Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Restricted

Votes: 50 53.8%

• Total voters

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Just running a curiosity poll on if your bike is derestricted or pedelec legal with 250w nominal and 15.5mph cut off

No need to reply you can stay anonymous just click appropriate poll

Thanks

Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I think I have both ! In that I’ve a 250w factory stamped motor and a 15 mph cutoff

But it is pretty easy to change that in the LCD settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it’s illegal then as it can be changed
As far as I can work out
As it amounts to an off road switch which is still technically illegal

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Then we are nearly all stuffed if that's correct !

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As far as I can work out
Strictly speaking yes, but there's such a high proportion like that your poll could get distorted.

I doubt the authorities will ever act against LCD alterable e-bikes, despite them being technically illegal as being under rider control, since they represent so much of the quality manufactured market.

In the same way they never acted against 250 watts when the law limited to 200 watts, simply because most e-bikes were 250 watts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Changing the LCD setting will make the bike illegal but an having an unlocked LCD does not make the bike illegal.
locking the LCD with password will be made compulsory as part of EN15194 but I believe not yet here.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Changing the LCD setting will make the bike illegal but an having an unlocked LCD does not make the bike illegal.
locking the LCD with password will be made compulsory but I believe not yet here.
Mine needs a password , thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
This is why the eu wants tamper proof and locked software and a way of detection of a dongle

Shop purchased bikes have a certificate of type approval modification can invalidate this but kits do have a ce mark

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
having an unlocked LCD does not make the bike illegal.
The published opinion of the DfT is that an e-bike is illegal if the rider has a switch available to increase the assist speed beyond the legal limit.

I think if that were tested by the courts the DfT opinion could well be upheld since that is clearly the spirit of the law. However, just as with the 200/250 watts issue, I doubt it ever will be tested since it could produce such large scale difficulties.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The published opinion of the DfT is that an e-bike is illegal if the rider has a switch available to increase the assist speed beyond the legal limit.

I think if that were tested by the courts the DfT opinion could well be upheld since that is clearly the spirit of the law. However, just as with the 200/250 watts issue, I doubt it ever will be tested since it could produce such large scale difficulties.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If you were able to change a 25 kmh / 15.5 mph cutoff to a 29 kmh / 18 mph cutoff, thus greatly doing away with the treacle effect, with no great impact on battery life or obvious forward speed, would you?

Reactions: Nev

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
To be honest, I don't really know. Most of the time I use my Ezee kit in assist 2/5. This has me going around the Welsh hills and occaisional flat bits at 8-14mph. I know that the motor gives a no load speed (on the stand) of 19mph in 5/5. But I never use that on the road 'cos it will eat the battery.
The kit was bought in 2014 and I've not found any markings on the motor.
So, is it legal? Who knows?
Lets put it this way, it's certainly not illegal by my hand.
Oh and it does have a full acting throttle, but fitted in 2014 - so there's another bone of contention.:p

• Agree

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
If you were able to change a 25 kmh / 15.5 mph cutoff to a 29 kmh / 18 mph cutoff, thus greatly doing away with the treacle effect, with no great impact on battery life or obvious forward speed, would you ?
100% would
allthou this is never going to legally happen
And I can assure you this poll wasn’t started as a witch hunt sort of thing just in case anyone thinks that ,
I was genuinely curious about the percentages after a thread with SW earlier:)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go find a ebike where it is impossible to remove the speed limit :D

i said 90% because most have kits or pre built bikes with kits on them but at the end of the day you can change the settings even if you keep it at 250w 15.5mph it still has a off road switch/mode even if they dont realise this or never use it.

and the other 10% with bosch motors ect have to pay for a fkn dongle and cant change the power settings.:mad:

so ur fooked either way unless you register it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With my kt lcd's if I set the speed limit to 25km/h, cut off is exactly 17mph and not 15.5mph, so as Flecc has said previously that is legal with 10% error margin.
Mostly though I like it a bit higher.

With KT lcd speed limit can't be adjusted on the move so it is not a switch.

• Informative