again

Rosie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Giant will weigh about the same, any difference will be so small as to be irrelevant from the point of view of rear rack rating.

Make sure you have a go on the Giant, the Yamaha crank drive is not as refined as the Bosch although Giant may have tinkered with the software for their installation.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
But the LBS has never had any problem with the Yamaha motored Giants. He has had to send Bosch powered Giant and Matra bikes back for motor replacement...

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to test ride a Giant Prime 3 this weekend and will let you know how I get on.

Rosie

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Well, went to see the Giant today and it was a very nice bike, that weighed 20.8 k, fine for motorhome. But, the problem arose when the guy lowered the saddle to the lowest it would go, and I knew it was too high for me. It was a 45cm frame bike, same as my Twist lite, but the saddle didn't lower to the frame but to a lip in a sort of inner tube. (Sorry, not too technical) I ride my current bike with the saddle at 48cm from the crank, however the lowest point the Prime would reach was 51cm.

I came away, gutted, but now wonder is there anything that can be done to lower the saddle further? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Rosie

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Well, went to see the Giant today and it was a very nice bike, that weighed 20.8 k, fine for motorhome. But, the problem arose when the guy lowered the saddle to the lowest it would go, and I knew it was too high for me. It was a 45cm frame bike, same as my Twist lite, but the saddle didn't lower to the frame but to a lip in a sort of inner tube. (Sorry, not too technical) I ride my current bike with the saddle at 48cm from the crank, however the lowest point the Prime would reach was 51cm.

I came away, gutted, but now wonder is there anything that can be done to lower the saddle further? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Rosie
The seat post can be shortened easily enough. We have a Giant bike with the same issue, in our case it is the bottle bosses restricting it. Sometimes it can be the top of the seatpost that is slightly bigger in diameter.
The shop should be able to easily resolve the issue and get the saddle lower.

If it has a seatpost shim, just cutting a bit off the seatpost will do the trick.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks. My husband has just called shop wondering could the post be shortened, but they said 'no. It is at Winstanleys in Wigan. Wonder is it worth another try tomorrow when more knowledgeable staff might be in?

Risie

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks. My husband has just called shop wondering could the post be shortened, but they said 'no. It is at Winstanleys in Wigan. Wonder is it worth another try tomorrow when more knowledgeable staff might be in?

Risie
Just checked the bike, it has a suspension seatpost. So you'd just have to get them to change the seatpost, or buy one from somewhere else. If this is the one?
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/78783/Giant_Prime_E3_W_2016_Womens_Electric_Bike

Plenty of options in the 30.9 mm size https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=30.9+seatpost&tbm=shop

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for this, yes that is the bike. Will ask if post can be changed. Otherwise they've been very helpful, so hopefully.... Must admit to knowing little about suspension seat posts but if a simple change will solve my problem then thanks for the advice.

Rosie

Reactions: Artstu

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks for this, yes that is the bike. Will ask if post can be changed. Otherwise they've been very helpful, so hopefully.... Must admit to knowing little about suspension seat posts but if a simple change will solve my problem then thanks for the advice.

Rosie
You may be able to use likes of Suntour NCX or thudbuster for seat suspension

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A rigid seatpost will allow you to get the saddle a lot lower, and it could still be comfortable Rosie. A high proportion of cyclists don't use a suspension post or rear suspension, I'm one of them.

If you did find some discomfort you could change the rear tyre for one of the comfort types which do a very good job of substituting for suspension.

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyres

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for all help. Will contact shop tomorrow and ask if this adjustment can be done. I don't have suspension seat post at the moment as far as I can see, and doubt I'll miss it. Will let you know outcome.