Ilkey Cycles closed down

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My local ebike shop has recently ceased trading .
In the two weeks before they closed they replaced the Bosch Powerline drive unit on my wife's KTM TOUR10 Plus. Luckily it was JUST within the warranty period.

I only have a receipt for the repair ( other works carried out and paid for but motor replaced FOC )
I don't have any paperwork from BOSCH/MAGURA...

Does anyone have contact details for MAGURA / Bosch warranty dept?

Sad Ilkley Cycles closed down...A good local bike shop - great knowledge of ebikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the warranty is on the motor with the sn on the sticker so any dealer could send it back for you and reg a warranty replacement via there magura account imo.

now they might charge for this or point blank say no unless you bought the bike from them but pcg in Germany will take over the motor warranty if you get stuck but you will have to pay the postage there and back.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Ilkley cycles were really good....I didn't buy either ebike from them but they were local to me and arranged for free warranty replacement drive units for both bikes.....

Reactions: soundwave

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Ilkley cycles were really good....I didn't buy either ebike from them but they were local to me and arranged for free warranty replacement drive units for both bikes.....
Sorry in advance, I am not commenting on yourself singularly.

There you have it in a nut shell - Didn't buy my bike (s) there but they helped anyway. Sorry to see them go out of business.

Ebike shops make nothing fixing a bike under warranty that was not bought there. Even if they did make a nominal charge, it pales in comparison to the profit on a £2,000 machine.

Your local bike shop is struggling, trust me on this one. Especially now that winter is on us. How many people are at this moment buying a discounted ebike online on a Black Friday deal? Are they thinking "If something goes wrong I can always pop down to those great guys at Ilkley Cycles."? Oh.........wait.........

• Agree
Reactions: RobF and flecc
I only have a receipt for the repair ( other works carried out and paid for but motor replaced FOC )
I don't have any paperwork from BOSCH/MAGURA...

Does anyone have contact details for MAGURA / Bosch warranty dept?
They won't deal with you, but to be fair you don't need any paperwork from them. The new motor doesn't come with a new warranty.

if you have any issues call us.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Hi KTM....just seen your post so ignore the message I sent you..

So the NEW drive unit has NO warranty ??

A NEW drive unit was fitted as the bearing had failed in the same manner as the one on my bike.

Is there an issue with 2015 motors as I nderstand from speaking with another Bosch dealer that they have upgraded the bearing seal(s) ..

Last edited:
Hi KTM....just seen your post songbird the message I sent you..

So the NEW drive unit has NO warranty ??

A NEW drive unit was fitted as the bearing had failed in the same manner as the one on my bike.

Is there an issue with 2015 motors as I nderstand from speaking with another Bosch dealer that they have upgraded the bearing seal(s) ..
it doesn't have NO warranty, it has the same warranty as the one you originally bought, which is ideally handled by the shop you bought the bikes from. Others can help as a good will gesture like Ilkley have done for you in the past.

Yes, if you've had a new motor they'll have the new better seals.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Sorry in advance, I am not commenting on yourself singularly.

There you have it in a nut shell - Didn't buy my bike (s) there but they helped anyway. Sorry to see them go out of business.

Ebike shops make nothing fixing a bike under warranty that was not bought there. Even if they did make a nominal charge, it pales in comparison to the profit on a £2,000 machine.

Your local bike shop is struggling, trust me on this one. Especially now that winter is on us. How many people are at this moment buying a discounted ebike online on a Black Friday deal? Are they thinking "If something goes wrong I can always pop down to those great guys at Ilkley Cycles."? Oh.........wait.........
Yeah I know where you are coming from...

But let me explain further:-

Ilkley cycles were not KTM/Bosch ebike retailers when I was looking to purchase said type of bike. They were retailing Volt and another manufacturer. Volt weren't not very good spec at that time and Ilkley only supplied shopper/ step types with the other manufacturer at that time.
So I looked a bit further afield and found another small local bike shop that sold KTM ebikes to the spec I wanted - deal done , local bike shop supported etc.

Moving on a few months ....drive unit on my mtb bike failed with less than 500 miles on the clock --- outside Ilkley cycles....they offered to replace under warranty. Moving further on ....plenty of money spent at Ilkley ( consumables, clothing, accessories for self and significant other) supporting local bike shop,and not the Internet Giants

Then in September this year wife's KTM/Bosch ebike drive unit failed with 1000 miles on the clock .....and as Ilkley had done servicing / upgrading brakes on both , took bike in and they replaced drive unit under warranty.
No mention of difficulties , collected bike, week later shop shut.

So although I didn't purchase the bikes from ilkley I have done my best to support them, It's a pity they have gone...they were a good bunch of lads .

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
In response to KTM,

The warranty on the bikes ran out two weeks ago...The motors are 1 year old and 1 month old
I assumed , wrongly it appears , that the new parts would have some sort of guarantee .....?
The upgraded Shimano Di2 gearing that I have had fitted to my road bike has a warranty which starts from the moment it was fitted and not from the date the bike was originally sold ...
The BOSCH power steering pump was recently replaced under warranty on my wife's BMW yet the warranty applies from the date it was fitted and not the date of manufacture of the car .

And this question is not specifically aimed at KTM but why is the bike drive unit different ?

In response to KTM,

The warranty on the bikes ran out two weeks ago...The motors are 1 year old and 1 month old
I assumed , wrongly it appears , that the new parts would have some sort of guarantee .....?
The upgraded Shimano Di2 gearing that I have had fitted to my road bike has a warranty which starts from the moment it was fitted and not from the date the bike was originally sold ...
The BOSCH power steering pump was recently replaced under warranty on my wife's BMW yet the warranty applies from the date it was fitted and not the date of manufacture of the car .

And this question is not specifically aimed at KTM but why is the bike drive unit different ?
The new Di2 parts you bought are new, so they have a new warranty, if these Shimano parts fail for some reason then you'll get new ones, but the warranty doesn't rest from the point of the new parts. Its still 2 years from the date of purchase.

Parts replaced on warranty, don't get a new warranty from anyone as far as I know, this isn't a Bosch or a KTM thing, its universal.

The crucial point is the "date of purchase" you've not purchase these replacement, serviced parts.

I think this is standard on all parts on all bikes.

Cars are a difference kettle of fish, different supply chains, different margins, so can't really be compared I'm afraid.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
So are the Motors supplied by Bosch via MAGURA on a warranty basis repaired / serviced units or are they brand new " out of the box " .

So are the Motors supplied by Bosch via MAGURA on a warranty basis repaired / serviced units or are they brand new " out of the box " .
I'm sure they'll be brand new.

But this isn't overly relevant to you. The motor you got back could have been your original one with a new cover and new bearings. It might have just been serviced and repaired, it might not have been a new motor. I don't know.

Warranties generally start from the date of purchase, so in order for you to get a warranty you have to have purchased something.

In this case your motor was repaired / replaced you didn't actually buy anything so no new warranty.

However as I've said on here a few times now to different people, once the warranty has expired it doesn't mean your bike is dead.

it simply means a dealer will do work on the motor that they can't do whilst its within warranty. So if you have a bearing fail, fixing it doesn't need you to buy a whole new motor. The dealer will just open it up and change the bearing.

I know people who do this themselves and don't even need to go to a bike shop to do it. Its just a bottom bracket bearing really. The fact its inside the motor isn't overly relevant once the warranty has expired.

It certainly isn't something to worry about.