KTM Corner

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Since FLI Distribution ltd http://www.shop.flidistribution.co.uk/c/ktm kindly allowed me to review their superb E-Cross p earlier on the year, I quickly became a fan of both the bike and the product base. To this end, a short time ago I purchased the superb KTM Ultra 1964 pedal only mtb and then a week ago I was unexpectedly in a financial position to start to looking once again at E-MTB's. It was a no brainer, as to which brand that I was going to head straight for, KTM.
The difficulty came down to which model to select. I'm a big fan of hub drive bikes, and the Panasonic compact hub motor system as fitted to the 'P' range is superb in every respect, and now that it has been upgraded from 47V,8.8ah 412wh to 47V, 12Ah,562Wh it will be an even more formidable combination, which is sure to make it a winner.
For my proposed use the KTM E-Lycan P27.5 would be a very natural choice to go for.

The spanner in the works for me is the new KTM Macina Lycan 27 gps+
I fell for this bike the very first time that I saw the artists impression of it, and felt straight away that KTM have a winner on their hands. Now that the bike is in full production, my belief in this statement is even stronger. In its category, and as an end user, nothing comes close to matching the looks/spec and price. For me it the e-mtb of the year.
The downside for me is the crank drive/middle motor. I'm simply not keen on the noise, when compared to the near silence of hub drive motors. Perhaps the 'performance' motor is quieter? Range is another. I suspect that the range of Panasonic is going to be better.

In the end, after much deliberation, I have decided that the Macina Lycan 27 gps+ is going to be my next bike. It came down to two things - colour, I've always loved KTM orange and black, but more importantly to me, bike weight. The Macina is the lighter of the two.
The potential for faster rear wheel removal in the event of a puncture could also be a bonus, but I've never felt that this argument has ever stood up when comparing motor systems. I can have the rear wheel out and back in in well under 5 minutes on the Panasonic hub drive bikes, so it's hardly an issue even worthy of mention.

Could do without the music!

Once I have a bike sorted and have taken delivery/collected it, I shall then post up an in depth review. I have much planned for the bike and myself in respect of taking part in organised mtb events, although sadly only three more for this year, then next year 2015, I'm hoping to go all out and take part in as many events as I can, which should hopefully get the KTM brand name out there further, along with potential sales. Someone has also mentioned the possibility of letting use a new version of Sony action cam at the rides, so that might prove to be a novel and new experience for me.

I already have two friends lined up to join us, and all being well, one of them will be purchasing an E-Lycan P27.5 and the other I'm trying to talk into buying an E-Race P27.

Other than showing these couple of photos of my current favourite toy, and until I get my bike, the rest is up to you to add to the thread. I'll add further info and bike specs etc. over the next day or so.

The superb and very rewarding to ride Ultra 1964.

Oh, I'm also getting a bit of kit sorted out to wear at the various events.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wicky and TinKitten

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A few other KTM branded bits on ebay, Eddie, to complete the Team KTM look.

I spotted helmets, gloves, water bottles, bottle holders, and there's probably a few more.

Kind of you to attempt to repair the reputation of KTM on here after Col made such a mess of it in recent weeks.

Speaking of reputations, I'm bound to comment somewhere, so it may as well be here, that getting a refund from BH reflects well on them.

I know you had more bother with the bike than enough, but it was heavily used and modded.

Every excuse for BH to largely wash their hands of it.

Money back is a result beyond reasonable expectations.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Rob, thanks for taking the the time to check Ebay.

I don't want to bog this thread down with un related KTM stuff, but in relation to the BH, it was the dealer that refunded me, not BH. BH still wanted the bike to go back to Spain, so the all credit goes to the supplying dealer and not them. He is now left to fight to get his money out of them. I'll delete this later, so as not to side track the thread. :)

There have been a couple of forum users recenctly making enquiries about the KTM e-Cross P and the 2015 incarnation of it, the KTM e-Street P

An over view of the 2014 KTM e-Cross P

A selections of photos from the review bike, which is a very underated bike, that is as much at home on metaled roads, a sit is on light trail use.

And this is the 2015 replacement, the KTM e-Street P which comes with the 47V 12Ah (562Wh) battery, mudguards and lights. Certainly a sensible package, with much to offer.

A brief over view.

KTM eStreet P Electric Bike
The KTM eStreet P is driven by the highly acclaimed Panasonic Compact Hub Motor System, created through a unique collaboration between KTM and Panasonic. At the heart of the design of this evolutionary system is ‘sportiness’ and ‘endurance’. The compact drive, built into the rear hub delivers huge power and thrust, even off-road. With battery regeneration, the KTM eStreet P keeps on going. In addition, the Panasonic system provides rider selectable assistance levels, plus an automatic mode to ensure the correct delivery of power at all times. This fully equipped electric bike is a joy to ride for both commuting and leisure riding.
New for 2015, the KTM eStreet P comes with a huge 12Ah battery running on 47v to give enormous range through its 562Wh.
Technical Specs
Motor
47V 250W Panasonic Rear Hub
Battery
47V 12Ah (562Wh) Panasonic
Gears
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M771, Cassette: Shimano HG400-9 11-32, Crankset: Shimano for Panasonic 48-36-26
Forks
Suntour SF14 NCX-D LO 700C Sp: coil Spring, D: mechan. Lockout 63mm
Brakes
Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc with recuperation. Front Disc Tektro Rotor 180mm / Rear Disc Tektro Rotor 180mm
Wheel Size
700c
Tyres
Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 40-622
Weight
21.6 kg
Frame Size
46cm, 51cm, 56cm, 60cm
Warranty
2 years bike & battery

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, brilliant. I'm off to the fridge for a beer having just won my own bet.

It was many months ago you were gloating over this new pre production bike.
I said to myself that this would most likely be the one you end up with. Excellent choice in my opinion.
I'm convinced after a few decent rides you will be a fully converted to crank drive systems.

Noise, what noise, get the wind in your hair and you'll hear nothing.

Reactions: EddiePJ

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
maybe I have missed it but can you clarify if these are the 2015 models?

Are you somehow part of the KTM official set up now or being given bikes or subsidised. Just confused because the reviews come across very professional (compliment!) and perhaps would be good to clarify for Joe Bloggs on the forums? I think I got confused with the use of KTM clothes wear but perhaps mtb scene is now like the racing bike scene regarding clothing and all that? Sorry but not a clue about mtbs but love the information so far. Would like to know if that battery toblerone shape is ever going to be reduced or changed?

would be good marketing for KTM perhaps to loan / acquire for you a gopro camera or similar.. If of course you were going to add filmed reviews to the written word. seems a bit lacking that side methinks of their marketing. Excellent bikes I agree but areas need to be improved includes suitable marketing in UK ..... Hope I am not digressing too much??

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
maybe I have missed it but can you clarify if these are the 2015 models?

Are you somehow part of the KTM official set up now or being given bikes or subsidised. Just confused because the reviews come across very professional (compliment!) and perhaps would be good to clarify for Joe Bloggs on the forums? I think I got confused with the use of KTM clothes wear but perhaps mtb scene is now like the racing bike scene regarding clothing and all that? Sorry but not a clue about mtbs but love the information so far. Would like to know if that battery toblerone shape is ever going to be reduced or changed?

would be good marketing for KTM perhaps to loan / acquire for you a gopro camera or similar.. If of course you were going to add filmed reviews to the written word. seems a bit lacking that side methinks of their marketing. Excellent bikes I agree but areas need to be improved includes suitable marketing in UK ..... Hope I am not digressing too much??
Sorry for any confusion Wissy.

FLI/KTM were kind enough to let me test and review the E Cross P as shown above earlier on in the year, and at that time I still owned a BH NEO Xtrem and Haibike X-duro Cross. I was really impressed by the review KTM, then saw the artists impression of the KTM Macina Lycan 27 gps + and was instantly hooked. My passion is for riding off road in all conditions, and I had been using the BH and occasionally the Haibike for taking part in organised MTB events, such as Wiggle rides and Evans Ride it events. I had a big love hate relationship with the BH, but by using the bike I successfully steered several (almost double figures) non e-bike owners into purchasing BH bikes. This stopped as the problems persisted, but my passion for both riding e-mtb's and trying to promote the use of them and encourage others into buying them hasn't. The more people that are out on them, the better.
I purchased the pedal KTM after returning from my holiday in August, as riding a Specialized Rockhopper for the duration of the holiday, convinced me that I could ride a pedal bike without overly stressing my bad joints.
Owning the Ultra 1964 convinced me that KTM was the way to go, when finance would finally permit me to search for my next bike.
It was only the very kind gesture of a full refund by the shop where the BH was purchased, that I suddenly became able to think seriously about the next purchase. Initially I turned the offer down, as I didn't want to jeopardize the friendship that I have built up with the shop owner.
To this end and after much research and wavering, I have decided that the newly realised Macina is the bike for me to own.
There are several KTM e-mtb users on here and else where, and I just felt that it would be good to start a thread dedicated to the KTM brand, which I have already formed a strong belief in. In fact I see no reason and fail to understand why the forum doesn't already have sub headings for all of the various manufacturers, not just this one. It would be a way of centralising enquires and questions etc from both existing and potentially new owners.

Also sorry for the clothing confusion. My existing kit is now getting very worn, tired and tatty, so I just treated myself to an early Xmas present. :)

In respect of the camera idea. A friend already writes e-bike reviews in the US and he has been nagging me to get into this. There is also possibility of being able to try a new Sony camera, and a neighbour of mine runs a film production company. I have already discussed the idea with him, and whilst this is his living and I don't like to take advantage of people, he has offered to get me started. The problem is me though. I'm happy to film rides, but don't feel comfortable to speak etc. That is currently the stumbling block.

I hope that the above helps with any confusion. I just get very passionate about hobbies etc that I believe in. :)

edit.. The Macina Lycan 27 GPS+ is a 2015 bike, as is the Ultra, the e Street p and I believe the black and white full suspension e-Lycan P. I have added a link to the 2015 catalogue above.
This was a further reason to start a dedicated thread, which hopefully over time will form an archive for the various past and present models. I feel it a better option than adding to the forum library pictures :)

Last edited:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks .. Very much clarified :)

You don't have to give an audio commentary.. Bike can speak for itself in videos and in websites such as faceboom you can add written commentary. i do agree it would make sense to have brand name categories... I need to do a review of my new replacement 2014 Macina before it gets outdated although I believe the 2015 has hardly any changes to it.

Keep up the good work. look forward to passionate reviews and further reading! Not enough good stuff to read I find on t'internet,

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I do agree it would make sense to have brand name categories...
It seems a logical and easy thing to do, that would also make the forum less disjointed.

Eddie, brilliant. I'm off to the fridge for a beer having just won my own bet.

It was many months ago you were gloating over this new pre production bike.
I said to myself that this would most likely be the one you end up with. Excellent choice in my opinion.
I'm convinced after a few decent rides you will be a fully converted to crank drive systems.

Noise, what noise, get the wind in your hair and you'll hear nothing.
Thanks for that., and save me a beer! :)

I'm not sure that I'll ever be fully converted to crank drive, as both have their merits. :)

Hubs are near on silent, you can be slightly lazier if it suits with a hub drive, it can be tricked slightly into pedalling down just before a nasty section, and this will usually be enough to get you through without scraping pedals, they slightly more stealth like, but I do have concerns in relation to possible water ingress. Hub drive is kinder on the joints.

Crank drives are actually deceptively fast, as in you think that you are going slower than you actually are for the effort that you put in. It often surprises me that my times are faster over certain sections than previously ridden with a hub motor. The crank drive has certainly helped improve my own fitness level over just riding a hub drive .To some people having a normal rear wheel could be seen as an advantage in respect of punctures etc, although as mentioned above, I don't find this an issue. I don't know about the water ingress aspect so can't say whether crank drive would be any better.

I don't think that either is better than the other, they are just different. :)

I need to win the lottery that I never buy a ticket for, and buy both. :)

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
IMHO, as ever _ I can't help feeling it's a shame you are going to be staying in your own little corner, speshly as I've just got my cheat-bike sorted & am starting to really enjoy singletrack; but there you go _ each to his own, I guess.

Hi all.... firstly thanks for the idea of setting up one place where the KTM brand can be discussed and any questions can be answered quickly.

We have just come back from a great show at the NEC, it's so nice to meet and talk to so many happy KTM customers with great stories about how their eBikes are actually changing lives for the better.

We have however just had a nice / disappointment, if that's a possible combination. We were moving around all the empty boxes in the warehouse to make room for the bikes returning from the NEC and found this in one of the "empty" boxes. Its such a good looking bike, but we're sad we didn't realise we had it to show at the NEC.

Anyway, we're confident 2015 is going to be a great year for eBikes in the UK, and we're happy to be part of this side of the industry.

Many thanks
Tom

the white does look very very nice, its high gloss and looks very posh.

However I suspect after 6 months of use in the UK offroad the classic KTM black orange colours on the GPS+ model will probably look a bit better.

and on another note. KTM don't just make bikes ;)

The full range of KTM parts and accessories can be seen here. Any of which can now be ordered via the 90 + and growing rapidly KTM dealers around the UK.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B35vfCMfgy1GRjZqVC16bm9lSlU/edit?pli=1

Regards
Tom.

quick question for you KTM owners....

how many of you have third party liability cover for when your on your bike?

All of the guys here have it, but its part of the membership benefits of being a member of British Cycling. We know a few people who've had to take advantage of it, but we've never asked them if it covers eBikes?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Regards
Col

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
The only way in which my bike is covered is theft from home on the house insurance. I have no cover of any sort when I am out and about. At the moment my financial situation means any additional spending is tight at the moment. I try to stick to quiet roads, I like to think I have good road sense and so its not something I'm prioritising at this point. I'd be interested as to whether other people think its genuinely risky to ride without.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
When I take part in the Wiggle rides, there is an automatic third party insurance, but the Evans rides do not offer third party insurance.
I have also recently started taking part in local cycle clubs rides, and although currently free to me, when or if I join up, there is automatic third party insurance included with the joining fee. It's probably worth joining for this aspect alone, although I have no idea if e-bikes are covered, and I very much doubt that the club would know either.
Insurance as whole is something that I'd like to look at, and have the details of a few companies currently floating around on the table somewhere.
I came very close to having a head on collision with another rider last year on a cycle path (their fault not mine) and the experience did make me sit up and think about what if and insurance. Even assuming a moderate speed of 15mph for each of us, a combined 30mph head on might not have been the best for anyone. As with most things in life, its easier just to put things to the side and forget about them until that dreaded day, then it's too late.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
No insurance at all.. My home insurance offered theft cover for an 'electric bike' but that was in the hundreds. From experience with other types of insurance the small print in many of these is an excuse for these companies to stall and delay payment, if at all. Having said that the health insurance industry had a slap on the wrist for doing this a couple of years ago. Still, am waiting for somebody to steal my old GT from outside house instead of having to get rid of it.. And nobody fit enough around here wants the damned thing it seems.

I did try one of the insurance links posted on pedelec forum for such insurance and it was a mighty chunk every month by the time you added value of the pedelec. It would be a handy marketing 'ploy' if some manufactureres sold their pedelecs with with basic theft insurance for first year.... And the appropriate gold standard lock which they seem to insist on?

Reactions: TinKitten

Advertisers