Big Bear or Cadence

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Zephyr-B uses the same 6/7/8 speed standard chain that gets fitted into 8 out of 10 bikes, same on your Zehyr CDN. I guess you need 8 more links than the 114 or 116 standard length to accommodate 52T against the standard 44T chainring but anything between 120 to 126 would work.
The front suspension on the Zephyr-B is much better than on the Big Bear. The preload adjust is useful. Only take a minute or so to set it to give about the same response as my Rockshox. The rear suspension works OK. The suspension on the B is so much better than on the CDN. You can actually hop small kerbs and nothing rattles.
Range issue: the B comes with a beautifully made aluminium cased battery. It's so light that I wondered what was inside, the label just says Samsung besides some random technical bits. I suspect it just means Samsung cells. It says 36V 10AH 360WH on the label. I expect the average pedaller to get 30 miles out of it. So for longer trips, you may want to get a second battery. To take the battery out, you fold the bike in half, insert key, turn key to unlock and the silver case battery actually glides out with virtually no effort at all. The charging socket is next to the battery lock, on the underside. The controller is also hidden inside the frame, so well away from rain.
The Zephyr-B feels like somewhere between the Big Bear and a German made bike, unfortunately still nearer to the Big Bear.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b
Battery:

Last edited:
Reactions: GloveMakingMan

garyten

Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2014
"A tad slower than the Big Bear but the 52T chain ring makes leisure riding much more pleasant"

Sorry do you mind explaining, Slower? as in to pedal ?, or from the electric motor.

I assume it has Cassette gears on the rear, it should help to give plenty of gearing choices.

That rear suspension looks very elaborate, with all them joints,( i counted 5 points) i hope it stands up to water and winter, it could start to clatter as the "bushes" or whatever, begin to wear.

All that i said above, however. i really like the design overall, and its really modern, which in comparison to my Big Bear, when viewed side by side, the big bear looks like something built from the Lada factory of the 80's Soviet era, although they (lada) were a tough old car.

I apologise to any Lada enthusiasts, im not trying to put them down, im just comparing it to the simple and basic ruggedness of the design.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I got 20mph out of the Zephyr-B, about 21-22mph out of the Big Bear. It was a bit windy last Saturday.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I got 20mph out of the Zephyr-B, about 21-22mph out of the Big Bear. It was a bit windy last Saturday.
So,faster than a Lada then?.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I found crank drives give you speed and balanced weight, BPM hubs give you comfortable and massive torque around 10-15mph where most of the riding is done. Until now, I like my BBS01 best. I am not so sure now because 20mph is fast enough for me and the Zephyr-B removes the weight distribution issue from the Big Bear. The last issue for me is the quietness of the BBS01 in comparison to the BPM motor before I change my bike.

Last edited:

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Before i decide which bike to upgrade to, if any..... i've ordered a pair of Schwalbe Big Apples and a new Shimano Roller Brake with heat fins for my CDN. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

Binesh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2016
Woosh zephyr-b has arrived. It's the best bike from Woosh so far.
Front wheel has QR and the bike is folding. Front brake has 180mm rotor, rear 160mm rotor, both sensored and hydraulic. Nice weight balance with in-frame battery with lock. Puncture resist wide road tyres. King Meter LCD, remote lockout at the front suspension.

It's possibly the lightest BPM bike on the market right now.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b

Very neat torque arms.

nice mudguard:
Trex, Are you able to wheel this bike after its folded? Say for example I am changing underground train I would prefer to wheel rather to carry

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
No. The wheels on all the 2-fold bikes won't stay parallel when folded.
To wheel the bike, you need both wheels parallel and free to move forward and backward.
This means that the design needs to lift the rear wheel from the ground because the chain mechanism will stop it from moving backward. This is usually done by fitting a set of rollers to the rack or to the rear mudguard.
Among e-folders, only the Gallego can do that.

Reactions: Binesh

Binesh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2016
No. The wheels on all the 2-fold bikes won't stay parallel when folded.
To wheel the bike, you need both wheels parallel and free to move forward and backward.
This means that the design needs to lift the rear wheel from the ground because the chain mechanism will stop it from moving backward. This is usually done by fitting a set of rollers to the rack or to the rear mudguard.
Among e-folders, only the Gallego can do that.
Trex, I own a Gallego and the one of the main reason I purchased was for the rack wheels. I like the zephyr as it has 26 inch wheel and both wheel suspension. Lifting the bike when its folded is not practically possible for longterm use. Any possibility to put rack wheel or any other way to wheel when folded?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would choose the Zephyr-B for its well balanced weight distribution, comfort and power. Riding it is like driving a BMW. It's very good in the woods and superb on rough terrains etc.
Yes, it's foldable, but just.
I would certainly not take it in the underground, or carry it inside the car, folded or not.

Reactions: Binesh