Help

cjc100

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 9, 2014
I would be prepared to buy second hand through Woosh as they check bikes over and sell with a guarantee. Sadly they do not have any returns of the models I am looking at currently.
My thanks to all who have given impartial advice.There is a lot of choice out there and more possibilities have come into the frame eg Kalkoff @£999. I feel I need to take time and go to a big dealer and try different bikes. I thought I wanted a throttle but have never tried a bike with one, so I will try before I buy and make a more educated decision.

cjc100

Nov 9, 2014
My thanks to all who have given impartial advice.There is a lot of choice out there and more possibilities have come into the frame eg Kalkoff @£999. I feel I need to take time and go to a big dealer and try different bikes. I thought I wanted a throttle but have never tried a bike with one, so I will try before I buy and make a more educated decision.
Any thoughts on the Ansmann FC1 plus against the Kalkoff groove F7. Are these Chinese bikes with a German marque. They seem to be competitively
priced

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
No the Kalkhoffs are made in Germany. It's an introductory launch price according to 50 Cycles who posted here about them. Certainly is the cheapest Kalkhoff ever I should think.

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Once you realise that almost all the components are made in China, it really becomes a choice of which bike fits you better, rides most comfortably and has the best components and support. Personally I would always go for a front disc and 15Ah quality battery - the Woosh Big Bear takes some beating at that price. The Kalkhoff Groove F7 is a basic spec but step-through is easy to ride in a suit...

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
The Ansmann has better brakes, tyres, frame choice than the Kalkhoff and a 13.4 Ah battery option. How is the price?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Once you realise that almost all the components are made in China, it really becomes a choice of which bike fits you better, rides most comfortably and has the best components and support. Personally I would always go for a front disc and 15Ah quality battery - the Woosh Big Bear takes some beating at that price. The Kalkhoff Groove F7 is a basic spec but step-through is easy to ride in a suit...
I'm not sure the Groove motor is made in China though it might be. The Impulse certainly isn't. It's made in Germany by Daum who Derby Cycles bought a half share in to use it. The battery will be German made too as will the frame and wheels. All of which are of better quality than the cheaper Chinese bikes I've seen.

The Big Bear will beat it into a cocked hat on a hill but I'm not sure it will be as nice to ride.

cjc100

Nov 9, 2014
I have decided against the Big Bear as I feel it is really a bike for less fit or dare I say Lazy riders ( no offence to anyone who wants to take it easy). Also I prefer the larger wheels and look of the Dutch style road bikes. I originally liked the look and spec of the Woosh Sundowner. But somehow the 2015 Kalkhoff is more appealing as it is a current model. However, the spec is mostly the same. I suppose that what I am really asking is that is the Kalkhoff worth spending £300 odd more?

C

Cyclezee

Any thoughts on the Ansmann FC1 plus against the Kalkoff groove F7. Are these Chinese bikes with a German marque. They seem to be competitively
priced
The Ansmann bikes are not Chinese, but as with almost every brand that you can think of there is Far Eastern content.

Can anyone name another brand that offers the same level of warranty, 2 years on components, 3 years on batteries, 4 years on motors, 5 years on the frame.

Photos of the Ansmann production line Assamstadt, Germany.
ebike-manufaktur-02.jpg
ebike-manufaktur-01.jpg

cjc100

Nov 9, 2014
The Ansmann bikes are not Chinese, but as with almost every brand that you can think of there is Far Eastern content.

Can anyone name another brand that offers the same level of warranty, 2 years on components, 3 years on batteries, 4 years on motors, 5 years on the frame.

Photos of the Ansmann production line Assamstadt, Germany.
View attachment 10007
View attachment 10008
do you offer 0% interest terms over varying periods as per 50 cycles

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
I suppose that what I am really asking is that is the Kalkhoff worth spending £300 odd more?
When you consider that if you started with a £350 base bike and added a £500 conversion kit, you'd already be more expensive than Woosh Big Bear low step , you can see what great value that is. That also helps to frame the relative values of European assembled bikes and better warranties. You pay your money and take your choice...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have decided against the Big Bear as I feel it is really a bike for less fit or dare I say Lazy riders ( no offence to anyone who wants to take it easy). Also I prefer the larger wheels and look of the Dutch style road bikes. I originally liked the look and spec of the Woosh Sundowner. But somehow the 2015 Kalkhoff is more appealing as it is a current model. However, the spec is mostly the same. I suppose that what I am really asking is that is the Kalkhoff worth spending £300 odd more?
Either bike should do what you seek, so it's going to come down to personal preference.

Both sellers offer test rides, so you could have a go on the bikes if you are prepared to travel.

Assuming you are able to afford both, the price difference is not that important on an item which will hopefully last you years.

I like quality finishes on bikes, the Klakhoff wins on that score, so that is the one I would buy.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
I have owned a Ezee Sprint Primo LS for a few months and can thoroughly recommend it for the money. It has been 100% reliable and is very comfortable. If you are interested in some serious input from yourself when cycling you may need to change the seatpost as it is only 300mm long ( I changed to a 350mm suspension post and am only 5'7" tall ).
It has a 20A controller and a beefy front hub motor and have never found it wanting in the hill climbing department. The component quality is excellent for the money (Sony battery 36V 11A as standard but 15A and 21A available) and the controller is key operated for added security with a diagnostic LED. The 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub gear has been a revelation after living with dérailleur gears for so many years.

cjc100

Nov 9, 2014
I have owned a Ezee Sprint Primo LS for a few months and can thoroughly recommend it for the money. It has been 100% reliable and is very comfortable. If you are interested in some serious input from yourself when cycling you may need to change the seatpost as it is only 300mm long ( I changed to a 350mm suspension post and am only 5'7" tall ).
It has a 20A controller and a beefy front hub motor and have never found it wanting in the hill climbing department. The component quality is excellent for the money (Sony battery 36V 11A as standard but 15A and 21A available) and the controller is key operated for added security with a diagnostic LED. The 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub gear has been a revelation after living with dérailleur gears for so many years.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been in touch with Cyclezee and they do not have that model in stock right now. Certainly the strong motor and battery are appealing and having previously dismissed the Big Bear, I now think it is a strong contender, especially as there seems to be many happy owners out there.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been in touch with Cyclezee and they do not have that model in stock right now. Certainly the strong motor and battery are appealing and having previously dismissed the Big Bear, I now think it is a strong contender, especially as there seems to be many happy owners out there.
Just to clarify, we are indeed out of stock of the Sprint Primo LDS, but the GTS diamond frame version is in stock at £795;)

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
as your local Raleigh / Haibike dealer in Dorchester we would happily discuss options with you. the new Forge will be here 12 January 2015. 0% deposit and 24 months interest free credit all backed up by us and any Raleigh dealers

cjc100

Nov 9, 2014
Just spotted the Kalkhoff Sahel i360 Harmony on 50 cycles website. Looks like a lot of bike for the money. I wonder how reliable the auto gears are and whether they are really efficient and smooth.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just spotted the Kalkhoff Sahel i360 Harmony on 50 cycles website. Looks like a lot of bike for the money. I wonder how reliable the auto gears are and whether they are really efficient and smooth.
The NuVinci gear hub might take some getting used to.

I've only had a short go on one and wasn't sure what to make of it.

Probably not a good choice for a beginner, unless you could borrow one for a week beforehand to find out if you liked it.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I found having a Nuvinci easy to adapt to although I seemed to be constantly adjusting it when peddling along. The Harmony auto changing would do this for you. Although not available on the Grace, I felt it would have been better for it, you can of course turn it off.