Cyclists Nutrition

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

When I was at the Cycle Show a couple of weeks ago, just about every other stand was showing some sort of nutrition, some based on natural healthy foods and some scientifically based. It was handy because you zip round taking a sample of each to re-nutrify yourself, but I must say that they didn't do much to re-energise myself. Some of them were relatively expensive, and I had some discussion with some of my friends/colleagues about whether cyclists were being taken or whether they truly thouht that they could buy their way to better performance. I now know the answer.

In 1967 Emily Burton took a new world record when she completed 277.25 miles in twelve hours. During this event, she overtook the guy who set the men's record of 276.53 miles on the same day. While she was overtaking him, she handed him a liquorice allsort, which he took and ate.

Now that I know her secret, I'm off to the corner shop first thing tomorrow, then I'm going to see if I can beat my 12 hour record. Do you think I'll still need to charge the battery or should I leave it off to save weight?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think all sports types and youngsters are being ripped off by this industry with their silly claims for ordinary ingredients.

They'd do a lot better with a healthy, widely varied diet of food based on fresh ingredients, leaving out these sports offerings and other junk food.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's well know that injuries are caused by people trying to stop themselves where as the drunken man gets off lightly.

So leave off the high nutrition food and get some whisky down you.

Reactions: KirstinS

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Fruit pastilles every time.
I've tried a few energy bar type things but the pastilles win out every time.
A nice quick suggar fix when you start to flag a bit or just because they taste sooooo good.

On a less serious note.
Whilst trying to reduce my leg cramps after a series if longer rides (40mile +) I did try a supplement reportedly developed for use by the British Olympic saling team ?
My cramps were reduced, unfortunately there was a price to pay !
Wind and I don't mean the " it's a windy day, lest go fly a kite" kind of wind.
Several times I tried them and several times I had to leave the sauna discreetly.
I think I now know why they were reduced in price:oops:

D

Deleted member 4366

Well, I put the liquorice allsorts to the test today. I set of from Essex this morning for my marathon journey. I had opened the packet beforehand and ate a few to get me going. Feeling suitably invigorated, I set off. I calculated that the packet would take me a long way if I ate one every 5 miles, so I kept to that schedule, counting the miles down each time to the next delight and hoping it would be one of the round jelly ones with all the little bobbles on (my favourite). 175 miles later, I had arrived home, and I had smashed my record of the most miles in 12 hours, which previously stood at about 70 miles with this bike.

I can therefore vouch for liquorice allsorts as being able to give you suitable nutrition for a journey like that. I didn't have any other food - no breakfast and no lunch, and what's more, as I lifted the bike off the toeball rack when I arrived home, my legs weren't the slightest bit tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Fruit pastilles every time.
I've tried a few energy bar type things but the pastilles win out every time.
A nice quick suggar fix when you start to flag a bit or just because they taste sooooo good.

On a less serious note.
Whilst trying to reduce my leg cramps after a series if longer rides (40mile +) I did try a supplement reportedly developed for use by the British Olympic saling team ?
My cramps were reduced, unfortunately there was a price to pay !
Wind and I don't mean the " it's a windy day, lest go fly a kite" kind of wind.
Several times I tried them and several times I had to leave the sauna discreetly.
I think I now know why they were reduced in price:oops:
To reduce cramps you need to replace your electrolytes, i.e potassium and sodium which you loose through dehydration. Potassium is in bananas and sodium is salt but salt being bad I sometimes put 1g of losalt into 1l of juice, losalt is lower in sodium but high in potassium. Or I use these nice High5 Zero tablets too.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/high5-zero-electrolyte-drink-tablets/rp-prod42650

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
A double Phyllosan used to work wonders.
Problem is, it only claimed to fortify the over forties, never said anything about the over fifties, sixties, seventies etc.

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I tried samples of energy drinks which were on offer at the bike show at the NEC.

Must have over done it - I felt a bit squiffy for half an hour.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Jelly babies are my back up.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
When I was 11 I had a very large packet of Liquorice Allsorts which my mother told me to share with friends at school. Being a typical 11 year old I just ate them all. That evening I had stomach ache and was told that was what I deserved - was this proof that Liquorice Allsorts cause stomach ache?
Three days later I had stomach ache and the doctor eventually diagnosed Appendicitis and I was quickly admitted to hospital for surgery. Was this proof that Liquorice Allsorts cause appendicitis?
My point - that we need to be careful not to jump to conclusions about the effectiveness of our favourite supplements - it maybe other factors entirely are at play.

More seriously most of these supplements contain a high level of caffeine and sugar. Exactly the same can be obtained at a fraction of the cost in other wrappings. I have seen an analysis of some of the more exotic things included - all of these have virtually no effect on performance and in any case are at such low levels that they certainly don't help.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i did a charity London to Paris last july and will be doing again this july. Lots of fruit and energy bars at the water breaks and pasta for lunch certainly helped a lot. Electrolyte replacement via powder or tablets in water is a must. One girl just drank water and just had no energy and was feeling sick. Electrolyte drinks solved the problem. This was a non electric event though but I do find on 50 mile plus electric rides i do feel a lot better at the end with electrolytes and energy bars.

D

Deleted member 4366

i did a charity London to Paris last july and will be doing again this july. Lots of fruit and energy bars at the water breaks and pasta for lunch certainly helped a lot. Electrolyte replacement via powder or tablets in water is a must. One girl just drank water and just had no energy and was feeling sick. Electrolyte drinks solved the problem. This was a non electric event though but I do find on 50 mile plus electric rides i do feel a lot better at the end with electrolytes and energy bars.
What's all this electrolyte replacement? We never did that when I was a kid, neither did Beryl Burton, who held the world distance record for 20 years. It's like all the kids at school walking round with their drinks bottles worried about getting dehidrated, but still they can't learn anything. I can't ever remember drinking at school other than the 1/3 pint of milk at break in primary school. They used to put water out at lunchtime (and Duralex glasses), but we only used it to wash away the taste of the horible food. I don't think the word "dehydration" existed then.

Last edited by a moderator:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I once did 55 mile pedelec ride using just water in sunny uk, felt very ill, on London to Paris it hit 40C according to my garmin, 102 miles on road bike using sis tablets in water and was fine....

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As an old roadman once said to me: "You can cycle a long way on a banana and a Mars bar."

Reactions: 4bound
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. That's her. I edited the last post but I can't edit the first one because it's too late.

D

Deleted member 4366

I once did 55 mile pedelec ride using just water in sunny uk, felt very ill, on London to Paris it hit 40C according to my garmin, 102 miles on road bike and was fine....
Yes, but you might have felt ill because of something you ate, or a virus or anything else. I've done 84 miles in a day with nothing to eat during the journey, and just a cup of tea to drink half way. My knees were hurting a bit when I got home, but I don't think there's much you can take for that.

Advertisers