How to avoid Roadrage...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A bad cyclist can give a car some nasty dents.
OTOH a bad driver.... Broke my arm and totalled my bike. However details are subjudicie

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
While I want cyclists to have lights at night and generally be responsible on the roads, I tend to be tolerant of them even when they don't conform. As self-propelled people, I think of them as being another form of pedestrian, and they don't have lights and also frequently jay walk.
That's actually a good way to look at it and I might learn from that.

Reactions: flecc

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Well bike needs £3,000 of parts before labour. I think it is a write off. But did my first 8 miles on a recumbent today. Now thinking how to use the remains of my BH. To make a electric recumbent .
Thanks for your sympathy.

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
My rides are mainly leisure only and I don't encounter bad driving behaviour too often, I do ride defensively though obey the rules and don't run red lights or hop on and off pavement as I see some riders annoyingly do.
My girlfriend is a very competent rider who comutes to work 2/3 days a week, she too rides in a proper manner kitted out with lights helmet and day glo gillet.Unfortunatley she has experienced quite alot of abuse,
eg. youths who opened a door on her as they overtook,cars sitting close behind reving engines as she passes parked cars possibly thinking it will hurry her along so they can pass. Worst one which really shook her up was going under a railway bridge and having an ambulance close behind switch on the sirens, as it was a narrow road with no pavement she had no alternative but to keep going 100m till road widened and he went past.
Interestingly when we are cycling together she has no problems,I think being a woman makes them a soft target for bad on road behavior.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
My rides are mainly leisure only and I don't encounter bad driving behaviour too often, I do ride defensively though obey the rules and don't run red lights or hop on and off pavement as I see some riders annoyingly do.
My girlfriend is a very competent rider who comutes to work 2/3 days a week, she too rides in a proper manner kitted out with lights helmet and day glo gillet.Unfortunatley she has experienced quite alot of abuse,
eg. youths who opened a door on her as they overtook,cars sitting close behind reving engines as she passes parked cars possibly thinking it will hurry her along so they can pass. Worst one which really shook her up was going under a railway bridge and having an ambulance close behind switch on the sirens, as it was a narrow road with no pavement she had no alternative but to keep going 100m till road widened and he went past.
Interestingly when we are cycling together she has no problems,I think being a woman makes them a soft target for bad on road behavior.
As I read your post a terrible feeling of guilt fell upon me.

We followed a very slow moving, vulnerable road user down a narrow lane yesterday in the car. At first we kept a distance from her, but after a while frustration got the better of us. I reduced the gap, and increased the revs to make my presence felt. No reaction.

I honked the horn. Nothing.

My six year old passenger leant out the window, and shouted 'get out the way!', brandishing a reasonably life like pistol.

I honked the horn again.

Not even a shrug of recognition, although by now visibly panicked.

Then I remembered that it was Pheasant that we had treated so badly, and felt a little better.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here is how I do it (Does not always work for me or them)

If it is not that serious, do nothing. I just shake my head. If there is going to be an interaction, take these steps:

1 - Stay calm and focused. Avoid shouting or using obscene gestures. (This is sometimes hard to do when someone has just about killed you)
2 - Know the road laws
3 - Stick to series of events and how they unfolded and use #2
4 - When they start going on about road tax, simply calmly say "I pay it too, I feel your pain."
5 - If they say get on the bike path where there is none to be on, calmly tell them to contact their local representative and say that one should be built.
6 - Have a camera on your bike. (Does not matter if it is on or not. They do not know that) Calmly tell them that their actions and current interaction are being recorded and may be presented to the police for further action on your behalf.
7 - If the situation is escalating on the other partie's behalf and even physical violence is being threatened, Flag down passing motorist or pedestrians to make them aware of what is going on. You may need witnesses.
8 - If you are struck by an individual, do not retaliate. They may be armed with a knife or anything else that could really hurt you. Usually when you fight back it just escalates things further. Tell them that you are going to the police and you have their registration.
9 - By the time it gets to this stage and thing have calmed down, start taking names and contact information from witnesses. Contact immediately or go directly to the police. The person involved may have been drinking or under the influence of drugs. The sooner this individual can be talked to by to police the better.

Always acknowledge good behavior by motorist. A friendly wave, a thumbs up, tip of the helmet etc go a long way it promoting harmony between cyclist and motorist. At all times be courteous. Do not give motorist or pedestrians, for that matter, anymore reasons to hate cyclist.

Comments?
Wow! You make it sound like a jungle out there... I have never been threatened with violence or suffered Road rage, but I have seen it happen! All it took were a few well chosen words from an agreived cyclists when he caught up with a car at the traffic lights. The car driver want into total meltdown!

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Wow! You make it sound like a jungle out there... I have never been threatened with violence or suffered Road rage, but I have seen it happen! All it took were a few well chosen words from an agreived cyclists when he caught up with a car at the traffic lights. The car driver want into total meltdown!
I make four or five trips to and from work every week, on my ebike, covering up to 75 miles. My video collection of near misses and interactions with thoughtless, inconsiderate, and dangerous drivers grows. I have gone to both companies and authorities with some success. In all cases I was more interested in correcting bad driving not punishment. Yes it is a jungle out there but I am using my posted stategy to survive. I am much better at not putting myself in dangerous positions on the road and modifying my routes to to take advantage of trails even though it may be a longer distance. Be cool, be careful, get a camera and a rear view mirror. Good luck to all out there :)

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
The rush hour is not an enjoyable experience I take my hat off to cyclists who stick with it.
My girlfriend ride home is mostly up hill I've almost persuaded her to let me fit an electric kit to her bike, I'm hoping the boost it gives will help get her up the hill and past hazards a bit faster and keep clear of other traffic.
I agree non confrontation is the best policy a disapproving shake of the is as far as I take it.

Reactions: Emo Rider

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I make four or five trips to and from work every week, on my ebike, covering up to 75 miles. My video collection of near misses and interactions with thoughtless, inconsiderate, and dangerous drivers grows. I have gone to both companies and authorities with some success. In all cases I was more interested in correcting bad driving not punishment. Yes it is a jungle out there but I am using my posted stategy to survive. I am much better at not putting myself in dangerous positions on the road and modifying my routes to to take advantage of trails even though it may be a longer distance. Be cool, be careful, get a camera and a rear view mirror. Good luck to all out there :)
Any recommendations for cameras? I'm a bit nervous after what happened to Michael Schumacher (the doctors blame his gopro).

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Any recommendations for cameras? I'm a bit nervous after what happened to Michael Schumacher (the doctors blame his gopro).
If you go to techmoan.com he does excellent teviews on a wide range of cams. Mine, a choice based on his review, was the JCV200. It did everything the review said. There are cams cheaper and more expensive. You can choose what is in your budget and needs. I have my camera handlebar mounted so that eliminates risk of injury from the camera in case of accident. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jonathan75

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Probably the best remedies for Road Rage are a Presumed Liability law, strict enforcement and cameras everywhere, to provide the evidence.
Better infrastructure helps in a more passive way, segregation means less opportunity for "might is right" to creep in.
I ride defensively, but I shouldn't have to. :cool:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Makes sense to ride defensively, and I drive defensively too. All it really means is expecting the unexpected. If you use the road thinking that all other road users are skilled and aware of other road users, and paying attention at all times, you'll have accidents. On a bike the sort of accidents that may well kill you.

Last edited:

stevew

Pedelecer
Defensively, no. That sort of implies "combat"!
Assertively, yes. That sort of implies "it's OK to be here"

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Defensively, no. That sort of implies "combat"!
Assertively, yes. That sort of implies "it's OK to be here"
It is like a battle field on the road. I do not agree with the assertive approach at all. Yes by all means keep a steady and predictible course. However, if you start being assertive on a bicycle in traffic and you're going to get hurt. Kind of like a soldier with an empty rifle confronting a pack of tanks.

stevew

Pedelecer
Assertive does not mean bossy, cocky or arrogant. What it means is riding where you can be SEEN all the time and making that your responsibility not the responsibility of the other road users. We, as cyclists, have a place and a right on the road and we share the road with all the other drivers/riders. We are no different to the other road users. If you take it on yourself to be responsible for others SEEING you, your outlook, whilst on the road, will be different.
Been training PTW riders for while now and it honestly works ;)

Reactions: peerjay56

Advertisers