How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I am so jealous of your local ride routes! Great photos again, which camera do you use?
Thanks Mike! My camera is a micro four thirds, it's a Sony NEX-5R. I do have a bigger Nikon DSLR but I find myself using the Sony most of the time as it's so light to carry and not bulky either. It's also worth noting that all my photos take a trip through Lightroom to get the best out of them. :)

Reactions: MikeRo and EddiePJ

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
:) Careful - Sony NEX isn't micro four thirds (otherwise known as m43) so if you buy m43 lenses they won't fit! I use m43, an Olympus E-M5, and I find it so much better than my old DSLR.

Michael

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
[quote="mfj197, post: 243393, member: 1204CSC.] Careful - Sony NEX isn't micro four thirds (otherwise known as m43) so if you buy m43 lenses they won't fit! I use m43, an Olympus E-M5, and I find it so much better than my old DSLR.

Michael[/quote]
Ah yes, you're right. I get mixed up between them and CSC. Perhaps it was my last camera that was m43. That was a Panasonic GF3 which I replaced with the Sony. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The back has been crap this week, and I shied away from riding with SRS today, but things felt better late morning, so I decided to pop out for a little ride. 30 miles later!!!!
I hadn't intended to ride that far, but I 'accidently' ;) managed to end up on a local MOD training ground, and had to make a swift detour, into a section which read "no pyrotechnics" and I lost track of where I was, and wrongly thought that I was in one section, when I wasn't.
The hiccup actually produced some good new routes, but the conditions up here are just way to wet at the moment. The limited photos below, do nothing to show the conditions. For the second time in a row, the battery only gave me a 30 mile range, and this was a mix of no assist, eco and the odd tour setting. That is a vast difference to the Purbeck ride with WT and SRS, which would have given me twice that range.
To be fair to the soldiers today, no one said anything to me, and they ignored me, but with a camera hanging from my neck, I figured that I had better disappear before having to answer awkward questions. It was lovely day for a ride though, and I met several very friendly walkers and horse riders on other forest sections, which is always a bonus. I do make a conscious effort to stop for all horse riders when I'm out, but sadly many mtb riders don't and it's a quick way to be pee people off.

The dreaded chain suck reared it's ugly head again today, and it looks as though I might have to think about a way of fitting a single speed chain tensioner to try to prevent it from keep happening.

Nothing very exciting to look at. The wood behind is a 1000 acre estate that I'm working on getting sole access to ride the bike in there. It's only ten minutes from my house, and has some very good down hill sections in. Not that I'd know anything about that.
I didn't seem to gel with things today in respect of speed and confidence, but think that the fear of messing back up again had much to do with that. And yep, I've screwed it up again anyway. :(

Last edited:

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
Eddie -- looks like you had a nice trip around the Ashdown forrest!! I am reasonably familiar with that part as my daughter and son in law live in Crowborough (Whitehill rd) We visit a few times a year! I might look you up the next time we are over!

Regards from Ireland!
Cheers!
Robbie
Co Wexford, Ireland

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I know Whitehill Road very well, and used to live just off of it. :)

I'm now on the other side of the town and Ashdown Forest is just two minutes down the road from me. Of course like every other mtb owner in the area, I wouldn't dream of ever straying from the bridleways on there.

This is one of the few bridleways that cross it. I rode it today, and it couldn't have been any wetter. The horses chew it right up. Then you have the forest rangers in 4x4 vehicle on it as well, and the conservationist moan that mtb use on the forest would spoil it. Somehow I think not.

You would definitely be more than welcome to pop by, and I'll let you take the KTM e-mtb out for spin. I'll ride along behind on the pedal only one.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a ride over to Hamsterley forest this afternoon to ride part of the blue trail and decided to have a go at the green trail as well.
I thought green meant easy but apparently I was wrong!

It started out ok but soon came to a couple of nearly 50 degree 20 foot drops with lots of rocks and tree roots and a drop into the river on the right if you got it wrong!

There were some impossible to ride steps in a couple of places that I had to carry the bike down.I need to make a sump guard for next time to protect the wires that exit the bottom of the motor.

Not many folks about today,possibly because it wasn't far above freezing but hundreds of squirrels about.

I have ordered a triangle bag from EM3EV and once that comes the BBS02 will be going on my new Cannondale and the serious riding can begin.
Currently I have to be a bit careful as I dont want to snap the rear rack off although its only lightly loaded with a pair of 16Ah Multistars and a spare chain.
The rest of my tools and spares are in a small triangle bag and a top tube bag.

http://www.strava.com/activities/225522696/overview

Last edited:

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Had a ride over to Hamsterley forest this afternoon to ride part of the blue trail and decided to have a go at the green trail as well.
I thought green meant easy but apparently I was wrong!

It started out ok but soon came to a couple of nearly 50 degree 20 foot drops with lots of rocks and tree roots and a drop into the river on the right if you got it wrong!

There were some impossible to ride steps in a couple of places that I had to carry the bike down.I need to make a sump guard for next time to protect the wires that exit the bottom of the motor.

Not many folks about today,possibly because it wasn't far above freezing but hundreds of squirrels about.

I have ordered a triangle bag from EM3EV and once that comes the BBS02 will be going on my new Cannondale and the serious riding can begin.
Currently I have to be a bit careful as I dont want to snap the rear rack off although its only lightly loaded with a pair of 16Ah Multistars and a spare chain.
The rest of my tools and spares are in a small triangle bag and a top tube bag.

http://www.strava.com/activities/225522696/overview
Steps on a green trail sounds very odd. Are you sure you were on a mtb trail rather than a green colour coded footpath? Or could you have strayed from the route? Very strange indeed. Interesting pictures though!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for sharing Kinninvie. I'm another thought it strange having the steps on the ride.

Keep the write ups coming. :)

In the last month, I have ruined one camera because of use in rain, a second has been covered with more mud than I would comfortably have liked, and I have also smashed the screen on two phones in not much more than a week.

Time for a change, and this simple Fujifilm point and shoot should be with me on Friday. :)

It even came in the right choice of colour, so it kind of seems rude not to have a play with the library photo, to add appropriate and superb brand name to it!! :D

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Steps on a green trail sounds very odd. Are you sure you were on a mtb trail rather than a green colour coded footpath? Or could you have strayed from the route? Very strange indeed. Interesting pictures though!
Yes, I reckon it was a footpath but it did say trail on the signpost.

My pics are a bit naff because they were taken on my mobile as I forgot my camera (as usual).

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I second the above;)
Only lost 12lbs so far but only been dieting for a week so there is hope yet.
Aiming to be able to ride the Sustrans route 165 from Barnard Castle to Whitby by the time the weather warms back up.
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-165

Last edited:
Reactions: bmc and TinKitten

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had issues as well, I was too fat!

Now almost 2 stone lighter since riding my e-bike off road.:)
I've always been lucky, and can eat like a horse, yet remain roughly at a constant 12.5 stone. I guess that what being self employed and worry does for you! :eek:

Buying and using the e-mtb, has definitely helped with the joint issues, and I now use a pedal only KTM mtb, which is just as much fun to ride. Sadly my knees still often burn like hell for a day or so afterwards, whichever bike that I ride. It's good to have the option to ride both though, and I'd certainly never want to be without an e-mtb.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
.... and I now use a pedal only KTM mtb, which is just as much fun to ride. Sadly my knees still often burn like hell for a day or so afterwards, whichever bike that I ride. It's good to have the option to ride both though, and I'd certainly never want to be without an e-mtb.
It's interesting that you say that. A year ago the chances of me going out on a bike,any sort of bike, were about nil!

Now almost a year after getting my e-bike I've mused over what it might be like to ride a non electric bike again. Haven't taken the plunge like you & actually done it, but it just shows that the old mindset is changing & the benefits of e-bikes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Wander, I went out for ride last weekend on the pedal bike, whilst my brother-in-law rode the e-mtb. I have to say that I thoroughly loved every second it. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ktm-corner.19044/page-7#post-244423

My cousin, and very keen road cyclist is joining me for ride on Xmas day morning. I gave him the option of which bike that he could ride, and he jumped at the chance of taking the e-mtb. So that'll be another two bike outing for me, and once again I shall be riding the pedal bike. I don't actually mind though, as I'm actually enjoying it more at the moment.
Having two e-mtb's for the ride would have opened up the options for distance and up hill speed though.

Before this, I'm also planning on getting out on Tuesday, so my holiday riding is going to be well underway.

Anyone else planning or intending to have a Xmas ride?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Family commitments meant that I couldn't make the ride above, but the poor weather conditions wouldn't had made it too enjoyable anyway.

I opted to pop out this morning instead, and had what could be considered a very mixed 20 mile ride.
I came off pretty heavily at the start of the ride, whilst trying to avoid a small whippy branch that was at neck level. Not sure how this happened, but I went over the handlebars, yet somehow managed to end up trapped under the bike, after having first had the handlebar end dig into my thigh muscle, and the nose of the saddle into my spine. It took me several minutes to get out from underneath the bike, and it was the first time that I have been more concerned about myself than the bike. I struggled to walk the next half mile, then got back on again, and slowly the pain eased. I bet that it'll hurt tomorrow morning! Note to self... Check how a change in brake pad material works before diving in at the deep end.

The remainder of the ride was pretty uneventful, and it was just so good to be out in sunshine enjoying such a wonderful bright warm day. It was far too muddy and wet though.

Now here is something that really annoys me. Because of suppossed damage that they cause, mountain bikes aren't allowed on Ashdown Forest and there are only four public bridleways. Horses are allowed, walkers are allowed, all of whom let their dogs crap on the bridleways without clearing it up, or drop litter. Then you are faced with this damage caused by forest rangers in their 4x4 vehicles. Someone explain to me how an mtb would do more damage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Eddie. All bicycles are also banned in my local reserve, as are horse riders, while the vehicles of the Forestry Commission and sub-contractors cause huge mudbath damage. However, we have an organisation of which I'm a member and we do most of the policing and despite the regs we are happy to have bicycles in there. As a result many do cycle around and through, both solo and family groups out for leisurely rides.

On the odd occasions as a walker I have seen cyclists on Ashdown Forest minor paths when I've been there and have always acknowledged them in a friendly way. They don't show any surprise at my acceptance so I wonder how strictly it's policed?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It's a bit of an odd one on Ashdown Forest, and the forest rangers aren't rumoured to be so bad. They take your photo and give you a verbal warning the first time, but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted, and it's my understanding that legally, the conservators are on very shaky ground with the whole thing. The lads that do ride over there, are all very respectful towards the rangers. After all, they are just doing their job. I have had one dog walker start to have a go at me for being on the bridleway, but as always, I remained polite, and simply should them my OS map with the route on there. I had have someone follow us around on Xmas day and take our photos, and try to point out that we had no right to be there. They were polite enough, and I choose simply to look the way and just keep pedalling. I wasn't about to spoil my Xmas day.
There are quite a number of people that ride over there, mainly at night time though, and one thing that all have in common, is that they are polite to walkers, slow down for dogs, stop for horse riders, and act responsibly.
Horse riders pay an annual fee for riding there, and from speaking to other mtb riders, none would object to doing the same. The cycle tyres even flatten the hoof prints and walkers foot steps out, so really allowing bikes on there would be a win win situation.
Up there today, I had cheery hello's from walkers, people out jogging, horse riders, and road cyclists. Surely that is what an area such as that is all about. People simply enjoying being outside in a wide open space. It's good for mental well being, is good for the local economy, with people visiting local cafes, or even the ice cream vans, who's owners pay an extortionate amount of money for being up there. Sadly it is the conservators that ruin it for all, except for their own narrow minded hidden agenda's.

Sadly there will all be one exception to the rule, although I think that this story has been very much twisted to suit. http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/Police-seek-man-tried-rob-disabled-photographer/story-23033659-detail/story.html

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Up there today, I had cheery hello's from walkers, people out jogging, horse riders, and road cyclists. Surely that is what an area such as that is all about. People simply enjoying being outside in a wide open space. It's good for mental well being, is good for the local economy, with people visiting local cafes, or even the ice cream vans, who's owners pay an extortionate amount of money for being up there.
Fully agree Eddie. I'm pleased to learn that there is that much tolerance in Ashdown forest. I've never had a cyclist stop for me there, but that's because I step to the side and smile when one approaches, leaving them in no doubt that they are welcome to ride straight past.

We do enforce the no-horse-riding regulation in our reserve, simply because the horses are so numerous in our area and do so much damage and mud creation on footpaths.

Advertisers