Tref from North Wales

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
Hi all,
I found the Pedelecs web site about a week ago and have been totally fascinated by it. I didn't realise that there was so much choice of bikes.
I am nearly 65 (end of this month) ,retired and have arthritis in my hip (will have to have replacement op soon). I live in a beautiful part of North Wales (St.Asaph) and enjoy cycling around the country roads as well as the cycle paths that are being created more and more.
After not cycling since last year I went out on my bike last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did about 16 miles but was totally exhausted with the pain from my hip which prompted me to find this site.
Since looking at e bikes I find I like the mountain bike style with a not so obvious battery. I quite like the look of the Burisch Synergy GT 250, Cyclotricity Stealth and Vita Uno 26 which are all in a similar price bracket. But the more I look, I'm starting to really like the BH Neo Cross. I know this bike is a lot more cash but I really like it. I'm only going to be riding for pleasure and not commuting so I would value your comments on my potential choices.

Best Regards
Tref.

D

Deleted member 4366

They're all good. The Neo Cross has significantly more power, but it has a proprietary battery, which will be very expensive to replace when the time comes. Have a look at the Kudos Tornado which has much more common and cheaper electrical components. which are easier and cheaper to replace when the time comes. The Tornado has similar power to the Neo.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
They're all good. The Neo Cross has significantly more power, but it has a proprietary battery, which will be very expensive to replace when the time comes. Have a look at the Kudos Tornado which has much more common and cheaper electrical components. which are easier and cheaper to replace when the time comes. The Tornado has similar power to the Neo.
Thanks for the input d8veh. I'll certainly have a look at the Tornado. There are not many e bike dealers in my neck of the woods so it's not easy to see these bikes in the flesh.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
If you are ever Anglesey way on a weekend let me know and you can have a spin on my KTM Bosch Macina dual hs? I am female and 5"6' so maybe bike size will be too small but at least will give you an idea?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We are not close but we will be having some exciting announcements soon. This will include a discount circa 20% off RRP (actual discount to be officially confirmed soon) on new Bosch batteries if you need a new one within 4 years (limited to one per customer). Also any referrals earn the original customer and new customer £50 of accessories free (not new we mention this when people buy a bike).

We are also looking at an offer which covers customers for any consumables. This is easy to sort for local customers but we want to decide the best way for our non local customers.

By the way we have sold the BH Emotion Neo Cross and it is a nice bike the new model comes with a larger battery as well (12ah from memory). KTM with Panasonic hub drive is good as well, more powerful but same price range.

If range is more important a crank drive such as the Bosch would be a good choice.

Best advice is to try a few if possible.

Hope this helps
David

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
If you are ever Anglesey way on a weekend let me know and you can have a spin on my KTM Bosch Macina dual hs? I am female and 5"6' so maybe bike size will be too small but at least will give you an idea?
OK Wissy, I'll bear that in mind.
Diolch.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
We are not close but we will be having some exciting announcements soon. This will include a discount circa 20% off RRP (actual discount to be officially confirmed soon) on new Bosch batteries if you need a new one within 4 years (limited to one per customer). Also any referrals earn the original customer and new customer £50 of accessories free (not new we mention this when people buy a bike).

We are also looking at an offer which covers customers for any consumables. This is easy to sort for local customers but we want to decide the best way for our non local customers.

By the way we have sold the BH Emotion Neo Cross and it is a nice bike the new model comes with a larger battery as well (12ah from memory). KTM with Panasonic hub drive is good as well, more powerful but same price range.

If range is more important a crank drive such as the Bosch would be a good choice.

Best advice is to try a few if possible.

Hope this helps
David
OK David, Thanks for the information and the advice. I'll have to try and have a look at some bikes when I get the chance.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
No worries good luck finding your perfect bike whatever you choose :)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks for the input d8veh. I'll certainly have a look at the Tornado. There are not many e bike dealers in my neck of the woods so it's not easy to see these bikes in the flesh.
Tref.... If you search the review section of this forum you will see a review of the Kudos Typhoon done by one of my Scottish customers, the Typhoon is a 29er version of the Tornado but shares most of the specification.
You are not well served by dealers in your area but if you think the Tornado is your bike selection,we will send a bike up on appro...if you don't like and it comes back in almost new condition we will reimburse...you only have to pay the return carriage.
KudosDave

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
Tref.... If you search the review section of this forum you will see a review of the Kudos Typhoon done by one of my Scottish customers, the Typhoon is a 29er version of the Tornado but shares most of the specification.
You are not well served by dealers in your area but if you think the Tornado is your bike selection,we will send a bike up on appro...if you don't like and it comes back in almost new condition we will reimburse...you only have to pay the return carriage.
KudosDave
OK Dave, I will have a look at the Typhoon review. Thanks for the offer of sending a bike on approval, that's something I would seriously consider. As you say, we don't have many dealers here.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
After spending many many hours researching different bikes I'm coming to the conclusion that it really is very difficult to make the right decision.
If I wanted a bike mainly for commuting then it would probably make the choice slightly easier based on a fixed distance/range.
Because I want a bike solely for pleasure, which means I want to go wherever the mood takes me (within reason) maximum range then becomes more important. For this reason I am starting to favour the Volt Alpine x which has a 16ah battery.
Do you guys have any opinions on this reasoning (I'm sure you do) ?

Tref.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The bigger battery on the Alpine helps but a big motor does make a lot of difference because you have serious hills around St Asaph.
The Volt Alpine has 8-Fun 250W SWXK motor, the BH Neo and Kudos Tornado have a much bigger motor. At low speed and on hills, the BH Neo and Tornado deliver about 500W, they are much better at climbing hills.
You could use Woosh predictor to check power requirements for your surrounding hills:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/clearway.php?postcode=ST ASAPH&recommend

The £1,399 Volt Alpine:

The £1,095 Kudos Tornado:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I stand corrected - the £1,949 Alpine X also has 8-Fun BPM motor and is indeed very suitable for St Asaph. But why they put the rear wheel so far back? that's not very clever.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
I stand corrected - the £1,949 Alpine X also has 8-Fun BPM motor and is indeed very suitable for St Asaph. But why they put the rear wheel so far back? that's not very clever.

Thanks d8veh and trex for your comments.
Trex I totally agree about the rear wheel position, it does tend to spoil the look of an otherwise nice looking bike. I suppose I will have to try and get down to London and have a look for myself. Would hate to order one then find that I really didn't like the look.

Tref.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the position of the controller box on the Alpine X is not very good either. It tends to collect water, either dripping down from the battery above or from surface water below, coming up and follow the wiring inside. The problem is, if the box is sealed then water inside cannot escape. Best to have controller and wiring higher up, avoiding water ingress altogether. Kudos Arriba has nearly as good components, at £1,295 seems to have better VFM.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
the position of the controller box on the Alpine X is not very good either. It tends to collect water, either dripping down from the battery above or from surface water below, coming up and follow the wiring inside. The problem is, if the box is sealed then water inside cannot escape. Best to have controller and wiring higher up, avoiding water ingress altogether. Kudos Arriba has nearly as good components, at £1,295 seems to have better VFM.
OK trex, thanks for that. More things to consider. I really appreciate the advice and input that you guys give. I suppose you could never find the "perfect bike" all have their pros and cons. But sooner or later you have to go for it and hopefully (with the knowledge from you guys) make the choice that suits your needs.

Tref.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I suppose you could never find the "perfect bike" all have their pros and cons. But sooner or later you have to go for it and hopefully (with the knowledge from you guys) make the choice that suits your needs.

Tref.
I was looking at ready made bikes about this time last year, found that the ones I like are too expensive so I bought an 8-Fun BBS01 and fitted it myself. It was dead easy, it took about an hour to fit the motor and another hour to fit the battery and wiring. The job was easy because I have hydraulic brakes on my bike, did not bother to fit brake sensors and throttle. The kit costs less than £500 direct from China and it is as near perfect for me (then) as anything I could buy for £2,000 and above. May be time for upgrade but still can't work out how. The good thing about the BBS01 is that the assistance seems to be proportional to your cadence, the faster you pedal, the more power you get. To climb hills, I simply increase the assist level from the LCD. It's not far off from the sensation you get riding Bosch bikes, maybe because Bosch bikes don't have brake sensors and throttle.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Just to make life a tad more complicated, Tref:
Have you considered the Ezee bikes & kits from Cyclezee?

You could almost be describing me, except that my hip is merely playing-up as yet, but starting to be a nuisance :)

If you have a few minutes, have a look at my web site

www.cornish-alpine-ebikes.co.uk

The bikes Cyclezee sells have the same gutsy motor as the kit, which is not difficult to fit if you're of a handy disposition.

Last edited: