E-bike for ill person

Martin Thompson

Just Joined
Sep 20, 2014
Greetings all!

I have (what I imagine to be) a slightly unusual requirement...

I have been happily commuting to work (about 2 miles each way, fairly flat) for the last 20 year, come rain, shine or snow.

In the last year I have been diagnosed with a medical condition which limits my exercise significantly. My exercise limits are that I have to keep my heart rate to 90 bpm or below (which gets me to about 5mph on the flat on a good day, and 3mph on a bad day!). Up any kind of incline, I've been overtaken by walkers! And my time is limited to 20-30 mins per day.

Hence I've had to get a car and drive to work :(

It now occurs to me that if I get an e-bike it can "take up the slack" for me. So what I feel I need is :

* variable assistance - so I can control the amount of assist I get, to keep my heart rate in the right range. I can't have one which will give me assistance "proportional to my pedalling", as it might not be "right" in calculating how much assist I need and my regime is very inflexible to that.
* ability to be drive me along without any pedalling (once I've reached my limit for the day!) - I imagine that counts anything out which comes from the continent due to EU regs?
* enough assistance to get me up the hills at a reasonable rate (so as not to be a liability to traffic, which I can be at my usual pace!)
* 25 miles range would get me to work and back for a week without needing a charge, so should be plenty if I charge most nights.

Physically I'm 5'11" and 12 stone, if that helps rule anything in or out!

It would also be nice to not be too heavy, and not too expensive (£1000ish would be what I'd have to spend on my next car). And I wonder if a folding bike might be useful as I can then stick it in the car when we go places and use it like a mobility scooter!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Martin

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have a severly limited ability to pedal and live somewhere hilly so I can strongly recommend a Tonaro crank drive or similar, if it doesn't have a throttle (optional) it will still work for you as once you have turned the pedals a full rotation or so the motor kicks in and you can if you wish turn the pedals with zero force to maintain full throttle, being a crank drive it will climb any hill you are likely to encounter by shifting to low and just let it pull you up.
They require you to get into the habit of tapping the brake before you shift gear as it cuts the motor other wise it is like trying to shift under heavy load.

It also allows you to assist to any level you wish if you want to get exercise, or not at all other than starting of the line even if you don't have a throttle.
And for bonus points it is a legal bike :)

I fitted a larger rear sprocket to my Esprit today and to test it "pedalled" up a 13% grade turning the pedals at about 4 rpm :)

Woosh have a crank drive folder but it is only a 3 speed, may not be enough depending on your hills?

EDIT, Take any range specification with a huge grain of salt as they usually include a lot of pedalling, when I could put a similar effort in as you describe I would only have the first led off (of 5 I think) after 16 km of fairly hilly riding.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Most bikes advertised around this forum will achieve your specific requirements and many have the throttles you want.
Comparing the watts, volts and amp hours of each specification is the best way to determine relative ranges, rather than manufacturer claims.
Essential to your decision, I would say, is to find a local supplier who can demonstrate the bike(s) to you, and allow you to try for yourself, preferably in the hills (and away from a sales pitch).
Good luck with your search.

Reactions: EddiePJ

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Like they said^^^ ☺

Unfortunately, most ebikes tend to be fairly heavy so, if weight is important, you definitely should try a few before taking the plunge

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Bob's advice above is very good, I just want to add that if you have hills test the bike on the same hills, I have found hub bikes are good for most terrain but as hills get steeper they need a certain level of rider input, if you can't maintain that level they will stall or you will aggravate your condition by trying to keep them operating in the required speed range, been there done that :(

That was the main reason for the crank drive and Tonaro recommendation in particular, I have 5 e-bikes/trikes I can currently ride one pretty much any where (on a good day), the others require being taken to less steep enviroments to use, they are all hub motors and were all fine when I was healthier.
I have tested one of the more powerful legal hubs the Ezee and it has the same issue once a hill passes a certain gradient, in less steep terrain you could use one as a low speed motor bike and never pedal unless you wished to.
It will really depend on what kind of terrain the usage will be.

Test riding is a real good idea, and fun :)

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum, the best place get good unbiased advice on al things to do with electric bikes.

Now for some biased advice, the eZee Sprint Primo GTS would be quite capable of doing what you want and at £795 they are well within budget.

You can find them on our website here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-sprint-primo.html
Sprint Primo GTS.jpg

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Martin, as always go and try as many e-bikes as you can, I find my folder just great, last week took it up with me in the boot of the car to my daughters in Macclesfield, where they live most roads are either up or down hill.
But the little folder coped with them all.
Try them and have some fun.
Bob.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Kind of semi related to the thread :)
This mornings ride, bike is stock other than a 20 tooth sprocket on the hub and panniers lights etc.
Zero pedal power.
I bailed 2/3 the way up the last slope (where the last photo was taken) not due to loss of power but due not being able to keep the front wheel on the ground :) When healthier I will have another go as it will require some agility to keep the wheel down.
The bike climbed well before but the gearing change has transformed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Kind of semi related to the thread :)
This mornings ride, bike is stock other than a 20 tooth sprocket on the hub and panniers lights etc.
Zero pedal power.
I bailed 2/3 the way up the last slope (where the last photo was taken) not due to loss of power but due not being able to keep the front wheel on the ground :) When healthier I will have another go as it will require some agility to keep the wheel down.
The bike climbed well before but the gearing change has transformed it.

Loving the pictures Geebee I want to ride there. Which is the nearest train station from this place ? It can't be that far from where I live in London please check on this for me.
NB if no available train services I would be more than willing to take the coach.

MS.

C

Cyclezee

Loving the pictures Geebee I want to ride there. Which is the nearest train station from this place ? It can't be that far from where I live in London please check on this for me.
NB if no available train services I would be more than willing to take the coach.

MS.
Surprisingly there doesn't seem to a coach or train service from London to Australia:(

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Perhaps our Kudos Secret bike,it weighs only 18 kilos,it has a throttle,will give 15 miles range under throttle alone or 25 miles under pedal assist.
I am 17 stone and 6ft,I ride it up very steep hills with some pedal assist but it will carry you along the flat or gentle inclines on throttle alone.
The handlebars and frame folds if you choose to carry it in the car.
Priced at £725.00,it is available for testing at some go our dealers around the UK.
Hope thar helps
KudosDave

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Surprisingly there doesn't seem to a coach or train service from London to Australia:(
Hello I am also surprised that you EddiePJ and Kinninvie really expected me to take a train or bus to Australia.:D
Geebee is being cleaver for not getting back to me. Lol

MS.

C

Cyclezee

Hello I am also surprised that you EddiePJ and Kinninvie really expected me to take a train or bus to Australia.:D
Geebee is being cleaver for not getting back to me. Lol

MS.
No, I reckon Geebee is probably asleep in bed right now, for some strange reason that is beyond my comprehension, our antipodean cousins seem to be a nocturnal nation:confused:

Martin Thompson

Just Joined
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks all for the replies so far - I've got the chance to borrow a hub-drive bike for a while, so that will allow me to get some kind of baseline on the terrain I'l be travelling. Then I can try out a bunch of others without the time pressure of having to "buy one soon" :)Martin