My first commute...

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
So yesterday I completed my first commute by bicycle. It was 29 miles in total and today I'm feeling every single one of those miles.

The day before my Dad recommended running my battery flat to give it a better life.

I cycled to work okay, it took me an hour and half but that included getting lost 3 times in the centre of Manchester - so with practice I think I can get this down to one hour (which is the same time it takes to drive).

I didn't go the way I intended what so ever, but I got there in one piece.

I removed my battery from my bike when I locked it up, but it said I had over half a battery left so I decided to follow my Dads advice and not charge it at work (just for that one day - I will normally charge it at work hence having an extra charger) and hopefully it will be pretty much flat when I got home. This is where I went wrong, I know that's the correct advice but not when your battery runs out with 8 miles to go!

It took me over 2.5 hours to get home, the last part I just had to walk as my legs had gone to jelly. I know I would have done it fine if i had power, but it was just too difficult up hills with no power. :(

Also - my bike started making a funny buzzing noise (think it's from the front wheel and maybe the brakes) as when I slightly pressed the brake it stopped for a few seconds. I will take it to a bike shop when I can for them to take a look…. here's a video so you guys can hear it:

Any ideas?

I've not cycled today, thought it'd give myself a couple of rest days as I am completely shattered.

Kelly

Last edited:
Reactions: rippedupno1

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the noise seems to come from the front brake rotor rubbing against the pads. If it's just it, It's easy and only takes a minute to fix. The rotor spins between the two pads, you only need to keep the rotor in the middle. Take a look to confirm the diagnostic.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
I am going on a free cycle maintenance course this evening run my TFGM (Transport for Greater Manchester) so I will try ask them to show me how to adjust that.

Thank you :)

Reactions: mountainsport

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
what sort of battery is it? lithium batteries dont need draining to empty as they have no memory effect. Conditoning batteries isnt really necessary nowadays. Also it can take a few charges of batteries to get full capacity out if them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
KB has a 48V battery - still, the range seems to be too short, I would expect 35 miles range on a full charge - it looks like the controller's LVC setting cuts in too soon.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't run your battery down if you don't need to. Your dad's advice is incorrect.

Glad you made the commute. After you've done it a few times, your legs will strengthen and the journey will become much easier. The same with your backside. I can't remember if you have a suspension seat-post, but a Suntour NCX one will make the second half-hour much more tolerable. Put one on your birthday list.

Reactions: KellyBear
C

Cyclezee

I agree with Trex, the disc rotor is rubbing and apart the excruciating noise it wouldn't help your range or pedalling without power.

Regarding the range in general, if it doesn't improve considerably I would have word with the supplier.

As for dad's, where would be be without them;)

My son is really lucky and get's lots of toys to play with, no wonder he is smiling:)
DSC_0005.JPG

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Well done on the commute. Keep it up and you will be the fittest bear here

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I am going on a free cycle maintenance course this evening run my TFGM (Transport for Greater Manchester) so I will try ask them to show me how to adjust that.

Trex and John are almost certainly correct.
Also check that the front wheel hasn't come very slightly loose (check the axle nuts for tightness) which can allow just enough movement to let the brake rotor rub lightly on one of the shoes.
If the nuts are tight try pushing the wheel from side to side at the rim/tyre to check the axle bearings haven't loosened slightly which could also allow the rotor to rub on the pads a little. This is unlikely but has happened to me once. Also check that the six screws attaching the rotor to the hub are tight, again unlikely but only a few seconds to check with either an Allen or Torx key. Very light contact can cause this noise, a bit like rubbing your finger round the edge of a glass to get a humming sound so don't panic but please take a minute to check the front wheel nuts aren't loose.
I should think that someone at the cycle class will have checked this by now or shown you what to do.
Dave.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Thank you all for the advice, I mentioned what you've all told me in the class (we didn't work on our own bikes) but I got him to show me how to do the things you've all kindly mentioned.

Re: the range, I've checked and the range states 24miles, well I reckon I did about 20 miles so not too far off.

My Dad apologised tonight for his rubbish advice haha!!

I have been rubbing Volterol into my thighs every few hours and feeling much better now.

Really chuffed with myself I did it and know it will become easier, especially the more I get used to the route and stop getting lost and having to turn around. :D

John your son looks really happy - he is lucky!!

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Don't run your battery down if you don't need to. Your dad's advice is incorrect.

Glad you made the commute. After you've done it a few times, your legs will strengthen and the journey will become much easier. The same with your backside. I can't remember if you have a suspension seat-post, but a Suntour NCX one will make the second half-hour much more tolerable. Put one on your birthday list.
I was under the impression it's good to run it down flat the 1st time to condition it? Then after that to top to up each time?

My backside is fine today, very comfy saddle, but defiantly will look into that seat post!!! I'm defiantly a comfort type of girl. :D thank you

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

I really admire your courage and determination, your definitely a Rick Astley fan.

MS.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Thank you - I really have put everything into this and want to get the most out of it. I don't do things by halves :)

C

Cyclezee

Thank you all for the advice, I mentioned what you've all told me in the class (we didn't work on our own bikes) but I got him to show me how to do the things you've all kindly mentioned.

Re: the range, I've checked and the range states 24miles, well I reckon I did about 20 miles so not too far off.

My Dad apologised tonight for his rubbish advice haha!!

I have been rubbing Volterol into my thighs every few hours and feeling much better now.

Really chuffed with myself I did it and know it will become easier, especially the more I get used to the route and stop getting lost and having to turn around. :D

John your son looks really happy - he is lucky!!
Hi KB,

Glad to hear your backside is recovering, this is all character building stuff and part of the ebike learning curve lots of us go through.;)

BTW, my son's regular commuting bike is a 6 year old much abused eZee bike that gets zero maintenance, but he loves it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I wonder how you're getting on.
best wishes.

Reactions: D C

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
I wonder how you're getting on.
best wishes.
Great thank you - I've been on my bike to work a few times now and it's getting quicker and easier. Refined my route now and it's taking 1hr 15mins (was 1hr 30 to begin with) and I think in a few months I can get this down to 1hr.

Saying that I won't be cycling for a few weeks now as I only have 2days at work this week coming up and one of those days I have an interview, then on Thursdat I'm going on holiday for a few weeks!! :D

Thank you for asking - you guys are all so kind.

Reactions: D C

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's good to know you've done it. 1hr 15 minutes is excellent time for 14 miles in town, you must be pleased! Have a nice holiday.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's nice to get real feedback from people who've actually done it. Please give us an update when you've done a few more commutes. It'll help others.