Suspension Seatpost

Robw1uk

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2009
Northampton
Does anyone know if there i a decent one that works ok for about £30 or £40 max , and does anyone use one and is happy with it .

Cheers Rob

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I've had one but not used it for years. Can't remember why. I've decided to try it on my new bike as my a*** is sore after today's ride. I'll let you know what I felt after next ride.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I used to reccomend the Post Moderne Cushy SL at £25 rrp which was in a class of its own for the money (Evans had them at 15quid at one stage)

Obviously no Cane Creek Thudbuster but then not 100-ish quid either

thing is they discontinued them :(

But not that long ago so if you can find a shop which still has them in stock def worth it in my view

Great for road use to take out road buzz - not a replacement for proper suss forks for off-road though. I seem to recall an ex-member Eddieo found a German site that sold the thudbuster cheaply. If you up your budget a bit you might be able to one ?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Does anyone know if there i a decent one that works ok for about £30 or £40 max , and does anyone use one and is happy with it .

Cheers Rob
I wonder what the Suntour SP12-NCX, parallelogram would be like. I had a suspension seat post but found it sank right down when I sat on it. Normally, when going over bumps I lift off the seat and absorb the undulations through the peddles. A bit over your £40 but may be worth waiting for.
Anyone used one?

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I bought one for my last bike, from EBay, for about £12. It works well, but at first use it feels as if you have a puncture, as it takes all the jars out. Make sure you get the correct tube size. I transferred it to my Woosh Santana, and put the saddle from that on my old bike, passed to my daughter. I am off the road, recuperating, at the moment, so cannot give a proper report on the Santana. I've done about fifty miles on it, in total. The front suspension on that is the first I've ever had, and it works a treat.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I've just ordered a NCX from rosebikes for my hardtail marin bike. I tried to get a Thud buster on ebay but i was always getting outbid.....In the end i decided to get the NCX and by all accounts the Suntour NCX is supposed to be better.
It's one of those things that you can't skimp on, you'll only have to buy it once. I think rosebikes recently reduced the price to £66+shipping, so i'm glad i waited.

Suntour seat post SP12-NCX at a low price in the online bike shop www.rosebikes.com

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I've had one but not used it for years. Can't remember why. I've decided to try it on my new bike as my a*** is sore after today's ride. I'll let you know what I felt after next ride.
Different post size.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I've just ordered a NCX from rosebikes for my hardtail marin bike. I tried to get a Thud buster on ebay but i was always getting outbid.....In the end i decided to get the NCX and by all accounts the Suntour NCX is supposed to be better.
It's one of those things that you can't skimp on, you'll only have to buy it once. I think rosebikes recently reduced the price to £66+shipping, so i'm glad i waited.

Suntour seat post SP12-NCX at a low price in the online bike shop www.rosebikes.com

Would you recommend this product?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Yes Taff
Sorry i forgot to report back.
It's second best to full suspension, but for our marin hartail with a BPM it's really essential and has transformed the ride. It doesn't just take out the jolts the ride is best described as very plush. Pedals and handlebars are still rigid (of course), so you get a good idea of how it's working.
It has about 3-4" of travel. There is an adjustment for spring pressure wich works well for my weight (65kg). My missus is quite a bit lighter and hasn't tried it yet. She is also smaller, so i've had to reduce the height of the seat post tube because it won't lower as far as the original post.
Overall...it does the job very well. I can recommend it.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
D'you know - I've looked at that picture all ways to Sunday & I can't, for the life of me, make out how the thing works :confused:

I'm usually quite quick at sussing the mechanicals too.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
D'you know - I've looked at that picture all ways to Sunday & I can't, for the life of me, make out how the thing works :confused:

I'm usually quite quick at sussing the mechanicals too.
You sit on it and it bounces up and down....:)

The as the seat moves down (or bike moves up) the first roller pushes the plunger down against a spring in the bottom of the seat post. The second roller has no use except to limit the upwards movement of the seat. I'm pretty sure that the two parallel bars are indentical so it maybe possible to swap them over should they ever start to wear the bushes.
I believe it's possible to get softer or harder springs, but i'll see how we get on with the one that is already fitted.

Not many places are stocking them Taff. You could always get a 27.4 mm and a reducing sleeve.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Not many places are stocking them Taff. You could always get a 27.4 mm and a reducing sleeve.
I mailed Rose Bikes yesterday and got a response 1st thing this morning - so I'll order post + shim.

Had a great ride today (40miles) - see my BLOG.
I fitted this Selle Royal Gel Saddle first and it was a much better ride.

IMG_3807.jpgIMG_3808.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
View Blog entries reads "no blog entries" :confused:
Um. I thought there might be something amiss. I see it but it has a 'draft' symbol next to it. There seems nothing to actually post it.
Ha - just seen 'advanced editing' - I posted it from there. Is visible now.

Last edited:

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
According to suntour they have a 50mm travel, which is very handy.
SR SUNTOUR Cycling
Similar to the old NEX3? that I've got on my Dahon folder. Bought it for a Mountainbike but found it's 27.5mm didn't fit! Oops. i took the plug out of the bottom of the dahons seatpost and found it slid right inside the alloy post (not long or fat enough on it's own). So using the post upside down in dahon with 2 clamps cludged together to hold it in /on . Spring is adjustable with Allen key pretensioner in bottom of post. Nice bit of cushy travel but no absorber just spring, so some pogo recoil :)
(keep it lubricated, messy:-D as wear makes black muck as alloy rubs!)

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
OK.
Back from Hols; fitted Suntour suspension post and fitted original razor-blade seat. Post works but razor-blade seat doesn't cut the mustard... or rather...

Next trip will be with suspension post and Selle Royal Gel Saddle. That should do it nicely. :eek: