Things Learned Since Joining This Forum

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
I've been on here for around a year now. I'm not the greatest contributor as I'm still learning lots from all you good people out there. However, I thought I might share some of the gems I've learned, which may be obvious to many, but were new to me, and invite anyone else who wants to share their learning.

• Electricity is potentially dangerous and should never be treated casually. My learning about this was enhanced after I shorted my bike light power supply onto the bike frame. This blew the controller which was resting in the metal frame of the bike. Always disconnect the battery when messing with the leccy wiring.
  • Amps are good for torque, volts are good for speed. Controllers can be over volted a bit and shunts can be soldered to provide more amps. But be careful and don't go over the top.
  • There are many different controllers out there. Unfortunately they are not all common connections and wiring colours are a bit of a lottery. Keep calm and don't panic. Be logical and take your time.
  • Motors are mostly reliable but can sometimes make funny noises. The first port of call is to check the connection at the wire from the wheel. Motors seem to complain if the connections are not great.
  • All bikes are built with a price in mind. Ordinary bikes without leccy are similar and if converting think about the extra stress being put on the components. They are not over engineered except in rare circumstances.
  • Lithium batteries are great, but care needs to be taken with them and respect is the order of the day, not fear. They are also extremely variable and the descriptions need to be questioned if buying from an unknown supplier. Capacity is not the only issue but discharge rates are vital. This impacts on the efficiency of the controller. Even kits are not immune from ill matched components.
  • Leccy bikes are great and mine has got me fitter with more energy. There's nothing quite like the movement and motion for soothing the soul after stressful times. Perhaps the serene demeanor is what causes the irritating shouts of 'cheating' from passers by.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Agree with the above,

For me: I dont need to use a car for 95 percent of my journeys

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
Something else to add to the list: Banggood.com . I'd never heard of this site before and now it's one of my favorite places to browse for stuff. The LED lights are very powerful, the cheap one especially so, but shoddily built. A bit of care, some silicon sealant and the light is great. Also got a great deal on GU10 LEDs for the kitchen £15 for 12 and they really are good and not shoddy. Under unit LEDs are going in tomorrow. And that's something else, LEDs. I wasn't aware that they could become so hot, I'd always thought they were a very efficient cold light. There's folk on here who know a lot about LEDs and they talk about them needing to have 'drivers'. Not sure what one of those is or why. But I'm willing to learn.