Newbie with dodgy knees!

Silas Flyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Hi all, having decided I needed some assistance to keep taking the dogs on the walks that they like, I quickly dismissed all mobility buggies, scooters, etc., considered a powerboard, moved to a pedal assisted scooter and logically arrived at ebikes; then a whole new world of detail, specifications and opinions opened up. A boys toys wonderland.

I've learned the difference between pedelecs and ebikes, toyed with frame styles and folders, researched hub drives and crank drives and nearly drowned in battery technology. Thank goodness for the internet. Pedelec and atob have been very informative and a few bike companies have really helpful websites. So, now I have loads of knowledge but .....no experience. It would be easy to spend a lot of cash buying what someone else thinks is the best but I think it would be wise to spend a moderate amount, gain experience and then review.

I've decided to buy a Woosh Zephyr CDN. Not too cheap to sacrifice quality, reasonably compact (I'm not very tall), a folder which gives me options between the motorhome and car, crank drive through a three speed hub which seems mechanically sensible and would give me a slow speed capability when walking the dogs. I wonder what I'll be thinking in six month time?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've decided to buy a Woosh Zephyr CDN. Not too cheap to sacrifice quality, reasonably compact (I'm not very tall), a folder which gives me options between the motorhome and car, crank drive through a three speed hub which seems mechanically sensible and would give me a slow speed capability when walking the dogs. I wonder what I'll be thinking in six month time?
You'll be thinking, "this is the best thing I've ever bought" ;)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Probably not relevant, but as you say you intend taking the dog for walkies, a small-wheel bike with low centre of gravity seems a sensible choice for when the daft beggar takes off & you've got the lead attatched to the bike.

Unless the pooch is into serious offroading, of course.

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Thanks for the encouragement Jimod and good point Jackhandy although as there are three pooches perhaps I should harness them up and dispense with the battery.

I tried my first ebikes today and now I'm confused again. A compact with small wheels was too twitchy, a Bosch drive was ok but a step through Wisper was more impressive. Do I stick with my original (theoretical) analysis or do I go and try lots more. I love this stage, all the pleasure of anticipation and not a penny spent!

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
If you will ever have to pick the bike up (to load it into a car, or up some steps, or whatever) it would be prudent to consider the weight of each bike you're trying. I was quite keen on the Wisper too, until I tried picking it up and nearly gave myself a hernia...!

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Silas Flyn,you seemed to have settled on the Woosh bike so I delayed in posting,but now you seem undecided. Most of our Kudos Secret sales are to motorhome users who value the lightweight(18kgs) when lifting it on the rack of a motorhome. An electric bike is a useful means of transport to motorhome users,you have found your pitch,got settled,then have a reason to go to the local town,its bike or taxi!!!
The 2014 spec Secret had a dual height seatpost to accomodate 5' to 6' riders and a bigger diameter chainwheel to lower cadence.
I know the Secret well it carries my 'sir been weightlifting' weight of 17 stone up some very steep hills.
Where is your location I will try to get one locally to test.
KudosDAve

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Excellent point axolotl, I intend to get a tow bar carrier and wasn't too worried about weight until I realised that a folder would give me the option of more secure storage inside my motorhome as well as in the boot of the car when I don't want to use the carrier, so now weight has become an issue to consider.

Thank you KudosDave, I'm based in Mid Devon twixt Exeter and Taunton but would travel to test. I've read many of your posts and you have given sensible advice with only the slightest element of bias so I have pored over the information on your website. I then spent far too long this morning doing the spreadsheet trick and you'll be pleased to know that the Secret is coming a very close second to the Zephyr. My issue is derailleur gears; apart from struggling to spell it, like a previous poster I have never been comfortable with them and I am quite attracted to the hub drive direct to the gears on the Woosh bike. Is there a reason why others don't have this arrangement?
As an aside, I'm new to Forums and would like to contact the previous poster Glove Making Man who has a Zephyr. How do I do that?
Many thanks to all of you for replying to my first attempts on Pedelecs.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Silas Flynn.....I have just ordered another 110 Kudos Secret bikes with no mods over the previous batch,I have about 40 left from the current batch,it has proven a very popular bike.
We didn't fit a Nexus hub to the Secret because that would have meant moving the drive motor to the front wheel,not ideal on a small wheeled bike,easy to spin the wheel on a wet day.
We fitted the Nexus 3 hub gear to our Versatile bike but some customers occasionally ride the bike unassisted,then the extra gears are useful finding the steps on a 3 speed to be too wide.
The derailleur system fitted to the Secret is an easy change and anyway you tend to change gears less often because of the power band available,I only change down when faced with a steep hill,small inclines can be rode in top gear.
I have a new (and keen) dealer at Weston super Mare,DS automotive,full details on my website, at your request I would send a Secret down to him,without any commitment on your part.
We looked at putting the crank motor into the Secret,when everybody was going crank drive mad but it adds a lot of complications,puts a lot of load onto the Nexus 3 hub (rider plus motor load going through the same hub gears. The Nexus 3 is a tiny hub with very small internal gears,to be fair I have not heard of failures but our arrangement has worked so well,why take the risk-if it isn't broke,don't fix it.
Trust that answers your queries.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the point about using Nexus gear on a small bike is the meters development. You can cycle comfortably the Zephyr CDN at 17-19mph at normal cadence (70-80rpm). How fast can you cycle with your Secret?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Silas Flyn, if you want to try some more bikes I am not too far away from you and have some different bikes that you could try. Check out my website http://www.bikehigher.co.uk and get in touch if you're interested.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
KudosDave,
I sent you a PM (or started a conversation as it's now called) a while ago. Have you seen it?

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
KudosDave and Jonah thank you both for your helpful offers. I'm a carer so I have to plan my free time well ahead, I'll start manipulating the diary and get back to you. Hopefully this weather will last, it'll put a shine on any bike ride.
Cheers
Silas Flyn

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Thank you Trex, I spotted that Jonah mentioned a "conversation" yesterday so I tried that and GMM has responded. He is reassuringly positive about his experience with his Zephyr and it looks like he has found some really good mods for it.

Reactions: GloveMakingMan

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
he's done a fantastic job that transformed a good bike into a lovely bike. That new saddle is a far cry from the one that came with the bike.

Reactions: Silas Flyn