Wet weather gear for long(ish) commute

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I'm considering using my ebike to commute a 26-mile round trip. Any bicycle-related weather gear has either been lost or can't be found (there's a subtle difference). So I am facing the purchase of a full outfit, and therefore I have the freedom to start from scratch. My main weather armour in the past (shorter commutes in less rainy areas) was a traditional cape, which kept the rain off, but didn't make you sweat like a boil-in-the-bag chicken korma while you did it. And yet I never see them these days. Way back when, the only alternative was a PVC suit, which got you wetter from the inside than the rain would ever do, and I never bothered with one.

But nowadays we have GoreTex, so I imagine the market has moved on a bit since I was last riding regularly. I know from my walking and motorcycle gear that GoreTex is very good (waterproof and breathable) but very expensive too. But does it work in a cycling context? Presumably as you are sweating less on an assisted bike, the problem of breathability is less of a worry.

So, a cape, or a suit, or something else? Any views or opinions welcome.

Thanks for reading. Off on holiday tomorrow, back in a week.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Got it, thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Capes are so cheap (£10 from Wilkos) that you should try one first. If you don't like it, get some Goretex or whatever. There's much better ones on Ebay. I have a genuine Chinese one now that I bought in a Chinese supermarket for about £4. It's the bees knees!

Reactions: tillson

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I'm definitely OK with wearing a cape. I suppose it's all about the differences between now and 25 years ago - easier cycling (not getting as hot), different riding position (used to be on drop bars riding on the brake hoods), front light no longer on the right fork, etc etc. also, I was wondering why I didn't see them on the road any more. I can't remember the last time I saw a cyclist wearing one. I didn't know Wilko did them. Will have to invest a tenner and find out :) Cheers.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
SportsDirect had some well priced 'Gelert' very light and breathable overtrousers-£10 and jackets-£15 in at the weekend, I may be tempted to try when I renew.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I like the idea of a cape, it's got an eccentricity value so I might try one for a tenner. I find these, "technical" fabrics aren't all they are claimed to be. It still gets a bit clammy inside when the rain is coming down and you are working hard. A cape must be quite breathable with that big hole in the bottom allowing air to circulate. Maybe cycling wet weather gear doesn't need re-inventing again, like a lot of other things, they got it right years ago.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I like the idea of a cape, it's got an eccentricity value so I might try one for a tenner.
I actually bought one about a year ago but it's still in its original plastic wrapping as I have never fancied venturing out on my bike when the weather has been inclement. If I were commuting however, I'd have no hesitation in wearing it as I used one as a teenager, (yellow with matching sou-wester!)

They do work!

Tom

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I was going to bid on a Carradice Duxback cape as stated earlier. The price became too high for me so I have ordered a new Carradice Pro Route at about £35 including shipping. At that price, I am expecting some quality. Will report back after road tests.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was getting ('strip in the doorway you're not coming in here') soaked through. Had a stressful day at work and just needed to get out for an hour or two. It's not nice to cycle when you're soaked through (even though I might not be cold, clothes rub and become uncomfortable) and it's not nice to cycle in breathable overtrousers as they would be a heavier fabric. So wouldn't overtrousers and throttle control be a compromise here? Light rain carry on as usual. End of the world type rain then put on the overtrousers and enjoy the wonderful world of an electric motorbike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The difference is that capes are so easy to put on and off, it's no more than a lean forward to flip one off, which sheds the raindrops from it in the same action. Nothing else compares with that ease.

I remember a few years back a paperboy delivering to multiple hallways of flats flipping his cape off in each outer hallway to avoid trailing water up the stairs and inner halls. It also kept the shoulder bag of papers dry under the cape while hardly delaying his round. The practicality of cycling capes really is unbeatable.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Of course my current solution is to carry a lightweight jacket only and when that fails (quicker than a rich tea biscuit dipped in brew), fold the Brompton and admit defeat by frequenting the land of over-caffeinated white people and getting the train.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
I just wear lycra shorts and a breathable top, i've done the waterproof thing and it was too much hassle.

Go out in the rain and get wet, dry off and stick your clean clothes on after :)

Reactions: berkobennie

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
My carradice Pro Route cape arrived today. My first impression is that it is lighter and thinner than I would have hoped. There are things I liked and things I did not.
I like that it is high viz, and I liked the fact that it has a fold away hood, and handlebar straps that you put over your wrists. There are two straps inside that you tie round your waist, to prevent the cape blowing over your head.

I did not like that the wrist straps are a bit long, but that can be fixed and is a personal preference. The cape is only just long enough at the back to cover your bum and keep the seat dry. The waist straps are only just long enough to tie together, and I am of slim build. They would be better if mounted four inches lower.

Final verdict will be given after a rain trial. It costs more than three times as much as a Wilco cape. On the wilco cape, there is no waist tie, and the hand straps quickly fell of. Is the Carradice worth more than three times the price? Ask me when I have used it in the rain.