Warranty

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
I've had my Freego Hawk for almost four months. From the outset, the rear light's been faulty. After the dealer replaced it with a light suffering from exactly the same symptom, I decided to contact Freego, who got back to me upon discovering a design fault with this unit. They suggested I replace it with a light from a bike shop.

Fine, I suppose. Only I'm a bit confused by Freego's guarantee and not sure whether I'm supposed to fork out for a replacement. I've read that lights are covered for one year, but have also read that they're not covered at all.

Which brings me to my main issue. The bike is back at the dealer's again with a motor problem. Freego say it's one among a bad batch they received and asked my dealer to send them the entire rear wheel. Problem is, given the Chinese holidays it could take some time to replace. Don't Freego, under the terms of their first-year guarantee to customers, offer a brand new bike if they can't fix it within five working days? Or would they need to have in their possession the whole bike instead of one of its wheels?

D

Deleted member 4366

They say that you get a new bike if they can't fix it within 5 days. That sounds pretty clear to me. Don't they have a spare motor wheel in stock?

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
Yes but if you read the small-print, they say five working days while they have the bike, not counting transportation time. And a wheel ain't a bike. (At least not in this particular situation.)

The dealer mentioned the China problem to me, over the phone. So I assumed they have no good stock.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Andy you gave the dealer the whole bike. They only took the wheel the default is not your responsibility. New bike time. And sale of goods act merchantable quality. Dose it do what you expect?
A dead rear light needs replacing and isn't enough on its own to return the bike but no electric drive on electric bike isn't merchantable quality.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

The dealer mentioned the China problem to me, over the phone. So I assumed they have no good stock.
are you saying that your dealer expects a new wheel from China after their lunar new year holiday? that can't be right, the staff come back at the beginning at March, even if they send you a new wheel, the boat takes at least 6 weeks to arrrive, you won't see something from China until early May.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Contact FWG direct. They will definitely help you out with this. Their service team probably have no knowledge of the problem and will be only too willing to solve the issue. A quick call is all that is needed!

Reactions: Emo Rider and flecc

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
Appreciating the input.

I just called the dealer again, who tells me I will have the fixed bike back next week. He didn't seem to be aware of Freego's new bike policy. I don't really know what's going on.

All I do know is that at the very soonest I will have been without the bike for ten days.

Last edited:

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
I rang Freego, who claim to have had the wheel just two days before sending my dealer a replacement.

How long does it take to replace a rear wheel? Thirteen days and counting...

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Although this case does not involve us I can comment on our experiences, I have found FreeGo to be excellent and sending out parts and dealing with warranty problems. We have had one wheel replaced and it only took a couple of days.

Although most importantly I hope you get back on the road soon.

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks. I'm not sure the company is to blame for the delay. Shall speak with the dealer this afternoon.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I've had my Freego Eagle 3.5 years now. On the very few occasions I have wanted advice or parts, Freego have provided prompt and excellent service. My bike is still working very well and I've had no problems. When the time comes to upgrade I will very likely buy Freego again.

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
Have the bike now. Took exactly a fortnight. Now to try and find a mirror that doesn't require butchering the end of my handlebar in order to fit it, which is what my dealer wanted to do :/

Thanks for keeping me company :)

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015
Last edited:

Advertisers