Orange 6 E LE Shortest review ever!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A preliminary and end review of the Orange Alpine E LE (2018) all rolled into one. Shortest review ever!

Getting one thing out of the way to begin with, I was disappointed when Orange first announced that they were building an eMTB. I realise that market forces have created the requirement of doing so, in the ‘you snooze, you lose’ world of commerce and business, but it still grates that they have sold out.

When I saw the concept bike, I was quick to forward concerns in respect of design and function, all of which sailed over the heads of the bods at Orange, and has found it’s way into the design of this bike.

Seeing the bike in flesh did nothing to inspire or excite me. Firstly, the bike has one of the ugliest downtube designs that I have seen, and had the bike been constructed from steel, I would state that the company had decided to rob and use the forth bridge for it’s construction. To me it looks as though they couldn’t decide what parts to put into the wheelie bin, so used the wheelie bin instead for the construction.

The first task was to turn the bike on…. Long pause while I search and search for the power button, but cannot find it. After asking the shop owner where it was, and being told that even they had to phone the company to locate it, I was told that it was on the front of the downtube.

You have to be joking, who in their right mind would put a power button on the front of the downtube of an eMTB. Clearly someone that is either clueless, or just doesn’t care that it will be hit by every bit of crud and mud going, and will be impossible to find during any ride that involves said mud and crud.

The bike powered up instantly, and my next question followed…. How do you remove the battery?

The reply lead to more of me saying, "you must be joking". You seriously have to undo a load of Allen key bolts, just to get it out, and it takes how long!!! By this time, I’m starting to think that Orange have actually supplied the dealer with the prototype bike, and not the production version.

There you are mid ride, filth and mud everywhere, and the battery runs flat. I can really imagine being thrilled at the prospect of changing the battery after first unpacking the kit to find an Allen key, then getting covered in crud and mud again, loosing a bolt or two in the mud, and to make things even worse, just imagine doing this in the darkness on a freezing cold winters night.

By this time, my interest in the bike has reached zero, but I take it for a quick spin anyway.

First observation, what is the point of fitting Shimano DI2 on a bike that has a 1X set up. I can see the benefits and merits of it on a 2X or 3X, but certainly not on a 1X set up. I just see it as a marketing gimmick, to pad out the product. Totally pointless.

Second observation which is one going to be perhaps be the only unfair comment within this review, and that is that the Shimano E8000 drive unit was noisier than the Bosch drive unit. I say unfair, as the motor was almost zero mileage, so I accept that it might, or rather should quieten down over time.

As things stand, I’d not buy a bike any bike fitted with the Shimano E8000 drive unit, simply because of reports from riders that I respect, that the DU cuts out to prevent over heating when used in alpine climbing conditions. That isn’t something that I would want to chance, but for UK riding, I doubt that this would ever present an issue.

One thing that I always do when riding an ebike of differing drive units and design, is to ride the bike with no assist at all. What I will say is that the Shimano E8000 when linked to the final drive gearing as chosen by Orange, gives the most natural riding experience of any ebike that that I have ridden. It definitely left me thinking that within reason, having to return from a ride with a flat battery, wouldn’t be such a dread. Even the weight of the bike was hidden very well.

I have been offered the chance to have a proper play on the bike in a couple of week’s time, but have decided against it. I have to have enthusiasm and desire to ride a bike, and this one just doesn’t do it for me. The high cost of the bike aside, I wouldn’t buy one, simply because of the positioning of the power button, and the hassle that the battery is to remove. I’m also totally against front downtube mounted batteries, irrelevant of bike manufacturer.

I know those that have ridden the Alpine E love and rave about it's off road capability, but capability of ride and practicality of use, are two very integrated things for me. I’m sure that you could spend half the cost of this bike, and still have a bike that might handle just as well, but retain all of the required practicalities of day to day riding. I know which I would take, and it wouldn’t be the Orange.

If I were in the market for a bike that costs as much as the Orange, I'd wait to see how the proposed Santa Cruz turns out. As things stand, it looks to be a world apart in both quality and design. edit.. Scrap that, the Santa Cruz looks as though it might have the same DU, or a brose DU, with a front loading downtube battery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Interesting comments. Here's my thoughts: I like the idea of a screwed down battery on a serious off-road bike. It prevents all the connection issues you can get during constant bouncing. Obviously, if you want to bring the battery into the house for charging, it's going to be a real problem.

I don't see the switch on the front as a real issue as long as it always works. Only time will tell, but It does seem a bit daft. I agree that it would make a lot more sense to invert it all and mount the battery on the inside of the frame. I guess it's underneath because of the suspension mount. The side would still be a possibility, like the Oxygen s-cross.

It's always possible that Orange or Shimano changed the setting or anything else on the heat sensor, so that needs to be tested before condemning.

Di gears can be dodgy on a crank-drive bike, but again, it depends whether they adjusted the Di software specially for a CD bike. I suspect not. How did you find the shifting?

The rest of the bike looks OK. Orange is a British company isn't it, so maybe we should support them?

Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
One big pluses is only one pair of suspension bearings to service.

So Santa cruz are entering eMTB market. Watch youtube video where Santa cruz representative said the eMTB wasn't for them. Kind of frowned on it, came across as purist. Values have funny way of changing when large profits are to be had.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • :D
Reactions: Crockers

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the reply Dave, you have made some very reasonable and valid points.

In reply to your one question about DI2 and how did I find the shifting, this was my first time of riding a bike that comes with it fitted, and it wasn't really sure of what to expect. I didn't really know what to expect. If I had been sat on the bike and not told whether the gears were cable or electronically changed, I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. I guess that it was certainly lighter in feel, but then I have never had any issues with cable operated systems.

The rest of the bike looks OK. Orange is a British company isn't it, so maybe we should support them?
I can't argue with this statement either, except to say that the idea is fine in principle, but not in practice. If the company doesn't make the bike that you desire, or it has aspects that you don't like, then the best and most sensible option is to just look elsewhere.
I love the Orange brand, and actually came very close just this year to buying an Orange Four. I rode one on a demo day, and didn't want to give it back. It was and is, easily the best bike that I have ever ridden. I couldn't fault it in any way, shape or form.
There is a 'but' though. I decided to take things further and the shot below is the build package including components and colour that I chose, and wanted to order.
Where it went wrong was that I wanted to be double sure about things, so took a different Orange Four out for weekend of what should have been fun. The two bikes couldn't have been more different to ride, and I only did one morning of riding on it. It was dreadful.
When I started to look closer at the bike, the quality control was also of a very poor level, with the bike having a bent swingarm, and paintwork which had loads of pin prick holes. This was enough to persuade me that buying an Orange might not be such a good idea, if it was going to be a gamble as to whether the bike was going to be any good or not. As has already been mentioned, I love the simplicity of the rear swingarm and lack of pivot bearings to replace, and admire Orange from not deviating away from this. I still haven't ruled out an Orange Four at some stage, but I do want to look at and try many more first. For now though, I have kind of supported the buy British campaign, by purchasing a Genesis Tarn 20 which was offered to me at price that I couldn't say no to. Though I have no idea of how of it is fabricated in Britain.

This was my chosen spec.

Photo showing poor build, the clearance nearly touched when the suspension was compressed. Not what I'd expect or accept from a new bike, which isn't exactly on the cheap side of things.

An example of the countless pin pricks in the paint work, which can also be seen in the weld of the seat tube above. Also a shot showing next to no coating at all around the rear drop outs. Is this an example of what buying British means?

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
An example of the countless pin pricks in the paint work, which can also be seen in the weld of the seat tube above. Also a shot showing next to no coating at all around the rear drop outs. Is this an example of what buying British means?
I got a better finish from two rattle cans of AA van yellowimage.jpeg

• Agree