905se Sport - pump?

Gadgeteer1066

Just Joined
May 24, 2009
Hi,

Having just been on to register my new bike, I wandered onto the page giving the specs for my bikes and saw that the extras listed included a pump.

I'm wondering whether I am missing one, as I didn't get one when I picked the bike up. That said, I can't see any obvious place to put it and its not shown on the images.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Mine (2008 model) came with a pump, but it was, shall we say, of a quality not reflected by the rest of the bike, so I suspect that may be why you didn't get one with yours. Maybe I'm being a little harsh though - the guys at Wisper don't hang about when there is any sort of 'issue' and if you should have had a pump, it would have been a decent one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they come in right below here and offer to send you one!

I bought a decent one from Halfords, and threw the Wisper pump away. I was fairly sure that if I had a puncture it wouldn't have been much good at getting anywhere near the desired 60psi.

Rog.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Pump

Yes the pump we used to supply was pretty awful, indeed to call it a pump was a massive exaggeration!

We do have new pumps on the way and of course I will send one out when they arrive.

All the best David

Tonyo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Pump

Yes the pump we used to supply was pretty awful, indeed to call it a pump was a massive exaggeration!

We do have new pumps on the way and of course I will send one out when they arrive.

All the best David
Just repaired my first puncture on my 2008 model 905SE and have to agree that the supplied pump is absolutely useless. I built up my biceps nicely but did not suceed in getting any air into the tyre. Bought a Bikehut pump from Halfords today and pumped the tyre up to 65psi in less than 2 minutes. It is a shame that on a bike costing over £1200 you could not supply a usuable pump.

Other than that still pleased with the Wisper

Tony

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Just repaired my first puncture on my 2008 model 905SE and have to agree that the supplied pump is absolutely useless. I built up my biceps nicely but did not suceed in getting any air into the tyre. Bought a Bikehut pump from Halfords today and pumped the tyre up to 65psi in less than 2 minutes. It is a shame that on a bike costing over £1200 you could not supply a usuable pump.

Other than that still pleased with the Wisper

Tony
In their defence, Tony, they did come clean that this was a cock-up on the delivery from China and that useless pump had 'crept in' without their knowledge. They have offered to supply a decent one on request, but I didn't take advantage of that as I bought (probably) the same replacement you did - a splendid double-action job which was much reduced in price back in January from Halfords.

You might note that Wisper are just about the best suppliers on here in the event of any problem - they positively fall over themselves in their efforts at after-sales service. THAT is what a fair chunk of your £1200 pays for, and in reality if you need it it's beyond price.

Rog.

Gadgeteer1066

Just Joined
May 24, 2009

All the best David
David,
Many thanks for that. It again reinforces my decision to buy Wisper!

Gadgeteer

Tonyo

In their defence, Tony, they did come clean that this was a cock-up on the delivery from China and that useless pump had 'crept in' without their knowledge. They have offered to supply a decent one on request, but I didn't take advantage of that as I bought (probably) the same replacement you did - a splendid double-action job which was much reduced in price back in January from Halfords.

You might note that Wisper are just about the best suppliers on here in the event of any problem - they positively fall over themselves in their efforts at after-sales service. THAT is what a fair chunk of your £1200 pays for, and in reality if you need it it's beyond price.

Rog.
Rog

Please do not get me wrong I am still a fan of Wisper. I did say that I was still very pleased with the Wisper and I do think the bike is worth the money and I am aware that they are well comended on this forum for their after sales service. This was one of the main reasons for buying a Wisper.

I was fortunate in that the tyre went flat at home, had I been out on the bike I would not have been able to fix it as the pump was useless and I would have incurred expense getting the bike home or getting to a bike shop to buy a pump. If Wisper have been aware of this problem for some time - I bought the bike in March 2009 - then they could have been pro active in replacing the pumps on the unsold bikes or at the very least ensuring that new owners were aware that they couldnt rely on the pumps that were fitted. To send bikes out with a useless pump which could easily be rectified for less than 1 or 2% of the overall price of the bike is not the best customer service.

Tony

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I had a puncture this afternoon whilst riding on Watership Down and managed to get 45psi into the front tyre using the Wisper 905city (2008) pump, so I wouldn't say it is useless - just not very good. :)
At least it is small and light, and it got me home.
Of course, I may be lucky and have the only one that works at all, but I certainly don't fancy carrying my stirrup pump everywhere.

Colin

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Rog

Please do not get me wrong I am still a fan of Wisper. I did say that I was still very pleased with the Wisper and I do think the bike is worth the money and I am aware that they are well comended on this forum for their after sales service. This was one of the main reasons for buying a Wisper.

I was fortunate in that the tyre went flat at home, had I been out on the bike I would not have been able to fix it as the pump was useless and I would have incurred expense getting the bike home or getting to a bike shop to buy a pump. If Wisper have been aware of this problem for some time - I bought the bike in March 2009 - then they could have been pro active in replacing the pumps on the unsold bikes or at the very least ensuring that new owners were aware that they couldnt rely on the pumps that were fitted. To send bikes out with a useless pump which could easily be rectified for less than 1 or 2% of the overall price of the bike is not the best customer service.

Tony
Ah, well, maybe that's the engineer in me - one look was enough to convince me. I'd been up to Halfords for a replacement before ever I rode the bike. A healthy respect for Sod's Law is another thing an engineering background engenders...

I guess you're quite right, if they'd known the pump was less than adequate they should perhaps have been a little more pro-active - but seeing how others in the forum have suffered at the hands of manufacturers and retailers, personally I'm happy to let that 'slip' go.

Erm - on the same subject - I've also chucked away the supplied Allen keys in the toolkit. They're pretty damn soft and would not do any socket screw much good if used in earnest. Perhaps one might say 'lovely bike, shame about the accessories'?

Rog.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Customer service

Hi Tony of course you are correct, and I appologise for any inconvenience the worry must have caused you, thankfully you never had to use the pump. We recently stopped supplying a pump all together so we did not put any more people through the same levels of distress. ;)

Happily during my visit to the China Bike exhibition in Shanghai earlier this month Dick Lai our manager in Shanghai found a compact pump that will do the job well. As soon as they are here we would be delighted to send you one.

DB2826d.jpg

Dick tells me you can inflate a tyre up to 60psi in 25 pumps!

Best regards and I hope your time on the Wisper will be fun and trouble free! :)

Best regards David

Last edited:

Tonyo

Hi Tony of course you are correct, and I appologise for any inconvenience the worry must have caused you, thankfully you never had to use the pump. We recently stopped supplying a pump all together so we did not put any more people through the same levels of distress. ;)

Happily during my visit to the China Bike exhibition in Shanghai earlier this month Dick Lai our manager in Shanghai found a compact pump that will do the job well. As soon as they are here we would be delighted to send you one.

View attachment 743

Dick tells me you can inflate a tyre up to 60psi in 25 pumps!

Best regards and I hope your time on the Wisper will be fun and trouble free! :)

Best regards David

Thanks David for the explanation and the offer of a new pump. It is reassuring to know that you guys are on the case!! The new pump sounds impressive - the one I bought is not much bigger than the originally supplied and fits neatly on the bike as a straight replacement. It pumps both on the push and pull stroke and although I didn't count the strokes it pumped the tyre up pretty quickly.

with best wishes

Tony

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Biceps/triceps pump

I have one of the pull cord pumps. It works but......
It’s a great way to pump up your biceps and triceps. It takes ages to get to 60psi from zero and there is definite knack to assuming the position (Oooh no missus!) so that your toes and ball of your foot stay on the pump. This probably takes 250 pulls to reach 60 psi!
Conal

HENIPE

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Pump?? I bought a 906 Alpino 18 months ago, and it did NOT come with a pump!! So I use a "stirrup" pump in my garage. I am still looking for a pump to carry with me that will fit on the bike connectors.
Al

Advertisers