inexpensive Tow ball Carrier

Tubal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2013
Cornwall
A review of the Summit-2 towball carrier as fitted to a Hyundai i30 carrying a tonaro compy.

Summit 2 Cycle Carrier | MU-SUM-1403

This carrier is clamped to the ball by the large bolt shown (for which a spanner is provided), there is no other attachment to the car. There is provision for padlocking the carrier to the ball. It comes with lighting board, wiring and provision for two bikes -- I assembled for the inner bike only. The carrier hinges down for access to the boot when the spring loaded pin is withdrawn, but the cross bolt that forms the hinge had excessive side play, cured by inserting a washer as shown. The bolt is threaded into the bush at the nut end, the nut is a locking nut.

The bike is mounted with the drive side outwards, there is insufficient clearance for the pedal otherwise.

So far it seems fine, the bike is steady on the carrier and not too difficult to mount. The wheel ties are a bit feeble but probably good enough and it's possible to find a place for the holding clamp on the compy's odd shaped frame. The white strap is for extra security, not really necessary.

Last edited:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
A review of the Summit-2 towball carrier as fitted to a Hyundai i30 carrying a tonaro compy.

Summit 2 Cycle Carrier | MU-SUM-1403

This carrier is clamped to the ball by the large bolt shown (for which a spanner is provided), there is no other attachment to the car. There is provision for padlocking the carrier to the ball. It comes with lighting board, wiring and provision for two bikes -- I assembled for the inner bike only. The carrier hinges down for access to the boot when the spring loaded pin is withdrawn, but the cross bolt that forms the hinge had excessive side play, cured by inserting a washer as shown. The bolt is threaded into the bush at the nut end, the nut is a locking nut.

The bike is mounted with the drive side outwards, there is insufficient clearance for the pedal otherwise.

So far it seems fine, the bike is steady on the carrier and not too difficult to mount. The wheel ties are a bit feeble but probably good enough and it's possible to find a place for the holding clamp on the compy's odd shaped frame. The white strap is for extra security, not really necessary.
Good review Tubal. I purchased one too after your post. Delivery was prompt despite opting for the free P&P, rather than express.
The only thing I would add is that this requires complete assembly, coming as a box of parts. I have no issue with excess play in the crossbolt. I have replaced the flimsy wheel straps with velcro ties VELCRO® Brand Reusable Ties in Assorted Colours - the plastic buckles on the supplied straps are very feeble!

Tubal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2013
Cornwall
The only thing I would add is that this requires complete assembly, coming as a box of parts. I have no issue with excess play in the crossbolt. I have replaced the flimsy wheel straps with velcro ties VELCRO® Brand Reusable Ties in Assorted Colours - the plastic buckles on the supplied straps are very feeble!
yes, you have to put it together, and the instructions aren't the clearest but if you can assemble a Dombås or a Bjursta this will be a doddle;). I replaced some of the socket head bolts with csk ones to let the number plate fit better. The excess end play wasn't large but the movement it allowed was amplified at the extremities of the bike. The velcro ties are a good Idea, saying that once clamped up on the frame I don't think the wheels are going anywhere. I think these carriers are a Dutch companies bankrupt stock so they may not be around for long at this price. Outcome is that along with the thule roof carriers I now have the possibility of carrying 4 bikes on the car at a time, but realistically because of the weight only one would be a pedelec.