Ping 48v 15Ah custom split pack

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Specialized Hard Rock 19" (7 Speed rear freewheel with Shimano Rapid Fire)
MAC 10T rear hub motor in 26" wheel
Cellman's 30A 9 FET controller with Cycle Analyst
Ping 5A charger

Now that my Ping 48v 15Ah custom split pack has reached the 2 year point, I thought I would write a mini review, Just to highlight its strengths and weaknesses.

For those who don't know, this is a Ping 48v 15Ah battery, split into one larger pack and one smaller one.
They arrive as two separate packs, but are easily joined together to make the specified voltage and capacity.
Pretty much plug and play, apart from the battery pos and neg terminations. For convenience, you just solder or crimp your own terminations on these.
The pack fits quite snug into a triangle frame bag and this in turn fits perfectly into a 19" frame.
Slightly larger frames may be work, but could put too much strain on the velcro straps that hold the bag in place.
Remember, this is a battery that weighs 7.5kg, so needs to be nice and secure when mounted.
When I first tested the brand new battery for capacity, it had the full 15Ah's.

My average usage over the last 2 years are as follows:

Total Miles: 3261
Battery torture: Plenty of start up and hill climb current draws of 30 amps, ranging anywhere from a few seconds to a minute, depending on terrain.
Average current draw on WOT, max speed and flat ground: 17 amps

I estimate charging cycles of 120 plus and tend to ride to the last 1Ah on most trips and fully charge on return. The cycles are fairly low, for I rarely ride in wet weather, as torque can make the back end twitchy.
Battery sag at 30A draw is around 2 volts during the summer and 3 volts during the winter.
Acceleration is slightly slower when battery is cold, as I'm sure is the case with most electric bikes.

After 2 years, the capacity loss has been negligible and reliability has been excellent.

Good Points:
  • Ping's service is excellent, even though he is based in China
  • Can customize packs for your own particular project
  • Really well made packs, with good connectors
  • Works well at 2C current draw or less
  • Supplied BMS has been reliable
  • Longevity of battery appears to be very good
  • Capacity after 2 years hard use still excellent
  • Cells rarely go out of balance
Bad Points:
  • Can get stung with large import fees
  • Larger capacity batteries are heavy
  • Does require some planning and skill to fit a custom pack to bike
  • Voltage sag during last 1Ah is almost unbearable
Overall, I think I made a good decision buying one of Ping's batteries. They are a bit on the heavy side and I wouldn't recommend securing the heavier ones on a rear rack. Inside the frame triangle is a good choice for placement.
If you use these batteries at 2C draw or less, I think they can be relatively abused and still last a long time.

www.mafcleaning.co.uk

Attachments

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Interesting. I think with these Chinese batteries if you get a decent pack and aren't unlucky enough to get sent one with a QC issue they wind up being incredibly good value for money.

They are a fraction of the cost/(notional) Ah of many European branded ones and if you 'overspec' on a higher powered build (to cover up to 1.5 times their C rating vs amps sought), along with mounting centrally, the weight disadvantages are neither here nor there plus you get the power you need when you need it on acceleration and climbs for most of the nominal range.

• Voltage sag during last 1Ah is almost unbearable
I can imagine the sag if you push them to their limit of capacity with 1Ah remaining must be tortuous - especially in a comparative sense against how bike has been performing on a particular ride with more juice to hand. From my own experiences, I'd likely want to spec with a view to pushing battery to about 75% used 'notional' w/H capacity for any regular rides. Nothing to do with preserving battery life (although that is another consideration), just that way you never really wind up feeling like you're "slugging it home" :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I put my 2 1/2 year old 20aH 36V Ping on my tester yesterday. It welched out at 15aH after a constant 10 amps for 90 minutes. Once cell was down to 2.6v, and all the rest were at 3,2v, so it looks like it needs a new cell. It hasn't been used much - probably about 100 cycles. The main problem is the sheer size and weight of it. I can't find a bike with a triangle that it'll fit in, and it's too heavy for a rear rack. These graphs give some isea of battery perfprmance. See how the LiFePO4 Ping hangs on to it's voltage better. 4v more than the 15 aH silver fish battery., which means proportionally more power (10%).

Battery Tests.jpg

Reactions: Sacko
D

Deleted member 4366

Its a simple adjustable resistive load and a time, plus it has a programmable LVC.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. I note and record the voltage every 5 minutes, then enter the results in a spreadsheet. The current is 10A, so it's a simple calculation for capacity. A 20Ah battery should last 120 minutes, but that Ping had an expanded cell; however, it still performed pretty well even with one cell down.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Relieved to Know that Chinese LiPol batteries can perform for a long time without loosing too much capacity given that most are on a 1 year warrenty.From my experience of Powerbyke SLAs which lasted 5 years a set, I was able to recharge when only half 'empty'. I guess LiPols would benefit from the same treatment whenever possible.

m5powerbattery

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2015
Shenzhen China
Relieved to Know that Chinese LiPol batteries can perform for a long time without loosing too much capacity given that most are on a 1 year warrenty.From my experience of Powerbyke SLAs which lasted 5 years a set, I was able to recharge when only half 'empty'. I guess LiPols would benefit from the same treatment whenever possible.
of course, li-po batteries or li-ion batteries is much better than Lead acid battery, they has longer lifecycles and very low self-discharge, smaller and lighter.

However, if size allowed, between lipo and li-ion batteries; li-ion battery is the best option for e-bike. because cells of li-ion batteries is easy connected, keep every cells balance well, and never inflate and leakage like lipo batteries.
And lots of sample we had met from customers feedback, Also in our chinese market.

m5powerbattery

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2015
Shenzhen China
I put my 2 1/2 year old 20aH 36V Ping on my tester yesterday. It welched out at 15aH after a constant 10 amps for 90 minutes. Once cell was down to 2.6v, and all the rest were at 3,2v, so it looks like it needs a new cell. It hasn't been used much - probably about 100 cycles. The main problem is the sheer size and weight of it. I can't find a bike with a triangle that it'll fit in, and it's too heavy for a rear rack. These graphs give some isea of battery perfprmance. See how the LiFePO4 Ping hangs on to it's voltage better. 4v more than the 15 aH silver fish battery., which means proportionally more power (10%).

View attachment 8076
Graphs is easy to compared and understand. if we want the exact test result, we must collect exact information from other types of battery
For example:
1>other types of battery, all is lifepo4 battery? or some of them is lithium ion battery?
2>keep the same voltage and capacity, then start to test is better
3>li-ion cells life cycle 600~800, remain 70% capacity after recharged
lifepo4 cell life cycle 2000cycles, remain 70% capacity after recharged