Battery not taking full charge after less than a month

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Hey, over the last few days I've noticed that the battery loses a lot more of its charge than it was doing. I was only riding for 2-3 mins the other morning and it lost a third of the charge, which is about what I have been using on an average day.

Today when I checked it, the charger was green indicating a full charge but when I turned it on it was only charge 2 thirds of the way. After running it for a few seconds on throttle and recharging I got an extra bar but only when the charger was connected.

I've got the woosh BPM, I haven't spoke to them yet, will do tomorrow. The question is why would this happen and what can I do to get the full charge back?

Thanks

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Sounds like some cells are out of balance. BMS shut off when there is a cell fully charged to avoid overcharging.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks, is there anything that can be done to get the battery balanced and restore the full charge?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Yea but you need to open the battery case to do that. As you still have warranty with woosh you should let them to do the job. Especially you do not have the tools etc multimeter or balance charger to do the job.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Hey,

So I sent the battery and charger back to Woosh, they tested everything and found no issues. I got it back yesterday, to fitted the battery back to the bike and left it on charge over night.

Today when I woke up, the charger was showing the green light indicating that the battery was fully charged but when I turned it on and checked the LCD, there was only 4 out of the 6 bars still :-/

I started messing with the LCD buttons and went into the screens that show PO1, PO2 etc and started changing things randomly but don't know what any of the settings are. I did find a way to change the settings from Kilometers to miles, which is good and then when I went back to the main screen the battery indicator was back to normal and showing all 6 bars.

It would therefore seem that this was the problem but I have no idea how this changed and now I don't know if I've got the correct settings on each of these POx screens?

If anyone has this kit can you help by telling me what your settings are?

To get into these PO screens I turned on the LCD then pressed the up S and the down S together.

Thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited:

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Hey trex, thanks for the info.

It is the BPM kit and that looks like the correct LCD but the PO functions seem to be different.

PO1 in the manual says it's for the wheel size but on my LCD it is for the LCD brightness. PO2 is to change it from KM/H to MP/H and PO3 is for the battery voltage.

The battery is 36V but if that's what I set the LCD to, the battery indicator loses the two bars. If I set it to 48V the battery indicator blinks with no bars like it does when there's no charge left and setting it to 24V shows the battery fully charged.

That doesn't seem right does it?

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
The latest batch of controllers from Woosh had a different order on the P settings as you've found. Tony at Woosh knows about this but he's on holiday at the moment. What does your battery voltage read after charging? Should be about 42v I think.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Hey Mike, I spoke to Woosh again today and they've advised me to email the details so maybe this will go to Tony?

It's charging ATM but is that the screen that has VOL on it?

It does seem to be a bit strange (or I don't understand it) my ODO reset, the speed is more than my bike computer shows (by quite a bit), trip time is 0000.0, RM is also all zeros?

I'll get an email sent with all the details and see how it goes.
(I'm also fairly sure the motor is making a lot more noise now that it was just over a month ago when I bought it :confused:

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Hey trex, thanks for the info.

It is the BPM kit and that looks like the correct LCD but the PO functions seem to be different.

PO1 in the manual says it's for the wheel size but on my LCD it is for the LCD brightness. PO2 is to change it from KM/H to MP/H and PO3 is for the battery voltage.

The battery is 36V but if that's what I set the LCD to, the battery indicator loses the two bars. If I set it to 48V the battery indicator blinks with no bars like it does when there's no charge left and setting it to 24V shows the battery fully charged.

That doesn't seem right does it?
I think this is the link to your manual:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/2014/support/zp-LCD.pdf

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks mike, that's the correct manual.
On the VOL screen it shows 36.3 after being fully charged.

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Oh, that sounds too low- my Woosh square bottle batteries are 40.8 and 41.7 after charging in a warm room. Could be worth checking the voltage at the battery connector pins with a multimeter as I'd presume that's what Woosh would have done?

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
I mentioned warm room because if you keep the battery on the bike at this time of year its performance will suffer a bit. I don't know how much that 'bit' is though...