E-Roadies looking a lot less unconventional

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just got a sales mail from LBS and I must say I like the look of this...
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/road.e.2/24987/90636/

Interesting in the specs is the weight section which reads..

"The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality".

Still like it tho..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting in the specs is the weight section which reads..

"The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality".

Still like it tho..
This is GIant's standard statement on weights. They introduced it after criticisms of their models being heavy. Their bikes are generally very good quality builds and that can make them a slightly heavier in some cases, so they are sensitive about printing the weights in consequence.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Hmm, I had a Giant Rapid 3, great bike, fast and light, similar spec Aluxx frame. It cost £600. With the speed cutoff at 15.5mph I can't see that the e-bike equivalent has much point to it? I could get up all but the steepest of hills on the Rapid and my cruise speed was only a bit less than 15mph.

If spending 2k on a pure road bike I'd much rather have my Sparta, but of course the optimum number of bikes to own is n+1, so a Rapid 3 e-bike? Interesting, if I had the money, but then I'd probably go for an off roader too.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It was due as a 2016 model, but I get the feeling it didn't make it to market, so we might have to wait until next year for 30% off offers.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Been out on my carbon road bike with its ultra light wheels tonight. 13 miles at 14.5 mph with no hills en route and I really enjoy it but if I factor in a few of the Yorkshire hills it looses some of the apeal..
I think I might ask for a test ride and then see about selling one or two of my bikes...

Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
9.9kg beat that.

the more expensive giant is 18.8kg thats only 2.2kg lighter than my full sus haibike lol

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
TBH I don't see the point a conversion. It would look decidedly odd to say the least. If the new giant is a bike worth owning then this will have to go, along with the Scott emtb. In the past I have got decent money for my used bikes on ebay..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just a shame you cant use those wheels on the giant and get a bit of waight off it.

both should get near enough to pay for it tho the top end haibike is only .7kg lighter and 5k

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
just a shame you cant use those wheels on the giant and get a bit of waight off it.

both should get near enough to pay for it tho the top end haibike is only .7kg lighter and 5k
I doubt they would they carry the weight? I wonder what the manufacturer would say if you asked..lol..
And then there's the discs...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
should have a waight limit on there page but i think all race bike wheels will be at there limit on bikes this heavy.

thats the 1 thing id be worried about on these bikes also with disc brakes put more on the hubs when braking.

could be a problem if a dongle is used and riding and braking from high speed.

Reactions: Jammyb

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Quick-e has mudguards and pannier racks, much more useful...

Back in the day I had just a bag on the bars with a tyre repair kit and not much else and the bike weighed about 10 kg iirc. Now I need rain gear a shopping bag, obligatory reflective vest, helmet if I cross the border more tools...