Genius Bar caught ripping customer off ON CAMERA by CBC News

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
intriguing.
A colleague of mine who is the clumsiest most cack-handed guy you could imagine got sick of paying out loadsamoney for broken iphone screens. I laughed when he told me he was buying a screen replacement kit for under 50 quid from ebay. I thought he would completely wreck his phone - but he didn't and now has done the same for several people in our company.
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant buy any part of a bosch motor you cant even buy a new one unless you send in the old one first.

anything other than the bearings you cant buy any other part like the controller board ect so no 3rd party repairs.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
This doesn’t surprise me in the least

I am slowly extricating myself and family from apple walled garden. Can’t happen quick enough .....I’ve owned nothing else for over a decade (6 person family of MacBooks , iPhones , Apple TV and iPads )

All the reasons that existed for me no longer apply . They just make me angry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
intriguing.
A colleague of mine who is the clumsiest most cack-handed guy you could imagine got sick of paying out loadsamoney for broken iphone screens. I laughed when he told me he was buying a screen replacement kit for under 50 quid from ebay. I thought he would completely wreck his phone - but he didn't and now has done the same for several people in our company.
Mike
I used to do this too. No point no and tons of solid local places can do it for the price of a screen that I can buy ! And the new models are a bugger compared to the old 4s to actually change etc

One girl at work was quoted 50 quid to replace a glass 4s REAR panel by apple brighton

It cost me 3 quid delivered and less than 1 minute to change at her desk. She was incredulous and never bought another iPhone

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
apple is good tho if you like buying well overpriced crap!:D

• :D
Reactions: flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What annoys me is that our so called politicians do not protect us from these malpractices.
We see the antifa goons making fools of themselves attacking alleged far right groups, why don't they go for the real villains?
Too many companies are allowed to lock people into expensive and unnecessary problems
How can Bosch actions be equated with restraint of trade?
Surely, their actions are against EU law?
Certainly, my hope for Brexit would include politicians willing to take on these predatory giants.
Some hope!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What annoys me is that our so called politicians do not protect us from these malpractices.
We see the antifa goons making fools of themselves attacking alleged far right groups, why don't they go for the real villains?
Too many companies are allowed to lock people into expensive and unnecessary problems
Certainly, my hope for Brexit would include politicians willing to take on these predatory giants.
Some hope!
You do not have to buy Bosch, it is a voluntary action on your part ,as it is theirs to supply you with goods for a certain sum of money. They are not refusing to sell to you, because you are green or black. There is no compulsion on them to sell anything except via registered dealers, just as you cannot buy your new Ferrari from Joe's chop shop.
Their argument, just as it is Ferrari is , or BurgerKing for that matter, that we sell only to registered dealers who have taken our training programs because we value our good nane

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No matter what laws are passed we can still be caught out. The best way is to protect ourselves with simple rules:

Don't be an early adopter, let others learn the lessons for you.

Watch the practices of well known companies and avoid as necessary. For example, I would never at any time buy anything from Bosch.

Preferentially choose developed new products, those based on former proven designs but with improvements made from experience.

etcetera.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[QUOTE="flecc, post: 463462, member: 3". For example, I would never at any time buy anything from Bosch.

etcetera.
.[/QUOTE]

Hiya, would you expand on that at all ? Is it ebike centric view or wider ?

Genuinely interested

Cheers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hiya, would you expand on that at all ? Is it ebike centric view or wider ?

Genuinely interested
Not at all e-bike centric. It's based on their overpricing of certain rather poor products, including buying in and rebranding some that have been very poor indeed. Ranging from an electric screwdriver to a fridge.

They aren't alone in this in Germany, cashing in on Germany's reputation for quality, itself somewhat mythical.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
flecc you cant buy anything from bosch as you need a magura account and reg business vat no ect.

and dont forget the impulse motor is made in germany :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc you cant buy anything from bosch as you need a magura account and reg business vat no ect.

and dont forget the impulse motor is made in germany :rolleyes:
I was speaking of product from Bosch, not Bosch as a supplier.

There is no Impulse motor, that's just a marketing name. They are Daum motors and I include them in my comments on overpriced poor products from Germany.

Hence this comment in my post about Bosch:

"They aren't alone in this in Germany, cashing in on Germany's reputation for quality, itself somewhat mythical."

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

WAR!!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
"They aren't alone in this in Germany, cashing in on Germany's reputation for quality, itself somewhat mythical."
It’s not just a German thing
It’s everything with in reason
overpriced and low quality
I would genuinely find it hard to name a big company that thinks about its customer even a small amount these days with a genuinely good quality product there all a half arsed attempt
Low build cost high retail

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The guy makes a very good case except when he is explaining where his Apple-branded batteries are coming from 'they could be being taken out of demo machines'. Then he goes on to describe the chinese factory assuring him that their batteries are top quality not cheap tat, but why does that factory then put the Apple logo on them? It's possible that these are genuine Apple specified batteries that are coming down the same assembly line as the ones destined to be put in new apple machines by apple, but it would be very surprising if their contract with Apple allowed them to make extra and sell them to independents.
Mike

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I was speaking of product from Bosch, not Bosch as a supplier.

There is no Impulse motor, that's just a marketing name. They are Daum motors and I include them in my comments on overpriced poor products from Germany.

Hence this comment in my post about Bosch:

I agree, Bosch make many products, many of which aren’t very good. In particular, I don’t rate their power tools.

Unless I’m mistaken, I think their ebike motor is a success and quite well regarded for functionality and reliability?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The guy makes a very good case except when he is explaining where his Apple-branded batteries are coming from 'they could be being taken out of demo machines'. Then he goes on to describe the chinese factory assuring him that their batteries are top quality not cheap tat, but why does that factory then put the Apple logo on them? It's possible that these are genuine Apple specified batteries that are coming down the same assembly line as the ones destined to be put in new apple machines by apple, but it would be very surprising if their contract with Apple allowed them to make extra and sell them to independents.
Mike
you can get plenty of apple oem parts in china you can even build ur own phone as one guy on you tube has done so it is not like there fake batts parts ect.

apple is even sewing one repair guy over fake screens but there not fake they are real apple displays but as he sent them to china to have the glass replaced and nothing else apple calls this a non apple product and fake and had the lot seized at customs.

lets just hope one state supports the right to repair bill as then the rest will follow and apple wont have any choice to offer spare parts for 3rd party repair.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unless I’m mistaken, I think their ebike motor is a success and quite well regarded for functionality and reliability?
Unfortunately the customers had to do some proving for them. The first trouble was the left hand crank falling off. Then that was followed with dirt getting into the unit through inadequate sealing. Noise developing followed through inadequate greasing in manufacture, plus some bearing failures. The latter was exacerbated by one bearing being non-standard so not replaceable by customers until now when member "The Bearing Man" has had some made. The latest model with the small chainwheel does need to have occasional grease packing by customers to ensure dirt and water tightness.

So not the greatest start for a couple of years, but they seem to be getting there gradually.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson

Advertisers