The role of the Pedelecs forum is to facilitate a discussion about electric bikes both in the UK and also overseas.
E-bikes are both a niche form of transport and an emerging market. As such there is a lot to talk about in terms of new technology, the latest e-bikes, kits, trends, the law and so on.
Freedom of expression is a human right as well as a value that we, as a forum operator, value highly.
Freedom of speech means all sides of an issue can be debated – one person’s view may well not be another’s, but collectively forums like this one enable balanced and broad views to be heard. That in turn can provide useful lessons to benefit the industry.
Pedelecs is here to facilitate open discussion and will not be pressured into suppressing any debate, so please don’t ask us to.
We welcome constructive, informative, tasteful and civil posts.
The forum is intended to be as pleasant a place as possible for all – for newbies and veterans alike. No flaming or disrespect for others please.
We ask that you kindly abide by the following rules:
1. No profanity or obscenities of any kind, even written back to front or disguised with asterisks etc.
2. Be nice to each other - no personal attacks on other users. While differences of opinion may lead to disagreements, we ask our members to agree to disagree politely.
3. Freedom of speech does not extend to trolling. Or using the forum to further your own agenda, whether that be a personal point of view or commercially driven. If you have an opinion on something please say your piece then move along to the next topic.
4. Defamatory, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, threatening and harassing comments are not tolerated.
5. Do not stray from the discussion topic. We have also created separate forum categories for ease of reference (with a short description at the top for more information), please stick to those topics when posting in each.
6. No impersonation of other participants or public figures. A user may choose an appropriate nickname as long as a real name is used in the personal information field (which is not publicly visible).
7. If you are not a paid-up trade member of the forum: No advertising or marketing of any kind, including non-profit organisations, not even subtle stuff, ever unless you have obtained express permission from Pedelecs UK. Please use your company name as a user name to identify yourself when offering unbiased, expert (technical) advice. We will not accept any sales slant on your services or products within those posts if you are not supporting Pedelecs with trade membership however. No URLs or sales spiel on signatures without prior permission from Pedelecs UK. No link building either.
8. No third party copyright material should be posted. Use links instead of quotes from sources rather than copying the material. Please always use links to images so we all have the choice whether to see them or not.
9. This forum is unmoderated but has the facility for users to report content that we will then respond to if appropriate. We will remove defamation and edit and amend incorrect facts on receipt of substantiation, but will not censor opinion or other people’s personal experiences.
10. We are not liable for any content on this forum. To report violations of these rules, please email us at email@example.com and we will investigate, and if necessary, amend or delete any offending posts as soon as possible. If you are issuing a formal Notice of Complaint under the Defamation Act, email the following information to the above address: (1) The name of the complainant and an e-mail address at which the complainant can be contacted (2) Where on the website the statement complained of was posted and URL (link) to the same (3) What the statement complained of says and why it is defamatory of the complainant (4) What meaning the complainant attributes to the statement complained of (5) The aspects of the statement which the complainant believes are factually inaccurate or opinions not supported by fact. (6) Confirmation that the complainant does not have sufficient information about the person who posted the statement to bring proceedings against that person (7) Confirmation of whether the complainant consents to his or her name and/or email address being provided to the poster.
Comments posted on the board may at our discretion be removed, whether in breach of the standards or not, without further comment or notice to you. We reserve the right to identify you in response to a court order or threat of legal action. You agree in our Terms and Conditions to permit us to remove any such material.
Business Use of the Forum – Trade Membership
Pedelecs offers paid-for trade membership which allows your posts to show contact details, your logo and respond to pre-sales queries in certain parts of the forum. This involves a small monthly fee to support the forum, please contact us for more details.
If you are not a paid-up trade member of the forum you cannot use your logo or a product image (thereby raising brand awareness) for your avatar since this is unfair on paying trade members supporting the forum. However, we do encourage people to register their forum username as their actual trading/company names to aid transparency. If a company is not paying to support Pedelecs, then its products cannot be sold on the forum, nor added for information or promoted in any way. You may respond in a support capacity to technical queries but otherwise the user account should not be used to promote the company’s business in any way.
If you join as a trade member, please remember: no hard sell please. The objective behind trade membership is primarily to assist forum members with your knowledge (in all forum areas); it is not to hard sell.
That said, trade members are able to show contact details and logo on their posts and by sharing their industry knowledge they are positioning themselves as knowledgeable, helpful traders that prospective buyers may wish to buy from one day. Posts are not just seen by members of the public participating, there are many thousands more viewing the forum without participation.
No sales posts in the main Electric Bicycles or Introductions areas of the forum. Factual information on bikes is allowed however - i.e. details of new products being released - straight facts (bike spec) only, no 'buy it here' type info.
Which Electric Bike Should I Buy - you can sell in this area of the forum. You can reply to a potential customer if they ask about your bike brand or if your bikes are suitable and relevant to what they're asking about.
Absolutely no SEO linking (anchor text or without) we are not a link farm.
What’s on your posts:
Becoming a paid-up trade member allows you to upload an image of your choice for your avatar, either your logo or product image.
Trade membership also allows contact details on your signature: one link to your website (without anchor text), a social media link (without anchor text) such as to Facebook or Twitter, a telephone number and email contact address. There is also some room for a line about who you are and what you do.
Trade member forum use:
We’d kindly ask that you respect a few ‘dos and don’ts’ while posting on Pedelecs. Trade members have signed up to help members of the public with their enquiries about the electric bike world generally. While we welcome shared knowledge we don’t want to put prospective purchasers off with the hard sell. We have therefore created a ‘manufacturer and dealer offers and promotions’ sub category specifically for sales promotions such as ‘10% off’ or ‘3 day sale’ topics to keep the main Electric Bicycles category hard-sell free please:
No sales posts at all in these forum categories please:
- Electric bicycles
- Electric bike conversions
- Speed Pedelecs, Non EAPC and overseas
- Classifieds (individual, i.e. non-trade sales only)
- Reviews (no hard sell)
- Events (fine to publicise events/shows but not companies/products please)
- Charging Post
In the 'Which Electric Bike?' forum category you may:
- respond to pre-sales questions if someone mentions your brands/models but please don’thijack a thread not asking about your brands.
In the Electric Bicycles forum category you may:
- Post factual information about your bikes, either announcing new products or new initiatives.
Your posts should be informational; recent feedback tells us forum readers particularly want to know the story behind new designs and specs, why this e-bike has been brought to market, to fill what gap.
This is where you post sales threads please (10% off, 3 day sale etc):
> Manufacturer/dealer news and offers. In here you can post special offers and promotions.
We are not a link farm. We have increasingly had to remove search engine optimisation links (both with anchor text and without) from the forum so we are now going to need to impose the strict rule for traders not to link to their own site or a partner site when posting please (your sig has one straight homepage [no anchor text] link to direct people to your site). If you want to detail information, cut and paste it into your thread rather than link to it please.Be nice
Please don’t be impolite: do not put down other suppliers or their products. We welcome positive comments to further promote this industry and generally support Pedelecs in that aim. You should also accept that sometimes users will air complaints based on personal experience in the forum and that we do not remove such genuine posts (unless for legal reasons) but this is a good opportunity to get feedback and put things right.