first conversion help needed

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Hello guys this will be my first conversion and i am undecided what kit to use. I will be travelling 19 to 21 miles per day to work depending on route on/off road with varying elevation on steep/large hill or three smaller hills . I have been looking at a few options based around a 48 volt 20a/h batterie from ping my first choice is a bmc v3s rear wheel motor with 50 amp controller off ebay or a bafang 500watt ht motor with 40 volt controller from bms batteries or magic pie v3 kit ebay again i have also looked at crystallite europe 3000 series ht with 40 amp controller from crystallite europe .I want the kit to do 30 mph plus on large cycle track .Can anyone give me any advice apart from catch the bus as to what kit to buy and could anyone reccomend a kit thanks in advance

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Somt get a magic pie 3. The in built controllers fail and i have heard of lots of the controllers getting water damage, the same for the earlier magic pies with external controllers which have very limited amp ratings and are also unreliable. The pie 3 Has all the wires moulded in plastic connectors so if you get a wiring problem it will be a big problem.

20 miles at 30mph is asking a lot.

48v x 20ah = 960 watt hours.

960 \ 35 amp continuous = 27.4 minutes of battery usage on full throttle. This of course is a very rough estimate due to continuous amps being lower on flat ground pull any pedalling you are doing.

48v on a magic pie for instance will give 24mph.

Be prepared to take your charger to work with you.

I would get a fast wound 300 to 400rpm bafang BPM 500w motor and a 6 fet controller set at 25 max amps that will be much more efficient. 30mph is asking too much on a48v battery at the distance you want to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul b

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Somt get a magic pie 3. The in built controllers fail and i have heard of lots of the controllers getting water damage, the same for the earlier magic pies with external controllers which have very limited amp ratings and are also unreliable. The pie 3 Has all the wires moulded in plastic connectors so if you get a wiring problem it will be a big problem.

20 miles at 30mph is asking a lot.

48v x 20ah = 960 watt hours.

960 \ 35 amp continuous = 27.4 minutes of battery usage on full throttle. This of course is a very rough estimate due to continuous amps being lower on flat ground pull any pedalling you are doing.

48v on a magic pie for instance will give 24mph.

Be prepared to take your charger to work with you.

I would get a fast wound 300 to 400rpm bafang BPM 500w motor and a 6 fet controller set at 25 max amps that will be much more efficient. 30mph is asking too much on a48v battery at the distance you want to go.
I think ive decided upon a mid drive kit like this Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390771561969 they are getting good reviews and will make the early commutes a lot easier

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Ok, no probs. i know nothing about mid drives, i have built my own batteries, many hub kits,bikes and wheels, but no mid drive. Just be careful not to be pulled into the enticing Chinese marketing, they are the world masters!

How does 120rpm mid drive equate to rpms on hub drives?

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Ok, no probs. i know nothing about mid drives, i have built my own batteries, many hub kits,bikes and wheels, but no mid drive. Just be careful not to be pulled into the enticing Chinese marketing, they are the world masters!

How does 120rpm mid drive equate to rpms on hub drives?
Hi andy the 120 rpm powers your bike gears with a 48 tooth front chainring when in high gear with 48/11 this in theory should give you 36 mph

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Sounds good. The kit looks nice and neat too. Quite stealthy and well designed. Have you tried going on the american forum Endless Sphere to see what experiences people have had on there with mid drives or even the kit on ebay. There is a huge wealth of knowledge on there. Maybe worth visiting before fronting your money to china.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Cheers andy im still looking ive put another thread up on hear about it and one guy has used his with good success so they seem to becoming more popular their is a cheaper supplier but has sold out but i will wait has it is 300 dollars less

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Sounds good. The kit looks nice and neat too. Quite stealthy and well designed. Have you tried going on the american forum Endless Sphere to see what experiences people have had on there with mid drives or even the kit on ebay. There is a huge wealth of knowledge on there. Maybe worth visiting before fronting your money to china.
I have been reading reports on endless sphere and their are lots of good reveiws but their was a restricted version so i hope i dont end up with one of them lol

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
An ebike that's capable of 36mph assisted;
But looks "stealthy"...

Even wearing your y-fronts outside your trousers is unlikely to convince the local Ossifers of the Law that it's legal.

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Well maybe not so stealthy in the cornish alps :) but maybe for early morning commutes he can get away with it.
I once made an 84v battery pack to do 40mph. I rode it once and then went quickly back to 54v. Dangerous in my opinion.

Sam458

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2014
If you're still deciding between hub motor and crank drive I'd definitely pursue the hub motor conversion. I've tried both (crank drive 8FUN & crystallite geared hub motor) and the hub motor is a MUCH more pleasant conversion and runs that much smoother. Crank drive gives you more torque with the same power but is much more fiddly and can lead to problems with powering that much extra torque and power through a gear set that is only designed for human power.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
If you're still deciding between hub motor and crank drive I'd definitely pursue the hub motor conversion. I've tried both (crank drive 8FUN & crystallite geared hub motor) and the hub motor is a MUCH more pleasant conversion and runs that much smoother. Crank drive gives you more torque with the same power but is much more fiddly and can lead to problems with powering that much extra torque and power through a gear set that is only designed for human power.
Hi sam thanks for the reply mate i have been thinking the same thing looking at the position of the large cog on the crank drives it looks as you will be crossing gears in top speed putting more side pressure on the chain and i cant see the bottom bracket lasting out too long .I have been looking at cellmans mac8t with v3 cycle analyst i climb one steep hill at the start of my commute but dont mind peddaling to help the motor then my ride is a lot flatter .which crystallyte motor do you run sam and what is the performance like? I have looked at the crystallyte europe page but wouldnt know what to buy

Sam458

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2014
Hi sam thanks for the reply mate i have been thinking the same thing looking at the position of the large cog on the crank drives it looks as you will be crossing gears in top speed putting more side pressure on the chain and i cant see the bottom bracket lasting out too long .I have been looking at cellmans mac8t with v3 cycle analyst i climb one steep hill at the start of my commute but dont mind peddaling to help the motor then my ride is a lot flatter .which crystallyte motor do you run sam and what is the performance like? I have looked at the crystallyte europe page but wouldnt know what to buy
No problem! I did like the 8FUN crank motor setup but had the same trepidation about the bottom bracket not holding up. I had to constantly make adjustments to the mounting so that there was zero play in the system. I ended up selling it to another enthusiast. I bought my 250W geared motor second hand so I'm not 100% sure which one it is (oooops!). But to be honest from what I've seen and heard a lot of the similar 250W internally geared, sensor-less motors that look similar to the crystallite and are just as reliable. It will just depend what controller you're using. I think they all use about the same gear reduction ratio and you'll be really surprised at the torque of them.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
Yes their are a lot of people happy with the geared hubs on endless sphere the mac with infineon controller seems a good choice and would be ideal for my 9 or 13 mile route im liking the look of cellmans triangle batterie pack too:)