Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Done :D. Spent today on and off fitting the kit. Rear wheel built and fitted with Torque arm,adapted fitted sensor ring works nicely which I attached to the chain ring. My reservations about the wiring came to nothing and no splicing of the wiring was necessary had to fit thumb throttle on the right. Fitted extra riv nut for battery mount all in all the kit wiring looks much neater than the BBS on my Norco. Decided to remove the reed switch with its connector and fit to my hyd brake, I drilled a hole through the back of the lever and having passed the reed through it threaded the attached hex screw in to the hole, magnets and sugru used on brake lever and a bit of heat shrink over the reed. Tested throttle and brake and all is ticketyboo hub switches on and off nicely :). :( The only thing I am struggling with is the settings on the LCD haven't yet cyphered how to find and adjust wheel size, km to mph etc, etc all that I have managed is to go up and down with the assist levels 1-6.
Will post pics soon.
Hi nealh, looks really good. My motor is on the front hub and I suffered a spin out. I've since replaced the forks - wanted to fit a torque arm, but the spindle on my motor only has a very short section with flats nearest the hub, so couldn't fit. Does your motor have flats the whole length of the spindle?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Morsmana,
Yes the CST spindle is flat along the whole length that is visible.
In your case if you used the AR washers on the inside can you not possibly use a thin torque arm on the inside of the ARw. How about a pic of your front end set up :eek:( ooh matron).
The cycleezee torques were quite chunky for my fit so I did have to get my grinder out to reduce them by half of the thickness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The front motor kits use a SWX type motor that has a round 10mm axle. Only the anti-rotation washers stop the spin-out, and there's no chance to fit a torque arm. To resist the torque, you have to do up the axle nuts very tight. The torque is resisted by the friction rather than the anti-rotation washers. Make sure you have the right size washers in your drop-outs to get a nice even pressure.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
The front motor kits use a SWX type motor that has a round 10mm axle. Only the anti-rotation washers stop the spin-out, and there's no chance to fit a torque arm. To resist the torque, you have to do up the axle nuts very tight. The torque is resisted by the friction rather than the anti-rotation washers. Make sure you have the right size washers in your drop-outs to get a nice even pressure.
Thanks for this. Think I found out the hard way! I ground out the ends of the forks to take the anti rotation washer - think I had it 180 deg out. Any how today I finished the bike and went out for a short ride - what a laugh! Wires to the controller too short to fit in the end of the battery pack nicely so ended up fitting an small bag.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for this. Think I found out the hard way! I ground out the ends of the forks to take the anti rotation washer - think I had it 180 deg out. Any how today I finished the bike and went out for a short ride - what a laugh! Wires to the controller too short to fit in the end of the battery pack nicely so ended up fitting an small bag.
As a general point, a serrated flange nut is good when tightness/locking is important.

A drop of light oil on either thread will enable you to nip up any nut tighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_nut

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
My top lessons learnt/ feedback ideas to Oxy having finished my front wheel conversion.
1. Have larger diameter axles with flats, as the rear conversion kit has.
2. Have longer connections at the controller - they don't bend easily inside the battery pack. Alternatively make the container at the end of the battery pack bigger.
3. The pannier rack is completely over engineered, standard panniers can't clip over the large diameter bars. I'm now looking to adapt a standard pannier rack to hold the battery
4. Improve the installation instructions with some decent photos!!
5. The whole speed sensor installation took a lot of trial and error, needing a new non shimano bottom bracket.
Even with all these - it's been ages since I mucked around making bikes

Reactions: Torque

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Think I'll get some......
There is a deluxe flange nut in which the flange is a rotating washer.

When the serrations grip on the fixing, the washer stops turning while you continue to tighten the nut.

The advantage is the serrations are pushed onto the fixing, rather than being dragged across it, meaning they grip better after you've stopped tightening.

Interesting things, nuts.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
WOW!!!:D. What a blast. First ride out today ( 30% road 70% off road )
on the lighter weight Mtrax/Oxydrive she (because it looks quite good) comes in at about 17.5kg, 9kg less than my BBS/Norco. The ride compared to the BBS is noisier, though to me the nosie generated appears to me to be coming from the controller rather than the hub. Top whack I got on the flat was 24mph and took it a bit easier off road as I didn't want to have a spill but managed a respectable 17mph at times.The torque on the off road muddy tracks up hill was impressive had to dismount twice so I didn't end up in the claggy stuff as I pulled wheelies also torque was good going through the mud at slow speed. Only did a 19.1 km ride mainly to check all was well, used up 2 bars power indicator on the lcd, power setting 3 and assist 4 or 5.Had to wipe the magnet ring a couple of times as it got caked, need to have a look at the brake cut off positioning as it is too fine and the pas wouldn't cut in on three occasions. Other wise I'm very impressed and the Oydrive is certainly :cool:.

paulie123

Just Joined
Jan 27, 2015
I know very little about kits, but the Oxygen MTB rides a treat, so as d8 says, this is a very cheap way into one.

http://www.oxydrive.co.uk/sale/sale-oxydrive-cst-ht-13ah.html
Rob is this offer still available do you think?
It says out of stock but offer is on January.

Going over the offer again it says till 01/07, so it must of been only on for the first week of January. I will keep an eye out for a kit like this in the future.

Had to surrender my drivers license under medical grounds and buses are a nightmare to commute in so this seems like the next logical step for me. The thread was an enjoyable read guys, im glad i found this forum as there is so much to learn an every post i read on this board,im learning something. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Paulie,
Oxydrive 13ah cst are now £699 in Jan sale usually £799, the recent £499 new year offer was about a week only and for a few of us an offer not to be refused, but we may have missed it altogether had D8veh not seen it and posted it. So a big thanks to D8veh from me :D

paulie123

Just Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Hey Nealh, i missed the boat on that one unfortunately. But for the sake of saving £100 by buying it for £699 before the end of the month, i'm going to sit it out and refrain myself from panic buying. If i had of been wise to this ebike alternative means of travel back in late December then i would have snapped that first week of jan deal up too. I am glad you's who got the offer are enjoying the oxydrives. I will look forward to joining the club at some stage too :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before the Oxydrive offer came along I was going to get the 20a intergrated controller / LCD kit ( for 09 bottle which I have) which is plug and play from BMS Battery and a 250- 270 rpm 250/350w CST hub either Bafang or Mxus,
this I believe would have been as good an option. However the Xongda motor which D8veh has sourced appears to be even better.
If I'm not careful, I feel a third bike full susp could be in the build ???o_O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hello Paulie,
Oxydrive 13ah cst are now £699 in Jan sale usually £799, the recent £499 new year offer was about a week only and for a few of us an offer not to be refused, but we may have missed it altogether had D8veh not seen it and posted it. So a big thanks to D8veh from me :D
Do I get a percentage of the saving?

I think Andrew had such a good response to the offer that he sold out of the big CST kits. No doubt he'll get some more soon. It was always a good kit at the full price. I can't understand why hardly anybody bought them last year.At £479, they were an absolute steal. He can't have made much money on them at that price, but still he gave a no-quibble guarantee. Hopefully, you guys will spread the word, so he'll get some money back in the future.

paulie123

Just Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Hey Nealh, i will look into that. Thats a big help thanks, having it EU passed would have been really ideal for me which oxydrive have managed to do with their kit. I am thinking of making big trips, 65 miles to and from my Mum's once per week at the weekend weather permitting. So a round trip would be 130 miles, so i have been looking into the DIY batteries from this site too to get more mileage out of my journeys.

I will get something sorted soon because having to take the bus that distance which is easily achieved in 1hr.15minutes to my Mums by car into a 4 to 5 hour Journey via connecting buses is a complete turn off. I did take my road bike out last summer but took me 7hrs to get to my mothers and i was just ready for bed afterwards and wreaked, then had to bus it back to my home a day later lol.

Anyway, buses are too expensive and so much time is wasted on waiting on them and having to work round their schedule, ebike is cheap to run, will get me fitter and I will be able to come an go as i please so it's a win win.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Do I get a percentage of the saving?

I think Andrew had such a good response to the offer that he sold out of the big CST kits. No doubt he'll get some more soon. It was always a good kit at the full price. I can't understand why hardly anybody bought them last year.At £479, they were an absolute steal. He can't have made much money on them at that price, but still he gave a no-quibble guarantee. Hopefully, you guys will spread the word, so he'll get some money back in the future.
I've finally done it - finished installing everything, and it works (electrically that is)! there was one major hiccup - the small PAS on the non drive side even with the new BB didn't work - its too fat - I was stumped, feeling defeated when a nagging little voice reminded me that as I was installing the new BB I noted that it - very, very strangely - had a lip on the drive side - the PAS sensor fitted behind this really well and my old magnet ring sans its core (I meted it out with a powerful soldering iron) works perfectly. so, now once I've fitted the brake cut out and throttle ill give it a serious test and report back how it goes. thank you all, it's a first pedelec, for me, and I find it difficult to believe I actually assembled it

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I've finally done it - finished installing everything, and it works (electrically that is)! there was one major hiccup - the small PAS on the non drive side even with the new BB didn't work - its too fat - I was stumped, feeling defeated when a nagging little voice reminded me that as I was installing the new BB I noted that it - very, very strangely - had a lip on the drive side - the PAS sensor fitted behind this really well and my old magnet ring sans its core (I meted it out with a powerful soldering iron) works perfectly. so, now once I've fitted the brake cut out and throttle ill give it a serious test and report back how it goes. thank you all, it's a first pedelec, for me, and I find it difficult to believe I actually assembled it
ive tested it, it's great, 26mph on the level is easy, it climbs the steepest hill on the commute at 6 or 7mph with minimal effort, I attach some pics, so far it's great (had minor snag with break lever cutting motor out intermittently but it was because it was mounted too horizontally)

Attachments

Reactions: baldylox

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good to hear that it is all fitted and working now after the initial problems, great back up from Andrew with sending out new components.:) Drop bar kit conversion I doubt if there are to many of them out there, poor ole mamil's will be hopping :mad:.

Reactions: selrahc1992

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Good to hear that it is all fitted and working now after the initial problems, great back up from Andrew with sending out new components.:) Drop bar kit conversion I doubt if there are to many of them out there, poor ole mamil's will be hopping :mad:.
many thanks, speed is a funny thing, i got a pinch puncture last night because of a much higher constant speed than on an unpowered bike and finally not dodginig pot holes enough, the drop bars mean 26 plus mph constant feels curiously entirely safe and manageable (its what one would do anyway on a light racer circumstances permitting), i'm almight happy with the torque, i took myself a 25kg backpack and a 5 kg lock and chain (that's 90kg altogether) plus the 20 odd kg bike up a very steep hill with very little effort at six plus mph

dbar

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2013
Anybody used a half twist throttle with this kit. Or know where to source one that won't need much modification to fit.