Does anyone do off road night riding?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As the days are getting shorter we are approaching the time when it's still warm enough go out at night. I find it exilerating out on the trails in the pitch black with no pibedals or dogs about, well, not many. Good lights are the key....

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Back in the day, In a previous life ;)
Me & a mate would tear round the local woodland on our green lane motorbikes (totally illegality trespassing).
We loved it but even riding slowly hazards were hard to spot & often caught us out, at least we could help each other should it be required.

Anywho, now I'm older and a little wiser (only a little) I wouldn't want to risk an off on my own in the dark, knowing no one else would be coming my way for quite some time.
Now if there was a group of riders, then that's a different story:cool:

What's a pibedal :confused:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Me & a mate would tear round the local woodland on our green lane motorbikes (totally illegality trespassing).
We loved it but even riding slowly hazards were hard to spot & often caught us out, at least we could help each other should it be required.

Anywho, now I'm older and a little wiser (only a little) I wouldn't want to risk an off on my own in the dark, knowing no one else would be coming my way for quite some time.

Pibedals.
Person walking or running with ears blocked and no thought to other users of the path.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Had a couple of night time green lane hobbies when i was younger,one was poaching the other was ;) the first i did solo but not the second.

Reactions: flecc

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yes, I love riding off road at night - gives a totally different perspective. Also a great time to ride footpaths, as you're unlikely to conflict with regular users - just steer clear of farmhouses or turn the lights right down.

If it's a new track I've not ridden before, I make sure there's at least two of us. If it's a track I've ridden regular, I'll do it on my own but make sure I leave a route plan with the wife incase the unfortuante happens.

I have one of these for night riding coupled with 6x of these - last nearly 24hrs on low setting. I also take a flashlight and a couple of 1850 batteries as backup.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Riding at night off road is one of my favourite pastimes. :)

I'd be lost with my trusty Fenix BT20 though. :)

That looks like a good light! I have a prior hope one's on the bike and a cheap Chinese cree on my helmet. I find the helmet mount is the best then you can look where you are about to go. Just don't look at anyone you pass :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Some of the cheap Chinese cree are very good. I'm sure that D8veh posted up some details a while back of some recommended ones.

The problem for me is that I tend to ride where I shouldn't be on MOD land, so often using a light isn't possible. I just reckon that it adds to the fun, although I did take a hell of hit to the front end of the bike a few nights ago, at around 30mph. I hit a drainage channel, and was pretty lucky to have made it across. I guess that it just adds to the challenge. :D
Not using a light also got me very lost and disorientated on the same ride. That aspect of things, I wasn't quite so happy about, as the MOD ground has many areas that it wouldn't take much to sink in. I was also starting to get a bit worried about the battery as well, and I didn't want to turn the console light on to look.

My trouble is that I just can't get enough of being out on the bike, and I'll probably be out again playing tonight. The downside of it is not being able to get the bike cleaned up when I get back. The soil around here is very acidic, and leaving the bike for just an evening, has it looking like it's been in a salt bath. :(

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Eddie why not use NV goggles or thermal?

x rider

Just Joined
Aug 25, 2014

I didnt know what a pibedal was either. I found that with a rubbish head torch as long as you have ridden it a few times by daylight your pulse meter shoots up and you can still get round in the same time. Wicked fun. I love it. My age age and a few kids has also reduced my OFF options. And very true.. alone is a bit too risky...... but thats age??

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've caved in tonight and decided that I need to re think my evening/night riding.

I went out on my recently acquired pedal only mtb, and took two falls, one of which took both myself and the bike into a hole that went up to my waist.
I was riding a route that I knew fairly well, and was just entering the MOD ground when things started to go wrong for me. The forest area had been cut, and suddenly the route was no longer defined. It took me approx 15mins to find the bridge that I needed to cross, and yet I had only been about 10 metres away from it.

Not the best of rides.

The zig zag backwards and forwards is where I became lost. Incredible given that it is open ground. The buildings are the army camp.

I also took another fall about a week ago in the dark, and my leg hit the nose of the saddle. Even now is very bruised and black. :(

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I guess you need more light (but that would rule out riding the mod land) or night vision assistance. Hope your bruises are not too painful and that your bike is okay. That big tumble sounded nasty. :-(

Advertisers