Batribike Dash geared too low

Georgie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2014
I am very happy with my Batribike Dash folding bike except for the gearing. I think it is too low geared. Even in sixth gear on minimum assist, when I get to a certain speed my legs are treading air. Has anyone else had this problem? o_O I read in a bike review of the Batribike Breeze that this was the same for most of the small wheeled folding bikes on the market. Someone commented on this review and said he had fitted a larger crank on his Breeze and that this had cured the problem. Does anyone know how this is done and the implications with regard to the guarantee? :eek:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Regards warranty/guarentee you need to chat with bike suplier first. If out of warranty it won't matter a larger chain/crank wheel will be much better or other option is a different cassette gearing, In some cases both. I have just changed from 46t to 52t chain ring on my bbs and find it much better.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
By the look of the specs, the Dash already has a 52t chainring, so there may not be a lot of room to manoeuvre at that end.

It might take a cassette with a higher top gear, but you would need to do some teeth counting to establish what's there already.

http://www.batribike.com/folding-electric-bikes/dash/dash

Arrow

Aug 31, 2013
The Dash has a 14 - 28 cassette. Anything with a higher gear say 11 or 12 tooth are normally 7 speed at least which would not match the 6 speed shifter.
If you can find a 6 speed please post the details because as you say your legs are just treading air with the 14 tooth.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the only option ends up being a 7 gear casstte replace the gear shifter as well, there are some on fleabay.

Georgie

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for all your advice RobF, Arrow and Neath, I guess that I will have to be content with the present gearing of my bike until the warrantee runs out. I understood that electric bikes were limited to 15.5 mph but I didn't expect that pedalling would be limited at a certain speed on a flat road.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Worth having a word with the dealer.

Looks like low geared Dash is a common complaint, so they may have a fix.

Advertisers