Oxygen emate 3 months later....

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Well I have had this Oxygen emate for 3 months now - charged the battery 6 times - done a total of 400 miles and here's some thoughts.

Quality - very good - no problems at all with the bike.
Range - excellent - I once got nearly 70 miles on one charge
Looks - not bad but that battery is a bit big....

generally I am very happy with this bike and would recommend it to anybody. It wasn't cheap - £1400 - but its been worth it. Today I had a meeting in Ealing - I live south of Wimbledon - so thats 12 miles - I did it easy with no sweating in 50 mins - and with this lovely weather what more can you ask for?

I am tempted by those Haibike things - they do look cute - though the price tag is pretty cute too...... the cytronex still tempt me too - there's one on ebay right now that will probably go for half what the guy paid for it - but I am still not keen on the whole 'cant lock the battery' thing - so overall I am happy with the Oxygen.

My court case came through too...... oops. That will be no driving for me for quite a while - so its just as well I like the alternative.

Happy peddling to all.

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Hi James - welcome to the Oxygen Operators Club! You sound as pleased as I am with mine and given that I'm approaching 3k miles, that's a lot of pleasure you have to look forward to.
cheers
M.

Pete666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2015
Very happy with my E-Mate MTB. After one month still realising its possibilities and getting used to a new style of riding (slightly higher C of G). The electrics open up something of a new World in terms of distance and time.

Electrics off and on the flat it's just a slightly heavier ordinary MTB. Take the battery out and it is nearly an ordinary MTB. Get a spare back wheel without the motor and it becomes a completely ordinary MTB – 2 bikes in one - can’t do that with an electric crank drive bike.

Very solid build and fittings, superb thumb throttle for the really lazy, wicked big disc brakes, very quiet motor. I've tricked it out with lots of high-intensity lights and dual panniers and I've got me a touring machine.

Rear spokes need watching – lots of torque from that hub motor. De-regulated this thing would be an animal.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Very happy with my E-Mate MTB. After one month still realising its possibilities and getting used to a new style of riding (slightly higher C of G). The electrics open up something of a new World in terms of distance and time.

Electrics off and on the flat it's just a slightly heavier ordinary MTB. Take the battery out and it is nearly an ordinary MTB. Get a spare back wheel without the motor and it becomes a completely ordinary MTB – 2 bikes in one - can’t do that with an electric crank drive bike.

Very solid build and fittings, superb thumb throttle for the really lazy, wicked big disc brakes, very quiet motor. I've tricked it out with lots of high-intensity lights and dual panniers and I've got me a touring machine.

Rear spokes need watching – lots of torque from that hub motor. De-regulated this thing would be an animal.
Has any one put mud guards on the oxyge MTB. If so would like to see some pics. Does the bike have an output to run lights from easily. What's it like with the panniers.

D

Deleted member 4366

SKS Beavertail XL are good mudguards for that type of bike. I fit them to all my bikes now. Something like £15 a pair and dead easy to fit. They're slightly larger diameter than 26", so should look even better on your bike with 27.5" wheels.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Thanks. I should really go for the Oxygen E-mate City with the mudgards and lights already fitted but I just don't like the look and location of the battery on it. I had a demo on a the Oxygen e-mate MTB last night and was very impressed although the tyres are very wide and probably not practical for my commute to work on roads. Does any one know if the Oxygen MTB has any connections to run lights off the battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

To run lights from the battery would require 36v lights. It's a lot easier to use standard battery lights. For the back get one of these. They're very bright and the batteries last for ages. You can use rechargeable Nimhs if you want:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171786571861&alt=web

For the front, one of these:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121649510607&alt=web

The Emate city isn't in the same league as the MTB. It has cable brakes and the motor is not as powerful. Neither is it as fast.

Pete666

Mar 14, 2015
Has any one put mud guards on the oxyge MTB. If so would like to see some pics. Does the bike have an output to run lights from easily. What's it like with the panniers.
I've attached some pics of my EMate with mudguards and panniers. As with all panniers I've had on any MTB they 'sag' towards the wheel regardless of the type rear rack. Maybe I'm buying too cheap. The battery on the EMate has a USB port - shouldn't think it would power any lights though. Note that with panniers + rear rack you'll need a seat post mounted rear mudguard and beware it needs to be slim to fit along the rack (see last pic). I've got a downtube fitted front mudguard which fits with rubber straps under the battery holder - simple job.

Attachments

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've attached some pics of my EMate with mudguards and panniers. As with all panniers I've had on any MTB they 'sag' towards the wheel regardless of the type rear rack. Maybe I'm buying too cheap. The battery on the EMate has a USB port - shouldn't think it would power any lights though. Note that with panniers + rear rack you'll need a seat post mounted rear mudguard and beware it needs to be slim to fit along the rack (see last pic). I've got a downtube fitted front mudguard which fits with rubber straps under the battery holder - simple job.
Pannniers with a more rigid back board may help your sagging.

But the bigger problem is the rack is not a dedicated pannier one which would have side framework to support the back of the pannier bag.

The rack on my Rose does the job with cheapo Edinburgh Bicycles panniers, but I had to bodge an extra spar on the rack of the MH7 to stop the pannier bag fouling the wheel.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Thanks for the pic,s. How Effective are the MTB mudguards in the wet. My loan haibike xduro trecking is knackered so I tried using my old manual MTB to get home today. Was hoping my my fitness would be a bit better after 3 weeks on the e-bike. Nope it took me twice as long on the non assist bike as I had to stop for three rests. In fact I felt that light headed at one point I had a lie down in a field for a good five minutes. When i got back up i saw some old dear had come out of a near by cottage and was on the phone looking concerned. I did think she's either ringing the police or for an amberlence so I made a quick exit. Defiantly buying my own e-bike.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I've tried googling but I've not actually found the details of what you do on the oxygen bike display to de-restrict them if your off road. Can any body elaborate. Is it a quick process you can do while your out and about going between road and trail.

D

Deleted member 4366

Press and hold the Set button until the display changes. Within three seconds, press and hold it again for about 10 seconds. When it changes again, you are in the advanced parameters. There's two things you can change there. I can't remember which button changes between the two, but it's either the power or Set button. I think the power button. From memory, the first parameter is the max speed, which you change with the up and down buttons. The next parameter shows 6 or 1. The 6 sets the throttle to 6km/h max. 1 is normal operation, though it's max speed depends on the normal LCD setting 1 to 6. Note that if you wait more than a few seconds when you're in any of the settings screens, it'll revert to normal mode, so you have to start again.

Gavin Innes

Jun 23, 2015
Dundee, Scotland
Just tried the instructions from d8veh and my God....I was up to 30mpg on the flats keeping up with traffic in "normal" mode but im worried about burning the motor out at that speed? I know it gives no more power but it cuts off a lot later. Is this safe for the bike or am i going to need a new motor in a year?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

The faster you go, the better it is for the motor. It's going slow up hills that will burn it out.

Gavin Innes

Jun 23, 2015
Dundee, Scotland
I still don't know how to totally read the LCD screen. It seems to switch to "ECO" a lot with me and there are little lcd bars that go up and down. I assume its a visual representation of the amount of power I'm taking off the bike? Anyway, loving the thing. Lowered the speed to 28mph and sticking it in ECO. That should be enough i think

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I,m now the prowd owner of a oxygen MTB 13ah. Used it for first time today on my comute to and from work. Didn't have the cheat sheet for the display and had a go at deleting one of the trip displays which I managed but for some reason the odo reset to zero as well. So I 've lost 12 miles off odo which is not good for keeping track when to service if it does it again. Although when I got home and I repeated the procedure only the trip 1 reset as it supposed to do. So hopefully a one time only glitch.

Last edited:

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I ordered a pannier rack which came today but I think I incorrectly assumed the bottom connection would fix on the existing axel nuts (to big) or maybe double up on the disc break and derailer brackets (not inline) and not require their own dedicated threaded hole which the MTB doest have. Does any one want a cheap Topeak Super Tourist DX Rack - Disc Brakes. I've ordered the beam rack with side frame for three times as much which still fits the bag I got.

Last edited:

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I don't think very much of the battery indicator on the oxygen MTB it went from 3 bars down to two and then 1 and cut out in the space of five minutes. Also the odometer has now reset it itself to zero twice now. The first time I put it down to me playing about in the advanced settings but now its done it again. This is going to make it hard to know when to take it in for my free 300 mile service.
Has any one had this with there oxygen display?

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
On my oxydrive kit (similar to emate mtb) I have had the battery indicator ( on the LCD display) falling from three bars to two and one within a few minutes. After this at one bar I got a code 6 ( which the manual states as code 39) low voltage indicated but never had the odo reset itself though.

Last edited: