How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A more in depth write up to follow, but todays ride was one of the most extreme that I have completed. It took over 4hrs to complete a mere 21 miles!!!!
I have to say before continuing though, that this bike now has me very impressed indeed. :)

Sadly the mud mixed with flint ripped the plastic cover behind the sprocket in half. Hardly surprising and very understandable that something had to give.

It wasn't exactly an easy option trying to stay to the side. Photos don't portray just how hard that even that was to ride.

Waiting for walkers.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
So on to todays superb ride. :)

The lad that I met up with last week, had come down from Yorkshire and had never been riding on the South Downs, and as I was going there today anyway, I suggested that he tagged along.
Being conscious of the fact that he was on a pedal mtb, for the first time ever, I opted to park at the top of the Downs, at Ditchling Beacon. Normally I would have started at the bottom and ridden up. This proved to be a very wise move today, as it enabled the ride to be split into two halves.
As SRS will confirm, the South Downs can be pretty much a no go area at this time of year, as today was to prove.
Jeez was it a sticky and tough ride! One section in particular had been made really severe and chewed up, due to a shoot that was going on, and the use of 4x4 vehicles.
The grip offered was outstanding, but what wasn't so good, was the 75mm of slop on the top, that had been mixed up with 20mm size pebbles of flint. It was a major recipe for drive train problems, and not only did we both understandably suffer from chain suck, the stones were wedging into everywhere possible and just halting the bikes. As much as love hub drives, I was glad to be on this bike today, as the front mech would have been ruined.
I thought of William Tell with his much heavier Haibike and the extra jockey wheel, and knew that had he been with us, he would have been suffering badly over my bike without the extra jockey wheel, and it made me quite glad not to have it.
Stones and mud were continuinly locking the jockey wheels on the rear mech of each bike completely solid. Forward progress was often impossible, and both of us spent a hell of a lot of time getting our hands dirty trying to clear and clean off, each others bikes.
The mudguards on both bikes caused major issues, and clogged up with the stones and mud, and so added to the wheels locking up. In the end the lad that I was with, ripped his mudguards off and binned them. He then went on to put his bike into a cattle trough to try to clean it, and make it rideable. I wasn't going to chance that, and so just stuck with trying to clean things off, the best that I could.
My wider than OE tyres didn't help matters either, and the chain stay paintwork has taken a hammering. It was at this point, that the mud forced its way behind the Bosch plastic cover behind the front sprocket, which then allowed it to be cut in two when pedalling. You could possibly say that the cover should not have come off, but a stone must have just peeled back like a tin opener, so certainly not the fault of Bosch.
As an example of how muddy that it was, on one particular hill, I clocked 31.6mph descending it last year in the summer. Today I was trying to push the bike down it, with both wheels skidding. I rode through every puddle that I could find, to try to keep things free and moving.
For some reason though today, I left very impressed with the bike, and the way that it took the punishment. I couldn't fault the way that it performed in any way, and it attracted a fair amount of positive comments from walkers.

Okay it took us the best part of the day to complete 20 miles, but it was still 20 miles of pure quality time and fun, and wouldn't have changed any of it. It was one of those rides that made you feel great to be alive, and enjoying just being out in the open. The South Downs are a very special place, and I wouldn't have wanted to have been on any other bike. A big up to KTM.:)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Look at the poor brake disc!

The one and only negative thing about today, was my back and neck. Neither have been right since the fall a couple of weeks ago, and the pain in my spine is really not good. I guess that I'm going to have to make an appointment to get things seen to. :(

edit.. Oh and you know that nice new camera that I have just bought. Guess what I dropped into the mud! Thank fook that it is both water resistant and shock proof.

Reactions: baldylox

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can't match Eddie for dirt - or cleanliness - but today's ride left me with a grubby bike.

Hold on, what's that he's riding?

It's a woosh Zephyr-B which recently landed courtesy of Hatti for review purposes.

Fuller write-up in due course, but I'm happy to answer any questions now should someone be thinking of placing an order.

One thing the Zephyr couldn't do was prevent me falling off it.

I'd hardly done four miles, so that might be something of a record for a new bike.

The scene of my tumble was the route one cycle track south of Sunderland.

Conditions really were grim, a mixture of mud, ice and water on top.

Another member of the group fell, and we walked for nearly a mile before giving it up as a bad job and taking to the road.

I was surprised there was still so much ice, but the path is in a cutting and I imagine it gets very little sun.

P1000142.JPG
PS. Dont worry Hatti, the bike will have had a sympathetic wash by the time you see this.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm glad you got the test bike Rob, I'm still waiting for mine to turn up.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's a bit different to your Delite....
I was prepared to buy a cheaper ebike to tied me over until I received my new one following the demise of the Grace. It seemed their route thing suggested it's a bit to steep where I live for their bikes but suggested I have one to try and then write up a report. I thought a good idea at the time.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, in complete contrast I spent Friday gone as high as could get in the peak district. Snow and more snow everywhere. Just caught it as its now melting away.

Just exploring and blasting around, brilliant fun and fabulous views. Hardly any mud to be seen. You asked about the Satmap, done the job nicely, didn't get lost once.

Cheers SRS

Reactions: EddiePJ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Took my Mtrax / Oxydrive around a local Park and the adjoining Forestry Commission land today for a shake down. Not up to EPJ's standard when it comes to speed and finding mud but never the less I found some and also some local oak artwork scattered about.. Not many people out a few dog walkers and the odd person here and there and a few old boys with their model sail boats on the lake.. I think I may have caught Eddie's cleaning bug as that is the first thing I did on returning home.:)

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More then impressed with it Eddie, wafted through the claggy muddy stuff I went through with nicely with good torque available. If I was on a pedal only bike it would have been a push through effort, very pleased with the Nobby Nics although the rear slipped and slid here and there they still gave grip.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Took my Mtrax / Oxydrive around a local Park and the adjoining Forestry Commission land today for a shake down. Not up to EPJ's standard when it comes to speed and finding mud but never the less I found some and also some local oak artwork scattered about.. Not many people out a few dog walkers and the odd person here and there and a few old boys with their model sail boats on the lake.. I think I may have caught Eddie's cleaning bug as that is the first thing I did on returning home.:)
Looks like a nice ride, if a little muddy, but where isn't? I rode round the local lanes today and it was so bad from field run off and tractor muck that I thought I might as well be off road!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Good to hear that you have been out and about TK. :) It'll soon be spring time, along with hopefully drier conditions. :)

I couldn't face getting the e-mtb muddy tonight, so opted to go out for a 17 mile evening ride on the KTM pedal mtb instead. I'll sleep tonight now! :D

The poor old tyres struggled for grip tonight.

Reactions: TinKitten

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a great day in Hamsterley Forest today with only one major problem.
Must have pressed the Gopro button twice because it did not record it!!!

The fire trails were pretty interesting with 3 or 4 inches of snow on them as you could not see the slope underneath and the front end shot out several times.
Luckily the bike is extremely light at the front and always came back in line with a foot on the floor and I never fell off once.

My intention was to pull some stills off the Gopro but that obviously is a no go now.
It is forecast more snow over the weekend though so I may get back over on Monday.

The best part was that the barriers on the roads were closed due to the snow so no car tyre tracks in the way,just a few foot and dog prints here and there.

Just short of 22 miles altogether and only another 4 bikers seen .
https://www.strava.com/activities/248139802/overview

What I really liked was the tyres performance.
I am running WTB Nine Lines at 2.00 x 29" and they gripped like studded tyres.
There is a 1 in 4 road on the way in and it was all deep snow but the tyres gripped so well I could even use the front brake.
On the way back out it only broke traction once on a bit of snow compressed by a car tyre but I just bounced on the saddle and it bit in and we were away.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I can only dream of getting out in such conditions... Too warm down south and not a hint of any snow in the forecast.
Good to see everything was reliable on your build, shame about the gopro :rolleyes:

Advertisers