Cyclotricity Stealth

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I ordered the 250w stealth with LCD. (Lower power for work lol)
I do have a 1000w ebike which is too heavy.
When I get up to speed via the motor I can turn off and not have too much trouble but I wouldn't want to lose power while I'm out on a commute with the 500 watt + Stealth.
My Trek 7.5FX was taken in yesterday for a conversion with a 250 watt and that will be fine pedaling with the extra weight without power if ever it happens.
I'd actually tried a Trek 7.3FX with conversion and took it for a test ride without the power on and it was OK.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Cyclotricity have sent me a new gear cable amongst other things so yesterday I was fitting it but I have bad arthritis and it was killing me kneeling on the floor. I got my bike repair stand out and I could hardly lift the bugger up but when I eventually did, it nearly killed my stand because of the weight :)
I've had to go to Halfords and buy two brackets which I've now fitted to the side of my garage so they will hold my bike up higher to work on :)

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I wouldn't take a chance unless I could see the bottom fitting.
Cyclotricity will sell you one but it will obviously be dearer.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to use the same holder and swap batteries, the answer is no, because it's a sideways mounting one with a different connector. If you want to replace the whole lot, it should be alright.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I've got to be honest so here goes:

On the 2nd day I got 3 punctures 3 days on the trot and had to replace the faulty tyres and then:
Broke chain - I was sent a new one
Front shock seized - I was sent a new one
Back brakes nearly killed me - I was sent a new one
New back brake failed - I went and bought some Avid BB7's
Arrived at work one day with 5 broken rear spokes so had to phone the wife to pick me up - I was sent a new back wheel
Pedal assist stopped working - It was the magnet on the left pedal that had become very loose so it's now held in place with an elastic band.
Latest problem two weeks ago - my left pedal arm fell off and I have to carry a socket around with me to tighten it up at least 3 times per 5 mile commute.
The bottom bracket is useless and the new parts came today.

Tomorrow I'm seeing about buying a Trek 7.5 and having the electric bits put on that and the bike will be taken to the incinerator.

I'm not a happy man.
in case it helps, I have had a woosh santa ana for about three hundred miles, had to replace the front disc brake (zoom mechanical nearly killed me), crank arms kept going loose on crank, rear spokes keep going loose (that really IS mysterious, I've tightened and trued the wheel a few times), everything else flimsy (front mudguard fell off several times until I attached double bolt, ditto front light). contact between controller and battery separated. Until this I experienced all bikes I've had as essentially unbreakable, even cheap crap was usually reliable.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
in case it helps, I have had a woosh santa ana for about three hundred miles, had to replace the front disc brake (zoom mechanical nearly killed me), crank arms kept going loose on crank, rear spokes keep going loose (that really IS mysterious, I've tightened and trued the wheel a few times), everything else flimsy (front mudguard fell off several times until I attached double bolt, ditto front light). contact between controller and battery separated. Until this I experienced all bikes I've had as essentially unbreakable, even cheap crap was usually reliable.
However all the replacement parts sent were new models and not the same and all have been OK (except the brakes).
I have to believe the Manager when he says they haven't had anybody else complain about the brakes so either I'm unlucky or I'm brake heavy.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cheap crap usually does not have stainless bolts and nuts, the rust keep the bolts tight after a few weeks. That's a good idea to double bolt. I use threadlock to threadlock anything that can be loosened by vibration. You ride a lot faster assisted, so there are more vibrations.
For the cranks, seat them with a rubber mallet before installing the bolts.
I would also wedge that rear battery to the rack and threadlock the rack bolts. Rattling from uneven road surface can damage the leaf spring contacts on the battery output socket.

dread

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2014
Received some new forks in the post today from cyclotricity.. Excellent service. These are uprated too with lockout and preload adjustable. Gonna fit on weekend when I have time but seem a whole lot better quality than the original one. Will keep u updated

Last edited:

Pluto88888

Sep 13, 2014
Wow Just finished building my stealth bike today been out for 2 hours riding it.
Amazing bike love the weight much better than my 1000w ebike which weighs
around 27kg.

Going to order another spare battery of cyclotricity next month.

dread

Jul 11, 2014
From both... Initially couple spares I had ordered and something on bike was not fitted correctly. EBIKES came out and delivered the parts and set up bike as should have been.. Travelled nearly 2hrs...then after that cyclotricity have been dealing with my issues regarding suspension... Might i add excellent service! petre from cyclotricity has been dealing with my issues and its good to see companies going that bit further

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks - I live on the outskirts of stoke so they are very close! I'm still not sure about buying a specific ebike or having my trek converted but your review has really helped give me confidence that they know what they are doing! I will probably try and call in on Monday.

dread

Jul 11, 2014
just fitted the replacement forks...100% better than the stock ones i had fitted!!! just need to purchase a headset spacer now :p very pleased with cyclotricity's service

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Thanks - I live on the outskirts of stoke so they are very close! I'm still not sure about buying a specific ebike or having my trek converted but your review has really helped give me confidence that they know what they are doing! I will probably try and call in on Monday.
I'm sorry, I didn't get a notification for your replies.

Cyclotricity have given me the excellent customer service but both eBike Shed and Electric Bike Conversions (in Fenton) have both carried out repairs.

I now have a Trek 7.5FX Cyclotricity conversion that is absolutely superb and done by Electric Bike Conversions. This will be the bike I use every day and I'll pull the Stealth out if I have problems or a very bad winters day or similar.
Since you live close enough you're welcome to come down and have a go on my bikes but they are both setup for a dwarf (5' 6").
trek75conversion1.jpg trek75conversion2.jpg

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
And just to add I rode this bike for 2 months before the conversion and it was every bit as good as my Forme Longcliffe v3 road bike but I felt safer with the straight handlebars. The motor & battery haven't added that much weight and one day I decided to turn the electric off to see how I cope and I didn't notice much difference unlike my 500 watt Stealth. To be honest I don't bother with the pedal assist, I have it on zero for 90% of my ride and just give a bit of throttle when I come to a bank and I want a bit of help. I've also got it set to 20 mph.