Couriers That Will Carry Lithium Ion Battery Packs?

wheeles

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2012
I've got an electric motor and lithium ion battery pack that I need to return to the manufacturer in mainland Europe (I'd rather not say which company at present). Can anyone recommend a courier or couriers that will be willing to carry this? The battery pack has a capacity of about 240Wh, I believe, although I will be sending it in a depleted state.

I am sending the motor and batteries back in the box they came in which has all the required battery details on the side and will be using all the same packaging. The original shipper was DB Schenker, but from my initial web search they only seem to deal with companies rather than individuals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Hi Wheeles, I have just sent a battery back and forth to the company I bought my bike off and used TNT, there is a form you can fill out before you send the battery and attach it too the package, I will attach it on here.

http://ronny.ws/?p=46

Last edited:

wheeles

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Many thanks, Ronny. I've just emailed them (as well as Fedex, UPS, DHL, Alpha Global Logistics and DX Freight) for a quote. Hopefully I can get this package returned in the near future.

Last edited:

wheeles

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Here's an update for those that are interested.

Fedex quoted me £202.18 for International Priority or £123.28 for International Economy, and then in the next sentence said they couldn't send the item because it contained hazardous batteries and the destination city wouldn't take it. Makes me wonder why they bothered quoting.

ParcelForce said they could take it, but would have to confirm all the measurements and contents. They said they couldn't quote me before doing that.

Tuffnells (who delivered it initially) wouldn't take it as I didn't have an account with them, and was then referred to Alpha Global International who quoted me £195.00 + VAT and would take 5-7 days to deliver, and an additional 2 days to raise a Dangerous Goods Notice. Also, as I wasn't an account holder they would only take payment via bank transfer or a cleared cheque.

UPS said that I would require a pre-approved contract to ship a package with lithium batteries. As I don't have an account with them, I didn't pursue that any further.

TNT Direct initially said that it was a full Dangerous Goods shipment and that I should speak with TNT Special Services. I called them, and after answering some questions was told that because the battery pack was contained within the motor housing (it came under UN3481 - Lithium Ion Batteries Contained in Equipment), I could send it via TNT Express. They also said that as I didn't have an account (or company under which I could send it), that I should use one of the courier aggregation services, but wouldn't recommend one in particular.

DHL and DX Freight never got back to me.

In the end, I sent the parcel via TNT Economy using a courier aggregation service and the cost with text message notification of delivery cost £46.44. Incidentally, anything containing lithium ion batteries is on the prohibited list for most aggregation services including the one I used, but I ignored that as TNT themselves had said it was OK.

TNT picked the package up on Monday afternoon and delivered it this morning. Only 44 hours. I made sure to attach Ronny's form to the package. I also taped a big label to the side of the box stating that TNT Special Services had approved the package for carriage by TNT Express.

In short, it would appear that TNT should be your first port of call when looking for someone to transport a lithium ion battery pack.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Gad you got it sorted mate, TNT are pretty good, very fast too.
I was quoted some silly prices, airmail seems to be the problem, you could always not declare it and hope for the best but it does say they will destroy the battery and not even notify you if you do this :(

D

Deleted member 4366

When we came back from China, they found my spare phone battery in my suitcase and made me take it out. You've got no chance with a bike battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
interlink and dpd take batteries

Advertisers