Frame size

Nutmeg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2015
When buying a non-electic bike there seems to be great importance put on frame size. As I'm not tall at 5'5 is frame size as important with an electric bike? It isn't always stated on the specifications.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rather then frame size being ralated to height, what really matters is your inside leg measurement. I think you said yours is 30" same as me so I always go for L OR 19+.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, it is.You'd want to have a comfortable riding position. If you go for a crossbar, the frame size should be 18" (47cm).

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'd say yes. You'll be cycling just the same whether assisted or not. You'd want to be as comfortable on either.
A bike which is too tall for you will put you off for life. A bike which is too small for you will be a right pain.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:oops: Forgot about the reach issue well said Trex.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The correct size bike is always extremely important, you absolutely have to be comfortable and confident on it.
There's really no substitute for trying before you buy, not just sitting on it in the shop but a good test ride.
I always think if you can adjust the seat so it's a couple of inches too low and you are also able to adjust it so it's an inch or two too high you have a good chance of finding a sweet spot somewhere in between.
You can then do a bit of fine tuning with handlebar angle, handlebar stem length and reach, saddle angle, also the saddle will usually slide backward and forward.
It's an inexact science and as Neal says, leg length is a big factor.

Dave.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2015
Well noted, I do have a 30 inch inside leg measurement and correspondingly long arms. I'm looking for a step through frame; I have a crossbar frame and find it difficult to get on and off, due to some post surgery stiffness in my legs.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There's often lots of handlebar adjustment on step through bikes.

Get the seat height correct, and the rest should fall into place.

Dutch style step throughs, which are very laid back, are usually ridden with the handlebars a few inches above the saddle, so don't worrry if the 'bars look high.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It depends on what kind of bike it is and how you want to ride it. Speaking only of bikes meant for tarmac. Competition and training bike frames have shrunk in recent decades, and the old advice no longer applies when tall riders squeeze onto small frames. But as long as they can get the seatpost out far enough, it suits them because they have a very responsive stiff bike which is slightly lighter than if they were useing the size of frames that riders used in the fifties and sixties, and they are used to riding like that. Road bikes like that are not built for comfort but for performance, and as a general rule a bigger frame will be more comfortable to ride on the road than a smaller one. This is even more true with a pedelec where you don't need to worry about saving the last tiny bit of weight.

Within limits you can make almost any frame fit you with handlebar and seatpost and saddle adjustment. We've all seen twelve year old boys riding adult bikes happily with the saddle right down. But for a road bike most riders use a smaller frame now, and for a touring/ commuter bike a bigger frame will ride better.