how can i check my moter is ok befor fitting a new controller

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
last week ,might have damaged controller going up a steep hill ,

is there a basic moter test to see if that's working read something about turning moter wheel in reverse while on stand not sure what that does.
bit wary of fitting new controller (which I have) in case that gets damaged , if I fit it do I just test on pas1

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the motor is the most robust component in an e-bike, don't worry about that. The reserve spin test is for the internal clutch. When you spin the wheel in reverse, the clutch is activated and you can feel the rotor moving round inside the casing. Spinning forward frees the clutch and should move freely without resistance.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks woosh,
bike on workstand, fitted controller, no throttle or pas?
moter lead to controller not fully pushed home.

all is now working

Reactions: Woosh
D

Deleted member 4366

To test the motor:

Set your meter to volts AC, Connect it to any pair of motor phase wires and spin the motor backwards. You should see it generate some volts when it turns. repeat for the other two pairs.

Set your meter to 20v DC. Apply 5v to the red hall wire with the black to ground. Measure between the black and any of the three other hall wires while you turn the wheel backwards. You should see 5v pulsing on and off. Repeat for the other two hall wires.

The quickest way is with an ebike tester provided that the motor wire has the standard hall block connector and phase wire bullets. If you only have the 9 pin, you need to make an adapter by pinching the connector from an old controller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-36V-48V-60V-Electro-Car-E-bike-Scooter-Brushless-Motor-Controller-Tester/173245477009?hash=item28563c3091:g:O5oAAOSwWCBavxHD

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks d8veh the first bit I understand
the second bit I do not (does the meter supply the 5v?) with red probe to red wire/ black probe to black so how do I measure.

I have on order a tester but slightly more expensive at £11

but my moter /controller are all jullet/ cables so how does one check these

the moter lead is of a ebc rear moter kit I had the lead has 3 phase y/g/b and 6 other wires/ the controller connecter for some reason only has 5 wires
a thin white wire is not there. pic is of controller to moter leadDSCF1628.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

That lead will work with the tester. To test with a meter, you need a separate 5v supply to the red and black wires. You can use 3 AA cells in series, any old 4v to 5v charger or a power supply. You can also get 5v from an old PC power supply.