Haibike SL29 pedals spinning no chain movement

Tim Fry

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2014
Anyone had a issue the Bosch drive system, I've recently (around 10 times in the last 2 weeks) lost all chain movement, the pedals just spin freely when riding (usually coasting along just before). You have to spin the pedals for about 5-10 seconds and it engages again.
The guys at mailorderbikes in Shoreham have been superb, swapped over all my parts on my bike to a spare frame and drive they had while they see if they can get the other repaired/replaced by Haibike. We suspect the internal drive is somehow not engaging or slipping. Any ideas? Thanks.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Tim,

Correct about the internal drive not engaging. This is not common, but can occur, it should not happen on a new bike. Get it sorted as it will only get more prominent.

Its nothing to do with Haibike. The dealer you bought it from will return the motor to Bosch for replacement to get you on your way as quickly as possible.

There is no quick fix for this, it will have to go back.

Regards
Martin

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Tim

Happened to mine about 6 weeks ago off road on the IOW. I was miles from anywhere. My solution at the time was to hit the crank with a brick.

Not a reccomended method but I cannot physically walk many miles home pushing a bike. The shock had it working again and it has not happened since.

I did contact Martin after the event, he sold me the bike. He suggested that it would probably have to go back to Germany.

I use the bike for my everyday commute so without a loan bike or motor that option is not possible and not acceptable.

Hopefully your dealer will get it sorted quickly.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SRS, you certainly seem up against it of late. What with one bike being stolen, and now this. :(

I'd offer you the BH, but it would prove just as un reliable as the Bosch motor! :D

Martin comes across as being one of the good guys, and I'd like to think that he must be able to offer you a courtesy/demo bike whilst the repair is carried out?

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
Thanks for the info chaps. Yep due to the time scales I think a loan bike is really useful if you can.
These Generation 2 Bosch systems which seem to be coming out, do folks think they're much better?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, thanks. Things can sometimes be a little trying.

Martin may well lend me something. To be fair, I did not mention the requirement for some sort of loan at the time.

I left it that I would get back to him should it happen again. In my case, it has not.

I always thought worse case scenario would be that the motor would fail to work for one reason or another. No so with 1st Gen Bosch system, all drive can be lost.

From what I gather, Bosch do not wish or expect their dealers to service these units down to the very last nut and bolt.
But instead, return them back to Germany.
This is not acceptable to me when with the right backup any dealer could fully repair the unit.

Anyway, I shall not loose any sleep over it.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Tim

Are you the guy I spoke to on the seafront cycle lane in Hove the other month?

Think a puncture was the order of the day. I was heading west on my RC29.

Last edited:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Bosch haven't got any spare motors for the classic model at present believe it or not! Awaiting them in and they have varied time from a week to total of three and now back to possibly 2 weeks..... :(

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
These Generation 2 Bosch systems which seem to be coming out, do folks think they're much better?
I can't say they are, it was some months between the Grace going and the Delite arriving so could not compare other than memory, and that's not to be trusted.

However, last week I rode RobF's AVE MH with the older motor and thought it better. Certainly quieter but it hasn't done the miles mine has & with having smaller wheels not a direct comparison on the hill climbing. I don't know if there is any weight saving between the motors & batteries, that may be an advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
SRS, yep you got it. I was covered in green slime at the time on the seafront, teach me for trying to jump up large curbs. Remember you telling me your rather unfortunate theft situation.

I'm hoping it's resolved by the end of the month. The shop are hiring me 4 other Haibikes (one of which I'm currently riding). 5 of us are cycling the South Downs way weekend on the 2nd August. Going to do a bit of a write up on electric off road bikes after.
If anyone wants to joins at any stage along the route welcome to.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
SRS, yep you got it. I was covered in green slime at the time on the seafront, teach me for trying to jump up large curbs. Remember you telling me your rather unfortunate theft situation.

I'm hoping it's resolved by the end of the month. The shop are hiring me 4 other Haibikes (one of which I'm currently riding). 5 of us are cycling the South Downs way weekend on the 2nd August. Going to do a bit of a write up on electric off road bikes after.
If anyone wants to joins at any stage along the route welcome to.
I've done the South Downs Way in pieces in the past on a regular bike. Some big battery sapping climbs.
How do you plan to mae the batteries last? Not sure a midway charge would suffice.

If I am around, it would be a great trip.

Tim Fry

Apr 17, 2014
Do it over 2 days to make it more enjoyable.
Head down Fri night, start Winchester in the morn. Stop around 30 miles for recharge at a pub, back home sat night in bton then second leg Sunday which should last one charge just about.

Mike Thefern

Just Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Anyone had a issue the Bosch drive system, I've recently (around 10 times in the last 2 weeks) lost all chain movement, the pedals just spin freely when riding (usually coasting along just before). You have to spin the pedals for about 5-10 seconds and it engages again.
The guys at mailorderbikes in Shoreham have been superb, swapped over all my parts on my bike to a spare frame and drive they had while they see if they can get the other repaired/replaced by Haibike. We suspect the internal drive is somehow not engaging or slipping. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi Tim
Same happened to me- pedals just spin round, no drive. Tried one of the suggestions - gave the crank sharp tap at pivot end with heavy hammer and it did the trick. Now works perfectly ( but for how long?)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Just spotted this thread. I hadn't realised there is potential issue with the freewheel in the motor.

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
I had a similar issue with my Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo -- the dealer here just replaced the whole motor and lent me a similar bike while they did it. I do know that he was not given any information by Kalkhoff Germany as to what had failed -- they just supplied a new motor so I suspect they have had the problem before!!

Great after sales service though - I am impressed

Advertisers