power assist?

nanny ogg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2014
Hi this is my first time on this site, I own a pedelec Giant Twist bike but was ill last year, after having chemo the bike is no longer enough help for me, I live in hilly Derbyshire. Does anyone have any opinions of the claud butler glide 2 with throttle assist, or is there another make more suitable . Thanks really appreciate help with this Nanny ogg

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Pop to 50cycles in loughborough and try a mid drive. Still the same power, but you get to put in through your gears.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Claud Butler will probably be a little more powerful than the Twist, but there are far more powerful alternatives.

The Woosh Big Bear in step-through or crossbar models uses the very powerful BPM hub motor, as does the Kudos Tornado. Both those are very strong hill climbers compared to the Giant Twist.

I'm sure others will have more alternatives, but it's best to avoid buying without a test ride unless you have trustworthy recommendations from several users.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi this is my first time on this site, I own a pedelec Giant Twist bike but was ill last year, after having chemo the bike is no longer enough help for me, I live in hilly Derbyshire. Does anyone have any opinions of the claud butler glide 2 with throttle assist, or is there another make more suitable . Thanks really appreciate help with this Nanny ogg
Forget Kakhoffs. They won't be suitable for what you want. They don't have throttles, and what's worse, when your legs are tired, you can't get enough power out of them.

The Woosh Big Bear LS will be perfect for what you want. It has a much more powerful motor than your bike plus a big battery to keep it going longer, and it's very comfortable. It has an independent throttle so that you can go without pedalling. It's also very low price.

Some of us reviewed it at the recent Redbridge event.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-reviews/group-review-woosh-big-bear-ls/

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
I was looking at the throttle on a bike in 50cycles this month. I was quite jealous. It was a big soft rubber grip of typical ergonomic shape. All their controls were well finished. Their prices are also outstanding, which is why I didn't bother trying one. It would be a good way to benchmark a mid drive bike though.

I have a bpm as my daily. At legal power levels it fails to get up quite a few hills, and any sort of embankment is a no no. It's better than smaller motored 250w bikes I have been side by side with, but it's not a big enough upgrade to make any real difference. I have run at 15 amps (44v) but it still won't do most hills satisfactorily. This is in a county almost flat compared to derby. Home of the peak district.

How much more power do you need nanny? Perhaps your bike can be tweeked, or the bpm might suit you. I feel the best legal climber will something mid-drive though, It's just physics.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was looking at the throttle on a bike in 50cycles this month.

I have a bpm as my daily. At legal power levels it fails to get up quite a few hills, and any sort of embankment is a no no. It's better than smaller motored 250w bikes I have been side by side with, but it's not a big enough upgrade to make any real difference.

I feel the best legal climber will something mid-drive though, It's just physics.
The throttle on the Kalkhoffs is only a walk-alongside one, active at walking speeds only in accordance with EU law, so of no use to nanny ogg. 50cycles Jarifa e-bikes are also pedelec only.

The BPM motor is not a minor upgrade against the Giant Twist, the latter being one of the lower powered e-bikes of recent years. I'm sure nanny ogg will find the BPM very different.

As for the mid-drives, most like the Kalkhoffs are pedelec demanding a fair proportion of effort from the rider via a torque sensor. Getting more power is by inputting more rider effort, probably not suitable in this instance.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have a bpm as my daily. At legal power levels it fails to get up quite a few hills, and any sort of embankment is a no no.
Assuming you're talking about EN15194 compliance, as UK law is 200w, there is no power limit. EN15194 only requires that you use a 250w motor. There's no actual power limit for it. A BPM climbs pretty well at 30 amps. You need to give it a bit more current. Even the Woosh Big Bear has 20 amps, which is more than what you have. If your motor is the "250w" one or 350w, 22 amps is the sweet spot.

Reactions: Alan Quay

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Thanks chaps.
I'm using 15amps but have an s12s ready to go on. All parceled up with 48v within a frame bag. I don't seem to be getting fitted though. The power switch has actually broken and been replaced before it's made it on the bike lol

As soon as it is done, I would be able to offer a go on it, as I'm not all that far off route if the op was to visit loughborough.

Advertisers