Wanted THORN RESISTANT INNER TUBE

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton

Hi folks, I thought I'd ask on here if anyone knows a stockist of heavy duty tubes (29" X 2.1")
I know there's no such thing as a puncture proof tube but I need something !
On a recent ride I picked up 3 punctures in two miles (canal towpath)
I was about to order a pr of .........
MERRICK THORN RESISTANT INNER TUBE 700C/29" X 1.90-2.10"
But at £30 I thought someone would know of an alternative ;)
Thanks in advance Carl

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I spend the money on the tyres not the tubes (such as marathon plus)

Or is this in addition to puncture proof tyres ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are the most effective puncture prevention, but even they can suffer punctures from the longer thorns such as blackthorn cuttings. However, they greatly reduce puncture incidence, in my case only one in many years now in those tyres, but many in my trailer tyres which are fairly standard things.

No inner tube will protect, even the thickest are too thin to do that.

There are tyre liners on the market which some use which can add some protection between tyre and tube, but I'm not confident they do much.

D

Deleted member 4366

At the Cycle Show last week, there was a stand with puncture proof tyres. These have been around for a while. I don't know whether they're getting any better. They're still in business, so maybe they've made some progress. Whatever other problems they might give, one thing's for sure: You won't get a puncture with them because there's no air to come out. Perhaps someone can provide a link. When I do a search, I just get puncture resistant ones.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have in 2.1" both big apples & smart sam pluses.
This year I've done around 1000 miles on the apples,mostly road & byways with just one puncture.
On the Sam pluses probably about 300 off road miles &. 6 punctures.
As I try to join up sections of bridal way I invariably end up having to either use a fast road with heavy traffic or a 3 to 4 mile section on a canal towpath, it may be just bad luck but this is where I've had my 6 punctures.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the Cycle Show last week, there was a stand with puncture proof tyres. These have been around for a while. I don't know whether they're getting any better. They're still in business, so maybe they've made some progress. Whatever other problems they might give, one thing's for sure: You won't get a puncture with them because there's no air to come out. Perhaps someone can provide a link. When I do a search, I just get puncture resistant ones.
Here's the link to the supplier of these "solid" tyres.

They haven't changed over the years though, still being microcellular polyurethane. The first disadvantage is that they have the same structural stability in lateral and vertical planes. A good tyre has high lateral stability for cornering safety but much lower vertical stability to absorb road shocks. The second disadvantage is that they are a pig to force onto a rim, levering being necessary with possible rim damage resulting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Read right through that Australian article and many of the disadvantages become very apparent though. They are very much a second best solution, probably best suited to a utility rider on a good suspension bike, the former not pushing cornering limits and the latter making up for the poor bump absorption.

I've only ever seen one independent knowlegeable review, by Peter Eland of VeloVision, and I'd judge that to be damning with faint praise.

Overall it's advantage no punctures, disadvantages everything else.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Thanks for the info guys but I can't see a solid road tyre as a good replacement on the muddy bridal ways for my 2.1" wide Smart Sam's

image.jpg
Solid tyre above VS Smart Sam's below
image.jpg
I was hoping to find a supplier of tough tubes at a reasonable price.
it's a moot point now as I've just found "bike-it" and brought a pr of Merrick tubes for £24.98

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
bought a pr of Merrick tubes for £24.98
Wow! At that price they ought to come out and repair any puncture you get! :)
£12.44 each tube, how much dose a normal tube cost & what price do you put on a puncture o_O
I'll do another 300 off road miles and see how they perform ;)

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
The Smart Sam pluses use the 3mm energiser lining, whilst the Marathon plus MTB uses the thicker 5mm "Plus" lining.
2.1" is the widest, but they are good tyres for non-serious off road (Marathon MTB).
I use the Smart Sam plus, and have not had a puncture yet- I prefer them for the compressible central running bead so they can be useful on Tarmac as well as being pretty good offroad when softened.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
£12.44 each tube, how much dose a normal tube cost & what price do you put on a puncture o_O
I'll do another 300 off road miles and see how they perform ;)

A quarter of that can buy a satisfactory tube, the price I put on punctures is paid for in the Marathon Plus tyres I buy.

Nonetheless, I hope the tubes work well for you, I've no doubt their quality will be high and hopefully the air retention good enough to mean less topping up.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Some of the conditions I've ended up in have on occasion had my rear Sam spinning, looking for grip. I'd like marathons but they wouldn't be up to it mud wise.
As the winter approaches I expect more mud, last year I had the Sam's on my kalkhoff, (only for a short while before I decided to sell it)
I came back from a few rides looking like this

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK so now I've splashed the cash I'll just have to live with what I've got for now.
Smart Sam plus, 5 star protection ? So they say ! & my new 4mm thick tubes.
May be when I've worn them out SCHWALBE will have the marathon plus MTB in a 29er.
Either that or my arthritis will stop my bumpy off road winter rides:mad:

Reactions: flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've never tried puncture resistant tubes, but I've now switched over to Schwalbe Marathons on all my bikes.

Before then I was getting punctures about once a month, but with the Marathons I've only ever had one so far.

As someone already mentioned in this thread, it was through the sidewall, not the kevlar belt.

I really enjoy cycling along quiet country lanes, but a slight payoff is the monster thorns from the Hawthorn hedges. In the natural state of things they would be a minimal problem, but when farmers regularly hack the top and sides with a tractor mounted mowing arm, the carpet of "twigs" would beat anything other than solid rubber.

Here's the bug**r that got me, over half an inch long.... :eek:

schwalbe killer.jpg

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
As a youngster I got sick of repairing punctures on my Dawes racer so took the tube out and replaced it with a length of garden hose.
Only problem was it had to be half an inch shorter than the rim circumference to fit so there was a bump every revolution.
Not too bad when pedalling but a nightmare when being towed by a friends moped!!