Noseless saddle?

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
I have a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 10, bought end-June, and so far I've done 215 miles on it. Not a lot compared to many I know, but thats already twice as much as I'd have ridden in a YEAR on my conventional bike!

For a couple of reasons I'm thinking seriously about swapping the standard saddle for a 'noseless' one to reduce pressure and vibration on sensitive areas - can anyone recommend a good one for use on a bike of the style I have?

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
but where would you rest your knackers?!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Noseless saddles feel very strange, although you would probably adapt with time. If you want to see what it would feel like without spending money, just fit your normal saddle back to front for a test ride.

Reactions: Chalkyx

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Google the ECD Noseless Saddle. This was discussed some time ago. (I didn't buy one.)

Jim

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a Spongy Wonder.

I tried various ones, but this was the only one which felt comfortable and seemed to do the job.

The reason I wanted one was that, riding an electric bike, I am in the saddle most of the time when riding rather than standing on the pedals going up hill etc.

Additionally, being a bit overweight meant that I was putting more pressure on that area than a slim and fit cyclist would.

If you have ever felt numbness after a ride then I would strongly recommend getting a noseless saddle, since numbness may be a symptom of nervous and/or vascular damage which might permanently impact your ability to 'function correctly'

The only problem with the spongy Wonder is that it is not cheap, and once you have it shipped from Canada, and paid the Royal Mail their ransom, the cost is about £120.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Size is unimportant I am reliably assured although I suspect that this was said in kindness. Years of bagpipe playing have proved inadvisable in retrospect. Four more to tickle your fancy here
http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-saddles-seatposts/skirt-bike-saddle/

Number 1 on this site appeals somewhat considering the possible influence of gravity on the Avoirdupois of the said jewels of Nos 3 &4 . Being by admission, of the Imperial measure generation, you will no doubt get my drift. Neglect at your peril the vertical amplitude modulation induced by irregularities of the traversed surface, (an unfortunately incalculable variable acting directly on the centre of gravity of the jewels) and consider the resultant approach of the pain threshold. For the purposes of scientific discourse I have ignored the equally important interface component of the complete jewel module assembly. The dynamic dimension variables and flexible mountings of this item make any calculations mere conjecture.
The Ladies, luckily, escape these problems as witnessed by two Ladies wheeling along, 'do you come this way often' says one 'no I think it's the rough road' replies her friend.

Reactions: hopbackguy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Number 1 on this site appeals somewhat considering the possible influence of gravity on the Avoirdupois of the said jewels of Nos 3 &4 . Being by admission, of the Imperial measure generation, you will no doubt get my drift. Neglect at your peril the vertical amplitude modulation induced by irregularities of the traversed surface, (an unfortunately incalculable variable acting directly on the centre of gravity of the jewels) and consider the resultant approach of the pain threshold. For the purposes of scientific discourse I have ignored the equally important interface component of the complete jewel module assembly. The dynamic dimension variables and flexible mountings of this item make any calculations mere conjecture.
Is it you that keeps writing those loony posts?

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Thanks for the recommendations guys, and some good laughs! The ISM Adamo was one I found myself, I read that it's used by various police forces where they spend long periods in the saddle. I suspect the only way to check them out will be to take a chance and buy one!

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the recommendations guys, and some good laughs! The ISM Adamo was one I found myself, I read that it's used by various police forces where they spend long periods in the saddle. I suspect the only way to check them out will be to take a chance and buy one!
The Adamo was one of those I tried, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it. However I do remember that Evans Cycles allow people to buy a saddle, try it out, and then return it if not suitable, which is what I did.

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have done 4500 miles on an Selle SMP Plus http://www.amazon.co.uk/MTB--Touring-saddle-Selle-SMP-Plus/dp/B000NVYGR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444511836&sr=8-1&keywords=selle+smp+plus

A great percentage of this has been off road, all on a Haibike AMT Pro and the saddle has transformed the riding experience. It is comfortable for long rides but you do need to get the one that fits your ischial tuberosity, the plus is the widest. This saddle has saved many people who who would otherwise have given up the sport.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I looked at those but am not sure I would feel safe on fast, twisty downhill runs. The split saddle I have has converted me, there is no compression of soft bits and the breeze is very comfortable during the warmer days. No more sweat marks on my shorts!

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Must admit I would be worried about getting my dick caught in the chainwheel ;-)

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
I looked at those but am not sure I would feel safe on fast, twisty downhill runs. The split saddle I have has converted me, there is no compression of soft bits and the breeze is very comfortable during the warmer days. No more sweat marks on my shorts!
You looked at which...?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I saw one of the Selleroyal ones (Rok???) in a bike shop. I can imagine it on a upright bike at a sedate and leisurely pace and thought about buying one for SWMBO's bike. She is a little more athletic than most and I couldn't imagine her enjoying it though.

I think habit has a lot to do with having a nose on a saddle. I bought her a Selle Italia City Gel one instead and she loves it.