Problems after replacing freewheel

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
So I'm not sure what the problem actually is so I'm afraid this may take a while to explain (sorry).
I have a Mezzo that has been converted with a rear hub motor. The 9-speed freewheel cluster was replaced with an 8-speed in the process and all was fine. I only had it after it was converted.
I then replaced this with another 8-speed from d8veh as I wanted 11t not 13t.
Since replacing this I now have the following problems:
The wheel is extremely difficult to remove and replace - the dropout seems too narrow for the hub. This was the case with the old 8-speed freewheel and you have to prise the wheel out or back in.
The wheel used to spin quite freely and now it slows and stops after a few turns (brake is not touching).
There is a noticeable 'notchiness' when turning the wheel by hand even without the chain on it.
The rear derailleur now sits even closer to the sprockets almost touching. I can't seem to adjust it away. It i snot however the source of the notchiness noted above.
There a squeak when turning the wheel.

It seemed a simple enough swap except for the problem with the wheel not fitting the droupout so i'm not sure if I've messed up or if its just not going to work with the new freewheel. Even if I have to go back to the old one the spacing seems like a problem.

Hopefully that makes some sense and not too much rambling.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

You need an extra washer on your axle. It sounds like the freewheel is touching your frame. Make sure the washer is small enough so that it doesn't touch the freewheel too. A standard 12mm washer should be OK in that respect for A DNP freewheel because the inside diameter is quite large.

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
Hi d8veh
Thanks for the quick reply.
There's a good gap between the freewheel and the frame of a couple of millimeters. I cannot see anywhere that it is touching. Even if it were I'm not sure I could even get a washer in there as I already have to lever the frame open to get the wheel in.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the freewheel touching the side-plate of the motor then, in which case you need a freewheel spacer?

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
No there's a gap there as well. The rumbling/notchiness as when i turn the wheel backwards so the freewheel moves as well and the squeak is when I move it forward.

D

Deleted member 4366

When you turn the wheel backwards, it turns the motor, which is probably what you feel.. When you turn it forward, it freewheels.

The squeak is probably the brake.

To adjust the derailleur, there's a screw on the back by the hanger.

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
When you turn the wheel backwards, it turns the motor, which is probably what you feel.
Is that normal? I'd not noticed it before.

The squeak is probably the brake.
The brake is disconnected when it squeaks. Not touching at all. It seems to be coming from the hub/freewheel.

To adjust the derailleur, there's a screw on the back by the hanger.
I've tried that screw. It doesn't appear to shift the derailleur at all. :-(

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You can feel notchiness if any of the phase wires are shorted together. Just a thought.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I just mean that if you have the wires disconnected, ensure they aren't touching each other. I suppose there's also a slim chance that you have a damaged cable where you took the wheel out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is that normal? I'd not noticed it before.
These motors are always notchy when turned backwards, since the internal freewheel is locked then. It's just the rotor magnets tugging at the poles as they pass.

D

Deleted member 4366

If your phase wires are touching, you can hardly turn the motor. You're feeling the normal motor turning.

The freewheel can't squeak. When you pedal, everything goes round with the wheel. The only possibility is that you have a washer touching the inside, but, as I said before, it has a large hole in it, so plenty of clearance for a standard 12mm washer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
These motors are always notchy when turned backwards, since the internal freewheel is locked then. It's just the rotor magnets tugging at the poles as they pass.
Ah ok that may be it. It's just something I never noticed before even though it now makes a loud enough noise when the wheel is turned slowly. Maybe I need to find another one to compare.
The squeak when going forward is definitely new.

Advertisers