new member needs assistance

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Could you confirm that. Look at the pattern of the pins. The thin ones are in a "X" shape. They're more commonly in a ring.
Im not sure now u say that, I cant see the pics posted by derf enlarged on my tablet for some reason they are greyed out,i thought it was a 3 pin in a triangle formation which looks like my 8fun motor connection. Anyway ill upload some pics in a bit so u can see for yourself, as u may be able to tell better than me as I know next to nothing aboutvthese things butbim learning slowly thanks to everyones help☺

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
apologies, really don't mean to hijack this genuinely interesting post (and feel free to say if I am), but that's a very useful link flecc, have you by any chance seen this connector (it's on a front hubmotor d8veh originally located at chainreactioncycles)?
I don't know that one Derf, but if you search the vast range of connectors at Farnell you may find it, They seem to have most of the oddball ones.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Here is the pic of battery with top off, couldnt easily get battery out so I left it, dimensions of the metal part of case is 270mmx 150mmx70mm,think thats all the pics requested, if ive missed anything apologies DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
The alien kit was bought for my wifes dawes discovery hybrid but after using it yesterday she doesnt like the feel of it now the kit is on. I had a go and I have to agree with her, the powabyke feels much better and much quicker( although its only a few mph). So I have another brand new powabyke x6 but it hasnt got the front wheel/ motor, would the 8 fun motor off the alien kit be ok? (they have different connection types though), or would I need the actual powabyke one?Would it go as quick as my one? I presume the controller on the wifes would be the same as in mine allowing 22mph, i apologise in advance if im asking stupid questions

D

Deleted member 4366

The cell packs I have are 300 x 145 x 30mm, so it looks like we're out on length. I have the aluminium tubes, but they're different to yours, so won't fit in your rack and neither will your ends fit. This is what I have:

Your Alien motor is a three phase brushless sensorless one. What connector do you have on your Powabyke. If it's three big pins and a load of little ones, the Alien motor won't work on it directly, you'll need a new sensorless controller. If only three pins, it'll be OK.

Different motors go at different speeds. You can make them go as fast as you want by changing the voltage. Double the voltage double the speed. How fast you go on the road depends on your weight and how much power you put through the motor. They can handle about 22 mph continuous on the flat - more in short bursts.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
The cell packs I have are 300 x 145 x 30mm, so it looks like we're out on length. I have the aluminium tubes, but they're different to yours, so won't fit in your rack and neither will your ends fit. This is what I have:

Your Alien motor is a three phase brushless sensorless one. What connector do you have on your Powabyke. If it's three big pins and a load of little ones, the Alien motor won't work on it directly, you'll need a new sensorless controller. If only three pins, it'll be OK.

Different motors go at different speeds. You can make them go as fast as you want by changing the voltage. Double the voltage double the speed. How fast you go on the road depends on your weight and how much power you put through the motor. They can handle about 22 mph continuous on the flat - more in short bursts.
Thanks for trying with the battery anyway and all the advice, the powabyke connection is as u said, 3 pin and a lot of little ones, ive just found a step through powabyke x6 for £300 which is basically new with brand new 8ahb battery, so im thinking I might get that and then id have the other one for spares or switch wheels if the wife doesnt like the stepthrough frame, what does everyone think?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
That price tells the story Kevin, they were originally much more.

Their main problems began at the outset, it was their first modern style lithium battery e-bike but suffered in two ways. The first was that it continued to use the old brush motor that the SLA bikes used, robust but very noisy and somewhat slow though a good climber. Second was that the bottle battery isn't very stylish and was only 6 Ah, well below what the market wanted.

That was then made worse when a number of those so-called 6 Ah batteries were found to only have 4.5 ah cells while still sold as 6 Ah, which was unforgiveable.

Belatedly the motor was changed to a more modern brushless one which no doubt you have, but the bike is still disadvantaged by short range from that small battery.

A history like that blights any product and makes recommendation risky.
Other than the battery issue do u like them flecc? Not sure if u have ever tested one or not, do u think its worth the £425 I paid? Ive never tested any other ebikes apart from the alien kit which is sloooow and sluggish compared to the powabyke, i have noticed they have brought a mk3 out no with 10ah battery which isnt big enough for me either, although I would havethought it was until I got one and 10 miles just flies by, its addictive this e biking like fishing, i cant leave that alone either

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Other than the battery issue do u like them flecc? Not sure if u have ever tested one or not, do u think its worth the £425 I paid? Ive never tested any other ebikes apart from the alien kit which is sloooow and sluggish compared to the powabyke, i have noticed they have brought a mk3 out no with 10ah battery which isnt big enough for me either, although I would havethought it was until I got one and 10 miles just flies by, its addictive this e biking like fishing, i cant leave that alone either
I think it's very good buy at that price. There's nothing wrong with it at all now, the disadvantages being historic and not affecting your one, apart from your small battery. In all other respects it's a good bike which many like, and the derestriction is an advantage. It's the only time of heard of one with this top assist speed, they are usually strictly controlled to 15 mph.

If yours was restricted the range would substantially increase, the assistance above 15 mph saps lots of current in overcoming wind resistance.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
I think it's very good buy at that price. There's nothing wrong with it at all now, the disadvantages being historic and not affecting your one, apart from your small battery. In all other respects it's a good bike which many like, and the derestriction is an advantage. It's the only time of heard of one with this top assist speed, they are usually strictly controlled to 15 mph.

If yours was restricted the range would substantially increase, the assistance above 15 mph saps lots of current in overcoming wind resistance.
Thanks mate, I really like it, not sure I would if it was restricted as I cycle around 20mph on the flat on my carrerra subway but obviously I arrive a mass of sweat but on the powabyke im sometimes still cold! The big downside being the price for more batteries, £299 for 6ah(4.5), £399 for 8 ah, i think im going to save for a 20 ah 36v battery and somehow fit it on a rackor seatpost, should get 30 miles ish from that I think, just out of interest what bike bikes do u ride flecc?is there a particular bike (20mph+)on a budget u would recommend? Or should I buy the xbyke on ebay for £300? I was originally planning to buy a kit second hand on ebay for 300 max but then saw the powabyke, then bought alien kit, now buying another for wife and more batteries, gotta slow down or ill have to remortgage

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A 36 volt 20Ah battery is a bit on the heavy side for carrier mounting, something you'll notice most when of the bike and wheeling it etc, but it can affect the handling under way as well. You should get far more than 30 miles from that.

The ebay X byke is likely to be a restricted one, so you'd need out find out how to derestrict it. Also it could be one of the first generation models with the old brush motor, and you wouldn't be happy with that in comparison. You wouldn't be able to derestrict it in the same way either.

Regarding what I ride and what I'd buy next, that's not the best way for you to choose. E-bikes are very personal since they vary greatly and one that's perfect for some is horrible for others. It's always best to try out a selection of types and choose from those that best suit you, your needs and preferences. The best e-bike in the world is the one that does your job and that you enjoy riding.

D

Deleted member 4366

A 36 volt 20Ah battery is a bit on the heavy side for carrier mounting, something you'll notice most when of the bike and wheeling it etc, but it can affect the handling under way as well. You should get far more than 30 miles from that.
A 20aH battery is OK as long as you get it as low as possible and as close to the seat-post as possible. Saneagle has a 30aH battery behind his seat, and his bike rides like a dream.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh I forgot to ask, do ebikes work ok in the rain? I presune so but thought I better check
Not always, throttles and some other handlebar units can be vulnerable, and also poorly sealed connectors. The way a cable feeds into a hub motor or controller box can also be a problem if it's approach is from the top, draining rain water into where it's not wanted.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014

The ebay X byke is likely to be a restricted one, so you'd need out find out how to derestrict it. Also it could be one of the first generation models with the old brush motor, and you wouldn't be happy with that in comparison. You wouldn't be able to derestrict it in the same way either.

Regarding what I ride and what I'd buy next, that's not the best way for you to choose. E-bikes are very personal since they vary greatly and one that's perfect for some is horrible for others. It's always best to try out a selection of types and choose from those that best suit you, your needs and preferences. The best e-bike in the world is the one that does your job and that you enjoy riding.
Hi flecc, yeah I didnt think of the weight of it, maybe ill have to get a 12ah or similar, the xbyke on ebay is a mk2, ifni get it i could change the controller to one that would allow 20+mph I presume?assuming its restricted of course

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Not always, throttles and some other handlebar units can be vulnerable, and also poorly sealed connectors. The way a cable feeds into a hub motor or controller box can also be a problem if it's approach is from the top, draining rain water into where it's not wanted.
.oh I didnt expect that, would they be broken by watter getting in? Or just not work until dry?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
A 20aH battery is OK as long as you get it as low as possible and as close to the seat-post as possible. Saneagle has a 30aH battery behind his seat, and his bike rides like a dream.

Thanks mate, that looks good, what sort of range would u get from a 30 ah?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
oh I didnt expect that, would they be broken by water getting in? Or just not work until dry?
Not usually broken, just not working until dried out. However, that can take a long time once water gets into an almost closed space like a controller box or twistgrip throttle housing, and water getting into wiring connectors can cause corrosion.

Not a big headache though, most modern e-bikes have quite good damp proofing, but some are better than others.