Folding bikes pros and cons

Nutmeg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2015
Hello,

I am researching before buying my first electric bike and I am trying to decided on the pros and cons of a folding bike.

I am not a very confident rider, (for that read I have been known to sometimes wobble) and I have read that folding bikes and therefore smaller wheels are less stable.

Use wise, I am looking at general leisure use with the rest of my family (on pedal only bikes) and trips to the shops, 12-14 miles round trips. The commute to work would be 24 mile round trip and I can't see my fitness levels reaching that, even with a pedelec! :)

I would want panniers and a front basket.

The plus side of a folding bike is that I could fit it in the car for holidays, although we will probably need a bike rack anyway to transport the three other bikes used by the family. We sometimes hire bikes on holiday and I envisage taking my folding bike and keeping up with everyone else!

I like the look of the Juicy Bike Compact Click and the Woosh Gale.

I will post separately my short list of step through bikes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you have a bike rack, the Woosh Petite is much more comfortable for long rides than 20" e-folders. On top of comfort, it's very stable and re-assuring with its 24" wheels and low saddle height.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Nutmeg

Jan 23, 2015
Thank you for replying!

I'll take a look at the Petite. I'm 5'5, and 10st so I don't consider myself petite! :)

I'm planning a trip to Woosh bikes in Southend soon, to have a try out of some of their models.

The last bike that I rode regularly was a Raleigh Twenty, in bronze. Loved that bike!

No idea what possessed me to buy a mountain bike ( other than that it was very cheap and I bought if from a friend). I find it so difficult to get over the cross bar.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you go see woosh in Southend, try out other step throughs while you are there: the Santana (26" 10AH battery), the Santana CD (crank drive, 26" wheels 15AH battery) and the Big Bear LS. They are all more comfortable and pokier on long rides than 20" e-folders.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hello and welcome, I would strongly recommend that you try a few different e-bikes.
The folder is ok for transporting in your car or motor home, but not every ones cup of tea, my wife cannot get on with the foldaway found it too unstable.
If you do get a small wheel bike I would also suggest a Gel seat and suspension seat post.
Also most folders are not that light if you have to lift or carry it.
Best of luck with your search.
Bob.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Nutmeg,our recent Kudos Sonata is one of the best bikes we have designed. Most customers who test ride it find it a really nice bike to ride. Your height is ideal for this bike.
Test ride at our warehouse in Whitstable or the London Electric Bike Company in Hampton Wick,West London.
You can compare with the Kudos Secret folder and the Kudos Tempo,I think you will find the latter a bit small for you.
Thanks
KudosDave

Reactions: Nutmeg

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I definitely need to get out and try some test rides! :)
Pleased we are on your shortlist NM.

You may have already spotted our discount offer using the code Pedelecs at our website.

You should certainly try bikes before you buy and preferably buy somewhere local to you.

Nutmeg

Jan 23, 2015
Thank you Juicy Bikes! Any discount available is very welcome as I'm on a relatively tight budget, £900 tops really, and I also need to budget for extras such as a basket and/or panniers (planning to cycle to the local shops instead of using my car) a helmet and a decent lock, which I estimate will be about another £100.

Nutmeg

Jan 23, 2015
I think that I'm moving a way from a folding bike. With 3 bikes in the family, I think that a cycle carrier is the way to go, for trips and holidays. I also want to be able to pop out for quick trips and a folder would not have a fitted basket.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I have an Electrobike Mk3 and its a lovely bike to ride, I don't use it as a fold up as we have a cycle carrier on the car, I'm 5'3 and heavy with a capitol H, I like the fact that the company is based near us at Coventry and they have a website. I've never run the battery out and we've done rides over 20miles, it has a throttle, pedal assist and normal ride with 6 gears. Theres no drag when using it as a pedal bike, its nice and low to step through and I've never found having small wheels a problem, I'm female of 58, it comes with a rear carrier and I bought a basket for the front and one for the back to fit on the carrier, the battery always comes inside when not in use and holds the charge well. I think they are around £700 new but I found mine 2nd hand for £300 anyway I'd easily say its a good sturdy bike supposed to be capable of carrying 20stone and well worth a look, http://www.folding-bikes.net/asbikes/shop/electrobike-mk3/