Walk assist on the Bosch Intuvia

JohnF

Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2017
Ilkley
I am getting conflicting advice from Evans Cycles and Trek on how to get the Walk Assist facility to operate on my Trek Powerfly FS 5, with its Bosch CX system and an Intuvia display..
With power level at Eco I have tried clicking on the Walk Assist button on the Intuvia display, tried holding the same button on with constant pressure, and clicking the button once and then going up the power assist level to Tour and above. In none of these have I been aware of any 'push' when walking the bike. When I click on the walk assist button, the display shows Walk Assist +, so I think it is enabled.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
On my bike:-
1. Make sure you are in the highest gear.
2. Press & hold the walk assist button.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Click on the walk assist button as you've been doing.

When 'Walk assist +' appears on the display, push and hold the '+' button on the handlebar control.

After a second or two, the bike will move forward.

Assist level won't make a lot of difference, provided it's set to something, not 'off'.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My old Bosch bike was like that.

On the new one you have to then press '+' on the handlebar control.

The old system was simpler.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Probably changed slightly then.

Main thing that I've seen people overlook is the gear selection.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just to complicate matters, in some installations/markets walk assist doubles as a start up throttle.

Same procedure, but with you sitting on the bike.

I think that mode stops when you put pressure on the pedals, so I'm not sure how useful it would be.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Very disappointed that having discovered my walk assist, it doesn't work with me sat in the saddle. So it really does do what it says on the tin :rolleyes:

Gaz

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the gear selection before, just tried it and can confirm high is indeed high! I shot off down the road, worth experimenting before it needs to be used in anger :)
Tom

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Don't suppose anyone knows for the Purion display, is it the same? Also couldn't get mine working.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fish2

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Have an update in this matter.

My bike had a 2016 motor. Before the eMTB-mode. There I thought walk assist was completely useless! Unless I wasn't in the correct gear, highest or second. It also pulses the output somehow making it even more worthless.

But! That changed when doing the software update a few months ago to the eMTB-mode version. Here they changed the walk assist function so that it actually adapts to what gear you use and senses the speed and goes to your legal 6 km/h speed! Works like a charm, no matter what gear you are on it works "as it should" I believe. Only thing was that the walk assist button is a little difficult to keep pressed.

But! :) that has changed now. I got a brand new motor (CX) last week with the latest update. Here the display writes "Walk assist +" when you press the walk assist mode. First I thought it didn't work at all. But you just have to press the +-button within three seconds and hold it :) it is some two-stage activation that they have made. First I though, damn, that sounds unconvenient. But, it is actually much easier to hold the +-button pressed than the walk assist button. So this new "fix" is positive I think. They make small improvements. Great!

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Don't suppose anyone knows for the Purion display, is it the same? Also couldn't get mine working.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
My Purion works the same. Tap the walk assist button then hold down +

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
You just have to watch for the pedals coming around and digging into your calves. Was hoping it would be of use on railway bridge steps with bike channels but the pedals keep clonking the ironwork. Never happy:(

Reactions: EddiePJ

ChilledMatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
You just have to watch for the pedals coming around and digging into your calves. Was hoping it would be of use on railway bridge steps with bike channels but the pedals keep clonking the ironwork. Never happy:(
My pedals don't move in walk mode.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ChilledMatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
well then its not working?

The pedals need to turn, to move the chain to power the back wheel. If your pedals aren't turning its not doing anything.
Just got back to my bike after a couple of days away. You are of course completely correct. My pedals do indeed turn with walk assist. Can't believe I've never noticed this before.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers