Battery care

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I bought an almost new Woosh Sport CD about 7 months back, and used fairly regularly up till end of October, and since due to illness and family commitments it's been sitting in the garage,and not used at all. I am wondering about the battery, took it off the bike and brought it in the house today and have put it on charge. Do I have to charge it at regular intervals, should I keep it in warm conditions, say the airing cupboard. All advice appreciated. Oh I am hoping to get back on the bike again as soon as doctor says it's ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

Keep it somewhere cool, but you mustn't let it freeze. You should charge it from time to time. Leave it on charge for several hours after the green light has come on if you can.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Lots of different opinions on storage temperatures. Most dealers including Woosh tell you to keep it indoors at room temperature or a little bit lower and not allow it to stay out in the cold. Other people here say different...You should charge it every six weeks or so and not let it go flat.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the battery is in fairly regular use, storage at around room temperature is correct. However, for long term storage of several months or more, close to zero degrees C (but never below) is technically best for minimising capacity loss.

The difference is quite small though, so not really worth you worrying about it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
denwyn, use it or lose it. If you don't use it, don't keep it, advertise it for free on the woosh secondhand page.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand
Odd sort of reply to my question, I have no intention of selling it. Just been unable to use it, having been suffering with a trapped nerve in my back, plus a bereavement in family. I am aiming of being back on the bike by end of Feb. have now removed battery, charged it and stored in cool place. I love the bike, so why you think I should sell it is a bit odd.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Four to five weeks won't hurt it however it's stored, what you've done is fine.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
denwyn, I misunderstood your situation, sorry. Batteries are at risk when not used regularly, even when you keep it fully charged. The risk of damage increases with the time you keep it in storage. The best depth of charge for storage is about half full, where the Lithium is split about 50/50 between the two electrodes. The risk is highest when the battery is very full or very flat. I've heard stories that people charge up their battery to full for the winter and leave it for 3 months. Later, when spring comes, they take the bike out and find out that their battery stops working properly, it has developed a bad cell during storage. I recommend you take the bike out for a short ride once a week and don't charge it until the first bar on the battery meter has gone off.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Found this out today, mines been stored for about a month with an 80% charge on it in my sub zero garage. Charged it, rode it for 5 minutes up a hill, battery dropped to the red. Currently contemplating a big build as my battery is inside the frame (A2B metro). Leaving it on a long charge to let the BMS try to rebalance and will test again tomorrow. :(

D

Deleted member 4366

Oh dear!

I hope it's easier to work on than the external type, which have the ends glued and screwed to the aluminium case. I had to use a lot of heat to shift them. Let us know how you get on.

D

Deleted member 4366

It should be pretty straight forward. You run it until it starts cutting out, then remove the cell-pack and measure the voltage of each block of six. The duff ones will be at a lower voltage.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
The whole pack bounces back up to full after the sag though so might be tricky to catch. Is there a way of replicating it with the pack on the bench as its a swine to pull out every time?

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Just had a thought, would this work? Charge to pack to full, remove it and measure all the cell voltages. Then connect my 3 * 50w 12v bulbs (in series) and measure the cells again. Whichever has the biggest drop under load is the duff one.

Would that be a sensible way (plus means I'm not putting the pack in and out a lot)?

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure it's sagging? 18650 cells don't normally bounce back much.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Just had a thought, would this work? Charge to pack to full, remove it and measure all the cell voltages. Then connect my 3 * 50w 12v bulbs (in series) and measure the cells again. Whichever has the biggest drop under load is the duff one.

Would that be a sensible way (plus means I'm not putting the pack in and out a lot)?
yes, I would do exactly that

D

Deleted member 4366

It could be just a bad connection somewhere that's breaking down under load.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I'd thought that as well but my dashboard meter is wired straight off the battery output and it shows the sag. I'd thought I may have disturbed something when I'd had the rear wheel off recently but thinking about it that would have cut power to the motor without showing the sag on the meter.

I'm starting a new thread detailing todays adventure in getting the pack out!

Advertisers