Helmet Lights

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Better to hold the hammer against a fixed surface and hit it with your head at 15 mph for simulation purposes

Reactions: flecc

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Clip the battery holder on your hi-viz vest (oops, just opened up another controversy!), and just take wires up to the 'halo' of lights on your head.
Just have to overcome the 'crown of thorns' argument now!
Fibreoptics, you know it makes sense ;-) cheers, Mikey

Reactions: steve.c
D

Deleted member 4366

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
I forgot to say, Steve. That, s a really good project with an excellent outcome. We need more people like you on the forum.
Really Years ago (1972) we had a stealth Labrador (all black & invisible at night). I used to take her for walks off-leash across a grass airfield that was not used at night. Could never see her, but she would respond to her name. At that time you could get ex-WD lifejacket lamps that had a tiny red light and a D cell (U2?) battery. I modded it to fit her "night collar" and I could track her with no problem therein. Years later (mid 80's) I did the same with 4 high intensity yellow LEDs and a 9 volt pp9 battery for a later version of the stealth Labrador - made it look like "the hound of the Baskervilles"

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
The helmet on dragons den was a torch( brand), seem to be a lot of problems with them ie not charging poor finish broken buttons , alought i think they are a great idea, as is steve,c i think il wait for further devlopment of both products :rolleyes:. more info on torch brand at www.kickstart.com

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Thanks d8veh that means a lot:D I have now used it on the road few times and the amount of people that say something or point is amazing and when I turned it on outside the pub the reaction was very good with people saying you could see it coming from a long way away (they are quite bright) and leaving of coarse.
Regards Steve:cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
While I chose not to wear a helmet and don't ride in the dark anywho, I do comend your initiative.
Have you thought about EL wire (Electroluminescent, for those that didn't know)
A few years back I made a fancy hat for a firework party, I had people asking me where they could get one from, saying they had seen me from quite some distance away.
I don't have it anymore as I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, so sold it that night ;)

Here's a picture I found on the net.

image.jpg

Reactions: steve.c

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
The helmet on dragons den was a torch( brand), seem to be a lot of problems with them ie not charging poor finish broken buttons , alought i think they are a great idea, as is steve,c i think il wait for further devlopment of both products :rolleyes:. more info on torch brand at www.kickstart.com
Kickstart.com is a chocolate foot website. Nice though.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I saw a helmet in Liddl yesterday with integrated lights. £10.

Don't know what its like though......

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Kickstart.com goes to http://toe-rific.com/. mmm.

My cousin owns a business doing the electroluminescent stuff, he's probably not the cheapest (grr damn you china, he says) but good customer service.

http://www.loopylights.com/

That's your cousin eh ? I've messing around with el on my bike for years

I run a 3m length on each wheel rim in winter (I commute daily) . Great for side on visibility (and Tron geek factor I'll admit)

The transformers can be overvolted from the 3v of 2 x aaa batteries to 3.7v of a 18650 or cr123 with good effect

Loopy lights give excellent customer service but their prices are WAY above eBay/china

Having said that - they are the only company I've bought a successful red colour from. All the others come out pinky or orangey (it's hard to get red from blue which is what El glows at naturally)