Powacycle Prague (black) stolen

adsp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2012
I owned this electric bike for more than 2 years. It was stolen from my garage a couple of days (nights?) ago - that's 28 Oct 2014.

It was chained, although nothing fancy, steel cable with key. The garage door is also not great safety, one of those common steel up-and-over, thinking about investing in changing the doors.

Unfortunately the battery was also there, I usually take it in every night for charging, this time was a short trip and left on the bike. And it was there for a while since bad whether made me use the bike less. That probably made the difference for risking it.

The bike key (power-on) was not there, so they presumably wouldn't be able to use it with power straight away (or at all, no one in their right mind would use a 20 kg bike as a push bike), so I expect somebody in the "distribution" chain will attempt at some point to replace the keys / perhaps the whole lock?

I wrote to Powacycle and ask if they would assist with revealing any requests to replace keys for this particular bike (I offered to give serial numbers, including the battery one), waiting for an answer.

What do you pedelecs think about the replacing key issue? I thought making it harder for thief to replace the keys would be a good disincentive to steal it in the first place / dump it somewhere as useless after.

Regards,
Adrian

PS. I was considering uploading a photo, but I guess those Powacycles are so common that one can google Powacycle Prague and it looks just like that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SRS got his KTM back eventually 6-9months on with a little forum help.
Report it to Old Bill and get a crime no, keep an eye out for local adds, friday add and gumtree on interweb as well as Fleabay most likely place it may be sold on. Also forum members usually pick up on these when for sale so would be of help to know your location/county.
Pics can be of use esp if bike slightly customised of has any marks present, assume you also know its serial no.

adsp

Jul 28, 2012
It's Cambridge UK area.
Reported to police, gave serial numbers and lots of details, including about the battery.
Yes, will keep an eye on eBay and the likes, thanks for advice Nealh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lets hope at some stage you get it back adsp.

adsp

Jul 28, 2012
Nothing new really, just contacted the manufacturer, Powacycle, Bob was very friendly and promised to alert the bicycle shops in the area, in case somebody asks for replacement keys for such a bike. He confirmed they are not standard, so changing the locks will have to come through Powacycle.